Mepro M21 reticle options Help me decide

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbrevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA
    Ok so I need some feedback. Which would be the best reflex sight reticle for my 300 BLK? I cant decide. It would be used for CQ out to 200 yards. Anyone with first hand knowledge, likes-n- gripes, or just baseless opinions...:p

Note the color of the images below are off. It is actually an orange reticle in a bluish tinted lense (Not yellow inside puke green) as to provide contrast. You know, orange opposite of blue on the color wheel... Art class 101.

From the article:
    " ...Mepro M21 is available with four reticle options, standard 5.5 MOA dot, a 3.5 MOA dot within a target, a 12-.3 MOA triangle, and an X crosshair, so they’ve pretty well got all the popular configurations covered..." m242.jpeg

dbrevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA
    Why not just get an eo tech or an aimpoint?

Because I like the idea of a non-electronic, battery free no moving parts, aiming device that has no buttons or adjustments and never turns off. Its just always there ready to go like iron sights...but better.

I just wanted an opinion on the reticle choice that is offered.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    My understanding is that the triangle will probably work best for what you describe. If you have eyes good enough to shoot 200 yards with that sight, then zero the top point of the triangle at 200 yards and the center of the triangle should be dead on for 50 yards and in. 100 yards will hit a little over the top of the triangle.
    Imo, the other reticles will require more guess work at range. If I'm wrong someone more knowledgeable please correct me.

dbrevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA
    My understanding is that the triangle will probably work best for what you describe. If you have eyes good enough to shoot 200 yards with that sight, then zero the top point of the triangle at 200 yards and the center of the triangle should be dead on for 50 yards and in. 100 yards will hit a little over the top of the triangle.
    Imo, the other reticles will require more guess work at range. If I'm wrong someone more knowledgeable please correct me.

Yeah, 200 may be a little over confident with a reflex and my eyesight. But I see you point about the hold-overs., except I am thinking 100 yd at the top of the triangle 200 yd at the bottom and 50 is center. I would just have to find the best zero ditance for this to work.
    Thanks for the insight, good point.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have an m21 with the amber triangle, I love it.
    For me, if it was zeroed on the tip at 100 the bottom was on at 25 with my 16" ar shooting 5.56.
    On the .308 ar with the same zero it performed almost the same.

Now, the gripes, if it's very sunny or the reticle is placed over a bright surface (ie white paper) the reticle "ghosts out" or disappears. Another problem you might run into shooting at further distances is, the elevation and windage adjustments aren't that fine. One click will probable move your poa a couple inches at 200. That would make it hard to sight it in.
    My final gripe to consider is, the sight is only guarantees 10 years of useable light :( that's not good for a 400-600 dollar sight!
    I have a $100 sight mark eotech copy that has a lifetime warranty, but it takes batteries. Has to be turned on and off, and is not water proof.

Just my $.2

dbrevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA
    For me, if it was zeroed on the tip at 100 the bottom was on at 25 with my 16" ar shooting 5.56.

Now, the gripes, if it's very sunny or the reticle is placed over a bright surface (ie white paper) the reticle "ghosts out" or disappears. Another problem you might run into shooting at further distances is, the elevation and windage adjustments aren't that fine. One click will probable move your poa a couple inches at 200. That would make it hard to sight it in.
    My final gripe to consider is, the sight is only guarantees 10 years of useable light :( that's not good for a 400-600 dollar sight!
    I have a $100 sight mark eotech copy that has a lifetime warranty, but it takes batteries. Has to be turned on and off, and is not water proof.

Just my $.2

Hmmm, I was thinking the washout issue was only in severe conditions like looking from a dark room through a window to a sunlit snow bank or some ****. I heard you had to almost try to produce a condition of complete washout. That is disapointing to hear. Thanks for letting me know about that.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond

Just my $.2
    Same exact issues that I've seen guys on the range having with the Tirjicon equivalent.

To the op.....if I had to pick a reticle, I would personally go with the Bull's Eye. For some reason I notice that having a circle around a dot pulls my eye quickly to the center of the reticle. The 4.3 MOA OR 5.5 MOA dot size is way too large IMHO. I was shooting with a guy at a course that had an RX30. He didn't even make it past the zeroing portion of the course before he was asking me to swap it for an Aimpoint PRO. A dot that covers more than 2" of target at distance is huge especially the further out you go.

I don't know if you are using the optic for this purpose but here is something else to think about. Let's say you are using the optic to engage a target in a defense/offensive manner. In my experience you don't always get a full presentation of the target. You might have an elbow or shoulder or some other small body part. If we are using a large size dot, you will quickly notice that is more difficult to get a shot on that small target since your aiming point is so large. Again I'm not sure if you are wanting to use the sight for this purpose but I wanted to bring it up just in case.

As an aside the optic is going to have moving parts so I'm not understanding your above statement. The erector is going to move allowing the sight to be zeroed for a specific distance. Please don't take this as being mean or condescending I'm just trying to understand the statement about "no moving parts"

.....Because I like the idea of a non-electronic, battery free no moving parts, aiming device that has no buttons or adjustments and never turns off. Its just always there ready to go like iron sights...but better.

I just wanted an opinion on the reticle choice that is offered.

Last edited:

dbrevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA
    Yeah, I guess it has moving parts after all. I was just thinking about on-off and dimmer buttons, of course it must move internaly to adjust the aim. Good point. The- no electronics to get wet- and -no battery to die or degrade or bounce around with recoil- were the biggest advantages to me so im still interested but not sold yet.
    I like the bullseye as well, that was my first choice, and its 3.5 MOA center point seemed reasonably small enough and still smaller than a standard front post. The advantage of the triangle is the tip is a precision aim point but this is only usefull at a given range. Further targets would be, presumably, inside the triangle.
    oh well the delima continues...thanks for the feedback.

Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA
    I've got the bullseye reticle in mine on my Tavor. I haven't had any issues with it yet & I like the reticle. +1 on the circled dot "pulling" your eye to the dot itself.

Shannon

dbrevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    Dry Prong, LA

Just my $.2

Oh I wanted to ask you...can you see through the triangle clearly enough to see an object or image inside the triangle? I assume its somewhat transperent during daylight right? You could presumably see the x ring of a paper target within the reticle?

Top Bottom