Mini-14 Accuracy.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    A lot of talk on here about the Mini-14 not being accurate but no one cites any sources or test results. What is considered accurate ? What is considered not accurate ?
    Does anyone have any definitive data ?

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    "In my opinion"If you can keep groups on a pie plate at 100 yds open sight,WITH ANY GUN ILL CALL IT ACCURATE!

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    My son has one. We have never shot paper with it. It is very much minute of beer can
    at 50-60 yards. It is very good when you point and shoot.
    Whether that meet a standard called "accurate", I don't know. But I can sure hit things with it!

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    good shootin
    My son has one. We have never shot paper with it. It is very much minute of beer can
    at 50-60 yards. It is very good when you point and shoot.
    Whether that meet a standard called "accurate", I don't know. But I can sure hit things with it!

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

I like the Mini-14, unfortunately, it has some issues. Watch that video and see if it is confidence inspiring.

The other 2 problems are A) It's too heavy and B) It doesn't use standard STANAG magazines.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I'll never own another one.

Accuracy, IMO, means the projectile travels in the general direction the barrel is pointing and impacts, repeatedly, near the point at which I was aiming while also allowing for any and all errors on my part.

None of my mini's were predictable enough to meet my definition of "accurate." If minute of angle is a standard measurement of accuracy, the term for the mini would be minute of broadside of a barn. I have no data to back that up aside from a few years & thousands of rounds of experience. EVERY rifle and carbine I own will out shoot a mini. So by that litmus standard, minis are inaccurate and hardly worth owning. They don't even have a niche. There's so many other rifles that do the same thing much much better.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My dad had one. Old model, from the '70s. Couldn't shoot a group good enough at 100yds to zero in the scope (best guess probably 5-6MOA). Between that and the clamp-on gas block constantly working loose I eventually convinced him to get rid of it. Even my cheapest, worst AK was more accurate.

Not scientific but it was first-hand experience, take it for what it's worth.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    what are the issues

I like the Mini-14, unfortunately, it has some issues. Watch that video and see if it is confidence inspiring.

The other 2 problems are A) It's too heavy and B) It doesn't use standard STANAG magazines.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.

After looking at the other YouTube videos it is apparent that all rifles have some degree of barrel flex when shooting.
    How would one determine how much flex is good or bad. Guess that is why Browning put the big rubber ball on the barrel.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    The guns have to be doing something right,because there still around "In My Opinion" if the guns were not accurate enough i dont think companies would keep producing,and take a chance on losing profits!

Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I told my father my mini was sorta accurate when we did a little trade a few years back for one of his guns , both guns are still in the family , you would think he would be over the sorta accurate description I gave . I would say a pie plate at 100 yrds scoped you would hit it and he would say a wild house cat trying to get his chickens at 60 yrd will live another day .

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    I told my father my mini was sorta accurate when we did a little trade a few years back for one of his guns , both guns are still in the family , you would think he would be over the sorta accurate description I gave . I would say a pie plate at 100 yrds scoped you would hit it and he would say a wild house cat trying to get his chickens at 60 yrd will live another day .

Out of 14 responses no one answered the question. This one by Jmann is the only one that had any scientific basis and analytical thought to it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The guns have to be doing something right,because there still around "In My Opinion" if the guns were not accurate enough i dont think companies would keep producing,and take a chance on losing profits!

Newsflash: many people buy guns for fun and hardly shoot them. Consider how many guns on the market are nowhere near reliable enough to use for personal defense. Simple fact is a lot of people buying Minis don't know or care that it's not accurate, because they have no necessity for any baseline level of accuracy. The Minis do have a certain charm about them, and they are quick and handy ranch type rifles.

And the flip side of your argument...if the Minis are so awesome, why does no one anywhere use them for any serious purpose?

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    After looking at the other YouTube videos it is apparent that all rifles have some degree of barrel flex when shooting.
    How would one determine how much flex is good or bad. Guess that is why Browning put the big rubber ball on the barrel.

Just about all rifle barrels flex.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    My Mini 14 hits a 6" metal plate at 100yds with no scope all the time. They are fun to shoot, but then again most everything is fun shoot. If I remember I'll put it on some paper next time I take it out.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    Understood!! BUT!! i also said "in my opinion" plus the post was about accuracy not personal defense anyway! and remember its just my opinion.
    Newsflash: many people buy guns for fun and hardly shoot them. Consider how many guns on the market are nowhere near reliable enough to use for personal defense. Simple fact is a lot of people buying Minis don't know or care that it's not accurate, because they have no necessity for any baseline level of accuracy. The Minis do have a certain charm about them, and they are quick and handy ranch type rifles.

And the flip side of your argument...if the Minis are so awesome, why does no one anywhere use them for any serious purpose?

Top Bottom