mini14 accuracy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ian Johnson

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    ponchatoula
    I know the older ones had big accuracy issues but have the new barrels and tighter tolerances advertised in the new rifles improved the accuracy? anyone have one of the newer ones?

thanks
    Ian

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    I have one of the older stainless rifles and you are right about their accuracy being less than perfect. Even with a competition rifle shooter on the trigger it doesn't produce great groups. Then I realized that the rifle in my hands shoots base ball size groups at 100 yards and it is reliable. So it does what it is designed to do ..it is not a target rifle.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I have 2 mini-14s and 1 mini-30 and love them all. I think the mini-14 has pretty good accuracy, it's no 20" AR15, but it's pretty accurate.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I threw a Accu-Strut on one of mine about a month ago...and here are the result's..

I'm no sharp-shooter by any mean's...Target @ 25 yd's...Best i've ever done with this mini...

Attachments

• Target Mini 14 002 (800x600).jpg
      Target Mini 14 002 (800x600).jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 64

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The new revision is notably more accurate than the old-- I was present when a fellow was testing a couple of them out side-by-side a little while ago.

However... When you heat that sucker up, as I do 95% of the time running drills with my AR, it starts to cone out like crazy. I watched the same fellow struggle to figure this out, checking his sights and basically scratching his head-- until I told him to let it cool off for about 15 minutes and try again. Whattya know-- back to where it started.

They aren't designed to be anything but "ranch rifles", and to this end, they do the job quite well-- especially the newer versions. And as the platform was never designed for super-hard or combat-style use, I don't feel that there's anything wrong with it-- provided that the end user doesn't try to cram a square peg into a round hole, of course.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was once told the Mini was disigned to be a varmit rifle, is that true? I do not remember where I read that or was told that. I have an older one. I did not know they made improvements. Interesting.

When I sold these back in the day, part of their advertising said it was a great rifle to throw in the pickup truck on the ranch to shoot running coyotes and jack rabbits. I guess that's their version of a varmint rifle.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I had a thing for minis back in the day, I went through 7 or 8 of them to find one I thought was good at 100 yards.. I could not put 5 shots in the x with 4 of them.. I found one that was stainless, made early 80's it would keep them in x but not much else.. trying different ammo, optics, everything.. they are not really worth it IMO, not when you can take a cheap ass 16 inch ar with junk ammo and do better than that..

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The AC556 (selective fire) variant was marketed to law enforcement and military to fill that nitch. I have seen some used in the movies but don't think it ever really caught on in LE or military markets.

And for good reason. ;)

I could design a tool for scratching my backside, and then market it for brushing your teeth. The tool's effectiveness at the second task wouldn't be improved no matter how witty my sales pitch, or what types of bells and whistles I stuck on the butt scratcher.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Then I realized that the rifle in my hands shoots base ball size groups at 100 yards and it is reliable. So it does what it is designed to do ..it is not a target rifle.

That's the way I see it too. To me they're like lever actions. Nothing to brag about at the range but a good reliable gun in the field.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    That's the way I see it too. To me they're like lever actions. Nothing to brag about at the range but a good reliable gun in the field.

Honestly I look at a mini more like an AK, simple, runs dirty, minute of man accuracy, and requires only a little familizaration before a complete strip down cleaning.

I have a 580 series and using the factory iron sights I can ring 8-10 inch steel gongs 28-30 times out of 30 at a hundred yards. But I have yet to install a scope that can actualy improve my accuracy. That is why i am going to keep it as a KISS rifle. No frills to break, no batteries to die just a rifle that is ready to do anything that I may need it to do.

Now i do have to admit that I have been using my M&P 15 a lot since I got it but that mini will always have a home in my safe.

Top Bottom