Mary Landrieu response to Health Care

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Has anyone else recieved this letter?

November 13, 2009 Dear Mr. Hollier: Thank you for contacting me about health care reform. As a nation, we have debated this issue not just for years, but for generations. The status quo is no longer an option for Louisianans who struggle every day with skyrocketing costs and few choices. If we do nothing, the federal government will simply go broke over the next several decades. If we do nothing, Medicare will be bankrupt in less than ten years. And if we do nothing, middle class families in Louisiana will be spending up to 60% of their household income on health insurance by 2016. While we have come a long way towards reforming our broken system, Senate health care legislation is still taking shape and your input is invaluable as I continue to advocate for Louisiana. As you may know, I have been a co-sponsor of the "Healthy American's Act" (S.391) which guarantees every American high-quality, private health insurance that is portable from job to job. I support the bipartisan principles in this bill, many of which are included in the current proposals before Congress. These common ground principles include consumer protections which prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions or dropping coverage if you become seriously ill. They will also limit out-of-pocket costs, ensure free preventive care, end gender discrimination, eliminate annual or lifetime caps on coverage and extend coverage for young adults. While most Members of Congress support these protections, there remains a great deal of work to achieve the right kind of health care reform. Let me be clear about what my priorities are as we move forward: " I support health care reform that will reign in out-of-control costs without out adding one dollar to the national deficit. We need to lower our costs if we are to stay competitive in the global economy. " As the Chair of the Senate Committee on Small Business, one of my top priorities is to ensure affordable insurance and organized choice for small businesses. " A competitive marketplace will provide Louisiana consumers with access to low-cost, stable health insurance. We must increase competition and choice in Louisiana where today, the top two health insurance companies dominate 87% of the individual insurance market. Providing more and better private choices will help taxpayers hold insurance companies accountable and drive down costs. " Health care reform must provide subsidies to low-income and middle class families to purchase health insurance, thereby giving them greater choice and affordable coverage. " Health care reform must include legislation that ensures every child so vulnerable that they had to be placed in foster care has consistent and portable health insurance coverage. It must guarantee that foster youth are never dropped from coverage and create a safety net so they continue to be covered even after they age out of the system. Opponents of reform have circulated a lot of misinformation about what health care reform will mean. I'd like to set the record straight on a few things. Health insurance reform will not create a government-run system with rationing. The reality is that insurance companies are already rationing your care. Right now insurance companies dictate what services you can and cannot get, not based on what you need or the best treatment, but based on the kind of insurance you have. Moreover, given the uncontrolled costs without reform, there is no guarantee that you can keep your coverage even if you like it. I am fighting for real reform to make sure that everyone has stable access to health insurance even if they change jobs or get sick. Here are some other facts about the bill before the Senate: " Eliminating the fraud and waste in Medicare Advantage will not affect benefits for seniors. Medicare will be safe and stronger with reform. " Members of Congress will not be exempt from reform. " Reform will expand your choices, not limit them. " There is no panel to decide end-of-life care in any of the bills. " Reform will not cover illegal immigrants. " Taxpayer dollars will not be used to pay for abortion. Misinformation like this stopped health care reform 16 years ago, and since then our costs have sky-rocketed. Between 1996 and 2006 alone, the average annual premium for family coverage obtained through an employer increased by 85 percent. We simply cannot afford the status quo. I am also committed to a transparent and informed public debate on this key issue. In fact, I recently joined seven of my colleagues in a letter urging the Senate leadership for increased transparency and public engagement as the health care debate moves to the Senate floor. We asked that the complete budget score and entire bill be posted publicly online for at least 72 hours before it is brought to a vote. I believe it is critical that constituents have the opportunity to evaluate these policies and communicate their concerns or support to their Members of Congress. As the Senate discusses health care reform, I want to hear from Louisianans, answer questions and keep you updated about what I am doing. That is why I have launched several new outreach initiatives. These new activities include a weekly internet address available via YouTube at www.youtube.com/SenatorLandrieu. I will also be conducting telephone town halls and local radio talk show interviews. Additionally, my office sends out a weekly email newsletter with newsworthy items and surveys that give Louisianans the opportunity to send feedback on which aspects of the health care debate are most important to them and what specific issues they would like to see addressed. To sign up, visit my website at http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/. Again, thank you for taking the time to send me your input and concerns on health care reform. Health care reform is not about Washington games; it is about the millions of Americans throughout this country who pay thousands of dollars to insurance companies and then get cut from coverage when they need it most. In the end, my main goal is to ensure that whatever Congress does will lower costs to families, small businesses and the nation. I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. With warmest regards, I am Sincerely, Mary L. Landrieu United States Senator P.S. I am excited to announce that my office is launching new e-newsletters to keep you updated on what I am working on here in Washington, D.C. If you would like to receive the e-newsletter, please go to http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail. Please include your zip code and interest areas so I can stay in touch about issues you care about most. MLL:jas

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    She has stated publically she is against the public option. What ever that means. As a health care provider and business owner I am constantly fighting with insurance companies to get paid properly. It's a constant fight that I have one employee doing which runs my costs up even more.

I personally feel United Health Insurance should be banned from doing business in Louisiana. Some of my patients "copays" are 66% of the contracted payment which is one of the lowest in the industry. That means United pays 33% and the patient pays 66%. Their CEO made over $300 million in five years on the backs of people like me. May his soul burn in Hell. :mad:

People have no clue what they are purchasing when they buy health insurance. They look for the lowest premium and expect it to be a Cadillac plan. Then they are astonished if they have any out of pocket expenses and expect the provider to eat them. How many business owners on the board can take a 20%-30% reduction for services and stay in business? Don't get me wrong the government will not do any better. But we need to revamp out HC system. We DO NOT need the government running it. But legislation could greatly improve it.

Rant Off...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So, the gist is she is in favor of the bill that Congress approved??

I Love Grits

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    My response:

Senator Landrieu,

I recently came across an email you have sent out to fellow Louisianans who are asking of your position of the health care bill. I have read the email and my thoughts are as follows:

While I do agree that the health care system needs updating and revamping, it should not be done in this manner. History shows just how successful government run programs are: the Post Office, Medicare, Medicaid etc. A change this drastic is merely asking for disaster, and if our nations continually rising rate of unemployment does not make you question your party’s judgment in rushing decisions, I'm not sure what will.

After reading through your long-winded email in which you begin by stating “If we do nothing, the federal government will simply go broke over the next several decades." I can't help but to think of a certain stimulus bill that was passed, and wonder why our government may be going broke.

I will make my point simple, as I wish you will do from now on if you choose to contact me: If you vote for the proposed health care bill you WILL NOT, repeat WILL NOT, receive a vote from me or my family members this next election year. I can assure you of an ever-growing group of my fellow statesmen that are taking on this same mentality. It does not matter what you may have done, or say you will do in other areas of politics: vote for the current health care bill and you will simply be voted against in 2010.

Jake Dale

Geardo

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Carencro
    Insurance is the problem, all insurance should be illegal, all of it, no health insurance, no car insurance, no malpractice, no life insurance. It's the root of all problems with cost and regulation in America, virtually all lawyers will be unemployed, millions of regulators gone, insurance agents gone, scams gone, billions in paperwork gone.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Didn't Trent Lott say something to the effect that insurance company executives should be tried along side murderers, rapists, and child molesters? I don't agree with everything old Lott says but, I really don't like insurance companies.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I think some of the blame can be laid upon the health care industry as well.

No doubt. There are greedy unethical people in all professions.

Mary's quote below proves the point why we don't need a government run option. The one we have now will be insolvent in less than ten years. The plan is to force younger healthier people into the government plan and prop it up. But in time it too will fail. Then what? Rationing.

Medicare will be bankrupt in less than ten years. And if we do nothing, middle class families in Louisiana will be spending up to 60% of their household income on health insurance by 2016.

I Love Grits

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Update:

Got an email from Landrieu's office, and it was the EXACT same email I was chastising her for.

I sent her office back this :

Senator Landrieu (or should I say automated response system),

It is beyond clear you did not read my original email, and I sincerely doubt you even opened it for that matter. If so, you would have known the WHOLE reason I was originally writing was to chastise you for your massive form email in which you skirt around your actual views, and pump so much frivolous political banter into a massive clump. You would think if you were planning to only send out only one email, you would actually follow basic grammar rules and use the "enter" key to create paragraphs.

It has now come to attention that on page 432 of the Reid bill there is a section increasing federal Medicaid subsidies for “certain states recovering from a major disaster.” Please don't let the bribery of fellow Senators to try and win your vote cloud you of your responsibility as an elected official of this state. You are there to serve us - not push your political viewpoint or agenda onto this state's people. You are not there to uphold your own values, or do what you think is best; but to follow the wishes of those that pay your salary.

I mentioned in my previous email to your office that if you voted yes to the Reid bill, your candidate in the 2010 elections would have my vote - regardless of who that may be. I have changed that promise in light of your inability to hire someone who actually reads and responds appropriately to an email, as that is a direct indication of your feelings towards those that you serve. Regardless of your decision in the Reid bill, I will be voting for your opponent in the 2010 election. I deserve to have someone in office know my viewpoint, and not decide my future or that of my family's for me because they think they know what is best.

Jake Dale

Regardless of your viewpoints of things, I think its safe to say everyone here would like to know their voice is heard and is not muted by an automated response system. Vote her ass out in 2010 and let's make it known.

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    Update:

Got an email from Landrieu's office, and it was the EXACT same email I was chastising her for.

I sent her office back this :

Regardless of your viewpoints of things, I think its safe to say everyone here would like to know their voice is heard and is not muted by an automated response system. Vote her ass out in 2010 and let's make it known.

+100000000000000 EXCELLENT

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I received the same response from Senator Landrieu, as did my friends. Here is an email I sent to a friend discussing the whole issue. It's a little long but it sums up my thoughts.

I’m not very optimistic that we can stop this thing. In all seriousness, I feel America slipping away.

But even if we do, something substantive MUST be done about the cost of health care. Our system delivers medicines and procedures that are astonishing in their efficacy and breadth. But it delivers them at prices we cannot afford. My wife and I are paying almost $800 per month for our health insurances. That plus deductibles and copays totals more than $10,000 per year. That is more than most people can pay.

A recent issue of Investors Business Daily had an op-ed piece by Thomas Sowell that is an excellent read. It’s an excerpt from his new book and it discusses the difference between the cost and the price of medical care. He points out that government can control the price consumers pay but not the total cost of providing the care. The cost not directly paid by the consumers’ price must be paid somehow. It reminded me of the old example of stepping on a water balloon. It compresses where you step, but there is a compensating expansion elsewhere.

Price control is a zero sum game. And price control is what is in use in the countries that liberals tout as examples of successful schemes. France, for example, delivers excellent medical care at consumer prices that are eye-poppingly small to us. But their deficit is soaring out of control and taxpayers will be called to account sooner or later. Canada controls prescription drug prices for the consumer but the compensating cost is that United States consumers subsidize that through higher domestic prices. England has the oldest system, therefore the longest term to get it right. They suffer from a chronic lack of doctors and dentists. Costs are not controlled by price controls.

But how to control the costs? The current mantra of eliminating waste, fraud and abuse is not new and remains insulting to the thinking person. There is no low hanging fruit to be had there or it would have been already harvested. If the administration truly believes there is, then they are derelict in their duty by waiting for a new law to pursue them. I believe they know the truth and are proving themselves to be liars in the eyes of anyone willing to look honestly at the statement.

All those involved in the delivery of medical care need to do some serious self examination. My father-in-law once recounted the admonition of one of his dental school professors in the late 1930s. “Medicine is a noble profession, but you’ll never get rich at it.” How far we’ve gone down from that! Doctors live in mansions. The lawyers that sue them are our modern robber barons. The insurance companies stand in the middle, profiting from denying all comers for as long as they can. It is an unholy iron triangle. It is the synthesis of why we are where we are.

I don’t know what the answers are, but I know we need to begin to seriously look for them. Conservatives have been, in my estimation, derelict in their societal duty in this area. That created a vacuum that liberals successfully filled with their promises. Some of us see through these age old demagogueries for what they are. But these age old lies are age old because they work. And our guilt is in having provided the opening.

Top Bottom