MED Pak for BOB

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm wanting to assemble a good Medical pak just for my BOB that I keep in my truck and also my bigger one at home.

I'm not wanting to spend some of the Big $$ that some of these medical paks have. Now when it comes to the quality of supplies I don't want to cut corners, but some of this stuff just doesn't make sense. Now I'm no medic, but I just want to have plenty of the basics, plus some specialty items that would make it nice to have on hand.

Also it's been years(ARMY) since I've had recurring training in First-Aid or advanced First-Aid so where would someone go as a civilian to go through a basic course again and then maybe a step up from basic?

I'm not preparing for Armageddon, but I know that it could come in hand some day.
    Thanks!

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Guidelines Summary for BLS Healthcare Providers (12 pages) - American Heart Association Page 5/12

Airway and Breathing
    General
    Excessive ventilation (too many breaths per minute or breaths that are too large or too forceful) may be harmful and should not be performed.
    Opening the airway remains a priority for an unresponsive trauma victim with suspected cervical spine injury; if a jaw thrust without head extension does not open the airway, healthcare providers should use the head tilt–chin lift maneuver.
    Breaths in all age groups should be delivered over 1 second and should produce visible chest rise.
    When the victim has an advanced airway (eg, endotracheal tube, LMA, Combitube) in place, CPR is no longer performed as “cycles” of compressions with pauses for breaths. The compressor gives continuous compressions. The rescuer giving breaths should give 1 breath every 6 to 8 seconds (about 8 to 10 breaths/minute).

Adult
    When giving 2 breaths at the beginning of the CPR sequence or during cycles of compressions and breaths, if the chest does not rise after the first breath, the rescuer should try again to open the airway before giving the second breath.
    Rescue Breathing Without Chest Compressions: Give 1 breath every 5 to 6 seconds (about 10 to 12 breaths/minute).

Child
    When giving 2 breaths at the beginning of the CPR sequence or during cycles of compressions and breaths, if the chest does not rise after the first breath, the rescuer should try again to open the airway before giving the second breath. Healthcare providers may need to try “a couple of times” to open the airway and deliver effective breaths (ie, breaths that produce visible chest rise) for child victims.
    Rescue Breathing Without Chest Compressions: Give 1 breath every 3 to 5 seconds (about 12 to 20 breaths/minute).

Infant
    When giving 2 breaths at the beginning of the CPR sequence or during cycles of compressions and breaths, if the chest does not rise after the first breath, the rescuer should try again to open the airway before giving the second breath. Healthcare providers may need to try “a couple of times” to open the airway and deliver effective breaths (ie, breaths that produce visible chest rise) for infant victims.
    Rescue Breathing Without Chest Compressions: Give 1 breath every 3 to 5 seconds (about 12 to 20 breaths/minute).

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    The above are the old recommendations for BLS. Current research shows that an increase in the number of compressions is more benefitial. The AHA recommends a compression-to-ventilation ratio of 30:2 for all lone (single) rescuers to use for all victims from infants (excluding newborns) through adults. This recommendation applies to all lay rescuers and to all healthcare providers who perform 1-rescuer CPR. For the most up to date information regarding lifesaving instructions, go to www.americanheartassociation.com. This is the newsletter that I receive from the AHA. May give yall some helpful information! http://www.americanheartassociation.com/downloadable/heart/1132621842912Winter2005.pdf

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    So what about a list of the items needed in the MedPak? That's mainly what I was talking about.

All kits are different. I can only tell you what I have in mine - keep in mind I have mine mostly for MVA's, ATV trips, going to the camp - stuff like that. Tailor yours to whatever you feel you need (children etc.) This is what is in mine: CPR mask, gloves, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, gauze, tape(foam & plastic), chloraprep (disinfectant), ace wraps, aspirin, benadryl (pills & cream), tampons (used to pack wounds), tweezers, cold pack (activated by shaking), antiseptic wipes, burn cream, scissors, sanitizing hand gel, tournaquet, bandaids (all shapes & sizes) and a foil blanket. I am sure there is other stuff, I just can't recall all of it! Perhaps mine is overboard, but I would rather be prepared and know that I was able to help to the best of my ability. Oh, and I keep all of it in a easy to carry, clear rubbermaid tote.:D

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This is a list that I copied off another site...Some of the items are pricey like the Celox and other specialties. How does this look? I see that yours has some not mentioned here.

[FONT=&quot]MTC (Mutli Trauma Case) Inventory[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Quantity Product Description[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 Pelican Case W/ Inserts[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 Asherman Chest Seal[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10 1"x3" Band Aid Cloth[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Fingertip Band Aid Cloth[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Knuckle Band Aid Cloth[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Alcohol Preps[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Hydrocortisone Cream Packets[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Triple Antibiotic Cream Packets[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 CELOX 35 gram packet[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 CELOX Packets (Small)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Steri Strips[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Transpore Medical Tape 1"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Transpore Medical Tape 2"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Window Punch[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Sharpie Pen[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Surefire Nitrolon G2[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 OPA Airway Kit 6 Piece[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 NPA Airway[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 Z-Pack Gauze[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 Izzy Pressure Bandages 6"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Tourniquet[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 Kerlix 4.5" Rolls[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 Kerlix 2" Rolls[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Cold Compress[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Heat Pack[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 4"x4" Sterile Gauze Sponges[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2 Elastic Bandage 3"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Elastic Bandage 6"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 SAM Splint (36" Gray)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3 Latex Gloves (Pair)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3 Oral Glutose 37 Gram Tubes[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Alcohol Gel Hand Cleaner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Chem-Light 12"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 Chem-Light 6'[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Benadril[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Aspirin Pack[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Tylenol Pack[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 Ant-Acid[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Eye Magnet & Loop Tool[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Window Punch[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Mylar Emergency Blanket[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 "Bite Stick"[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Seatbelt Cutter[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Trauma Shears[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 Dramamine 25mg 8 Tablet Tube[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3 Eye Wash 4oz Bottles[/FONT]

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    The above are the old recommendations for BLS.... [/url]

i just got recertified, thats straight from the aha online course

http://onlineaha.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=info.bls

but this slide is also useful:

CPR

During cardiac arrest, there is no blood flow. Chest compressions create a small amount of blood flow to the vital organs such as the brain and heart – the more effective the chest compressions, the more blood flow is produced. Chest compressions that are too shallow or too slow or chest compressions that are interrupted frequently do not deliver as much blood flow to the brain and heart as effective chest compressions. Every time chest compressions are restarted following an interruption, the first few compressions are not as effective as later compressions. Frequent or prolonged interruptions in chest compressions decrease blood flow and the victim’s chance of survival.

With these facts in mind, key points to remember are:

Minimize the number and length of interruptions in chest compressions.
    Try to limit interruptions to 10 seconds or less unless necessary for specific interventions such as advanced airway placement or defibrillation.
    The compressor should allow for full chest recoil following each compression.
    To reduce the chances of fatigue affecting the quality of compressions, the rescuers should change compressors frequently, about every 2 minutes when the rhythm is checked.

General
    The lone rescuer in the prehospital setting should activate the emergency response system and get the AED (“phone first”) and then return to the victim and begin CPR and use the AED for most adults and for children with sudden, witnessed collapse. This sequence does not apply if the victim is an infant or has a likely asphyxial arrest (eg, an adult with drowning or an infant or a child with unwitnessed arrest).
    The lone healthcare provider in the prehospital setting should give “CPR first” (provide about 5 cycles or approximately 2 minutes of CPR) before activating the emergency response number for unresponsive infants and children and for victims of all ages with likely hypoxic respiratory arrest (eg, drowning, injury, drug overdose).
    During 2-rescuer CPR with an advanced airway in place, rescuers no longer provide cycles of compressions with pauses for ventilation. The compressor provides continuous compressions and the rescuer who provides rescue breaths gives 1 breath every 6 to 8 seconds (about 8 to 10 breaths per minute).
    Healthcare providers should use a 30:2 compression-to-ventilation ratio for 1-rescuer CPR for victims of all ages and for 2-rescuer CPR for adults. Healthcare providers should use a 15:2 compression-to-ventilation ratio for 2-rescuer CPR for infants and children.

Last edited:

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Looks like a good medical kit. Unless you are trained and competent at using, you could eliminate the airways - probably high cost and not so effective if not used properly. Glucose is always good to have onhand. Just remember that you can improvise. Instead of a splint, you can use a stick, etc. Gauze is great, but for absorbtion, you can't beat a tampon - and their smaller size makes them a little more portable. Seatbelt cutter is a good idea, I have a super dooper pair of bandage scissors that will cut through almost anything. Also, I would get a basic first aid booklet. Something that tells you signs and symptoms of different illnesses like: stroke, hypoglycemia, MI... stuff like that

Boolie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    South Louisiana
    sorry nola - i misread your post, your information is totally correct! Guess i need to do a little less multitasking! As far as where to take a class Enal, you can take it online, but I am not sure of all the details. Also, on the AHA website you can enter your zip code and it will tell you where classes are offered. It is also often listed in the classified section of our newspaper. I know at the cajun dome in Lafayette they used to have a weekend where you could get CPR certified for little or no cost(all in the name of hurricane preperation). Another place to check is with the Red Cross - their training and certification are slightly different than the American Heart Association but I am sure the basics are the same.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom