Militarization of police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    a lot of everyday citizens rape women and murder children.

my point is don't allow a few asshats to skew your opinion of the general group.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Just one dude's opinion, here.....No doubt the aftermath of Katrina was a cluster-f. Lots of people pouring in- completely unfamiliar with LA laws. I guess some mistakes were almost bound to happen....but yeah- relieving the law-abiding of their weapons is never right. It won't fly, here in Louisiana.

Thankfully, enough people sounded the alarm, and federal law has been passed since then to ensure this doesn't happen again. It should have always been that way.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yeah, Pour me another glass of that Kool-Aid Please !

Attachments

• WEAPONS OF WAR 3.jpg
      WEAPONS OF WAR 3.jpg
      141 KB · Views: 90

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A mrap is a weapon?

Only when it doesn't get stuck right after leaving the beaten path...

Also, an MRAP isn't a tank. It's a wheeled vehicle with a body precariously perched atop 2 or 3 axles, very heavy and not very maneuverable.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I do and it's scary.

They may escalate a situation that can best be dealt with another less violent way.

"Hey, I got this big gun and I wanna use it."

"Escalate," think of it.

Then again, they may be going after a specific individual(s) that have already committed a violent act and want to be damn sure they have means to get rough with them if God Forbid it comes to that.
    Which is more times than not the case. I want them to have the means to do this. It is a fact that these means actually end up SAVING LIVES- for both parties involved.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Then again, they may be going after a specific individual(s) that have already committed a violent act and want to be damn sure they have means to get rough with them if God Forbid it comes to that.
    Which is more times than not the case. I want them to have the means to do this. It is a fact that these means actually end up SAVING LIVES- for both parties involved.

I essentially agree and ideally there would be some control over the situation. You want the good guys to greatly over-match the bad guy.

Judicious use of deadly force is a hard game to play well.

We are most assuredly on the same page.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I thought I read a story just a few years ago that the military was using lightly armored hmmwv's in Iraq and Afghanistan because there weren't enough mraps to go around and our troops were getting killed by IED's?

So now MRAPs are surplus? I'd be willing to bet MRAP's are a good bit more expensive than hmmwv's. Why aren't they giving away hmmwv's to police? If they don't need mraps then sell them to allied governments instead of giving them to local police departments! Or put them in storage until they are needed again. I'm sure if they're worn out then rebuilding them would be cheaper than buying new.

Or hell, sell them to civilians to turn into RV's! Either way, get some money to pay down our debt!

As far as militarizing out police force I have mixed feelings. I like to see our LEO's protected. Our Islamic population is growing and there is a history of them bombing civilian targets. Not to mention an influx of real terrorist coming across the Mexican border. I can see that becoming a problem over the next two decades. Not that I would want to see every officer driving an MRAP (just the fuel bill!) but large city swat teams do have a need for one or two to deal with barricaded subjects.

On the negative side, the second amendment is there to deal with tyranical governments. If the police are all driving MRAP's (Assuming the ones that support the constitution tell the tyranical government to take a flying leap and the cops are all bad guys) then countering them becomes more difficult from long range. This would also apply should a (pulling out tinfoil hat here) UN force (or any other non-US) find a reason to invade (don't laugh- they could enter for 'peaceful' reasons such as natural disaster, riot suppression, etc. and get carried away).

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Relax, It's for the good of the people and more importantly good for the children !

Uncle Sugar has our back's, Trust him !

I thought I read a story just a few years ago that the military was using lightly armored hmmwv's in Iraq and Afghanistan because there weren't enough mraps to go around and our troops were getting killed by IED's?

So now MRAPs are surplus? I'd be willing to bet MRAP's are a good bit more expensive than hmmwv's. Why aren't they giving away hmmwv's to police? If they don't need mraps then sell them to allied governments instead of giving them to local police departments! Or put them in storage until they are needed again. I'm sure if they're worn out then rebuilding them would be cheaper than buying new.

Or hell, sell them to civilians to turn into RV's! Either way, get some money to pay down our debt!

As far as militarizing out police force I have mixed feelings. I like to see our LEO's protected. Our Islamic population is growing and there is a history of them bombing civilian targets. Not to mention an influx of real terrorist coming across the Mexican border. I can see that becoming a problem over the next two decades. Not that I would want to see every officer driving an MRAP (just the fuel bill!) but large city swat teams do have a need for one or two to deal with barricaded subjects.

On the negative side, the second amendment is there to deal with tyranical governments. If the police are all driving MRAP's (Assuming the ones that support the constitution tell the tyranical government to take a flying leap and the cops are all bad guys) then countering them becomes more difficult from long range. This would also apply should a (pulling out tinfoil hat here) UN force (or any other non-US) find a reason to invade (don't laugh- they could enter for 'peaceful' reasons such as natural disaster, riot suppression, etc. and get carried away).

Attachments

• MRAP_STOP.jpg
      MRAP_STOP.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 85

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

They aren't giving them away. They are bought by LE agencies. A HMMWV will not carry a whole entry team but the MRAP can.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'd feel better about all of this type of equipment like MRAPS if it was confined only to Sheriff's Departments. Keep the heavy stuff under the control of a local elected official like a Sheriff.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I'd feel better about all of this type of equipment like MRAPS if it was confined only to Sheriff's Departments. Keep the heavy stuff under the control of a local elected official like a Sheriff.

Why?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Why?

In times of social upheaval I think they would be better served in the hands of Sheriffs who seem to have better grasps of the constitution. Take Colorado for example. It was the Sheriffs who opposed and refused to enforce the stupid new gun laws passed there. Sheriffs are traditionally more beholden to the voters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom