Minimilist Shoes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good Minimalist shoe? They have so many different ones out there it is unreal. The Reebok version looks good, but are expensive and never on sale. (Always excluded from the coupons). I don't mind a 0 drop, I am pretty sure my skate shoes have a 0 drop and I don't wear shoes unless I have to, so I am use to being barefoot,but I have never exercised barefoot. Lets not lie, I have not exercised since I broke my hand right after Gustav. Anyway, I would like some sole, some cushion, I don't want the true barefoot shoe, more of a minimalist shoe or what some call a in between shoe. Preferably something not so friggin ugly I can only wear it to the torture sessions my wife scheduled for the next 6 months. I am debating on going with skate shoes or cross trainers for the intro day, but for starting class I would like something suitable.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Nike Free Run.

Had them and they are very comfortable. They do wear out fast but they give plenty of cushion and protection until you are ready to go to the Vibram five finger shoes (awesome).

Bgaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Definitely the Nike Free. I've had mine for a year and a half and they are still very comfortable. Got mine on sale for about $70. I lift weights in them every day and run every now and then. Probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    These are my Reebok realflex running shoes. I have never had a better running shoe. I do want to get a pair of Nike free too, though. I don't think these are true minimalist shoes, more of an inbetween IMO.

reebok-realflex-men-1-e1303374745221.jpg

If you normally buy your shoes with a little extra room like I do, you'll want to buy your minimalist shoes a half size smaller than you are used to because of how much they stretch and flex.

Last edited:

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    New Balance minimus ( MT 20& MX 20), any of the INOV 8 F-Lite line( poke around online you can find sales on them, running warehouse is one place), as you said the reebok nano, Merrell also make minimalist shoes and are supposed to be fantastic. I have a pair of reebok your flex but I honestly don't know if they make them any more, I got them at the tanger reebok store, but they are staring to hurt my feet so I will be replacing them.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I have a pair of Adidas trial tr3 I think and they are pretty comfortable and last awhile I usually go threw shoes quick because I am rough on them. They sell them at academy for 49ish.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ya'll just confirmed my problem, way too many shoes! I thought I found what I wanted,NB the MT100 or MT101 but they stopped making them. Why can't they just make some NB classics with 4mm or less drop. Oh well going to figure out what I am less likely to hurt myself in tomorrow, skate shoes or regular shoes. Pretty sure the skate shoes have 0 drop, but lots of side padding and stiff, but have a good Feel.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Ya'll just confirmed my problem, way too many shoes! I thought I found what I wanted,NB the MT100 or MT101 but they stopped making them. Why can't they just make some NB classics with 4mm or less drop. Oh well going to figure out what I am less likely to hurt myself in tomorrow, skate shoes or regular shoes. Pretty sure the skate shoes have 0 drop, but lots of side padding and stiff, but have a good Feel.
    inov8s are great.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Are you looking for something with zero drop, or enough cushion that if you get tired but want to keep running you can handle heel-strikes? Do you want something you wear with or without socks? Do you want something that has enough tread to take cross-country/trail running if you like?

Big things are:

Toe box, make sure its got ample room for the ball of your foot to spread out when you land but is still tight on your midfoot and heel
    If you decide to run without socks, check out the inside of the shoes for seams and materials used...blisters are a pain in the ass

Like daxt79, my favrorites so far are the Merrell trail gloves. They are extremely comfortable barefooted, have a huge toe box but fit great, they have enough thread for trail running if you want a change of scenery, and based on Merrell's history in durable shoes I'm expecting the construction to outlast the soles on them.

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    I use the New Balance Minimus as well... Similar to NOLASHOOTER, but I use the MO10BKs; great multi-sport shoe for road or light trail.
    I have done a good but if research on the thought of an "in-between" between minimalist and more structured shoe for mostly road running. For what I've seen, SPANKY is correct with the inov-8s; go with the road x-233s... If you want to stay with New Balance, go with the Minimus Zero Road... I haven't bought either yet but I'm working really hard to decide which ones I want.

Angus007

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    hmm I think Brooks PureFlow is the best one. They are available on all big stores. I like this brand because of its shoes performance and flexibility. I hope it will be a good experience for you too. You should check them once on any sports shoes store.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    +eleventy. I have been wearing a pair of trail gloves for a couple months and refuse to wear my boots, etc unless I have to. I'm as flat footed as a duck so most shoes bother me when walking or standing for an extended period. The Merrell Trail gloves don't bother me at all and are by far the most comfortable thing I've ever worn on my feet.

I got some Merrell Trail Gloves a few months ago too. They are great shoes.

Top Bottom