Minimum Caliber For Self Defense While Hiking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I was recently asked, "What is the smallest caliber handgun you would trust to protect yourself ?"

I answered with the following:

"My personal favorite self-defense gun has always been a Beretta Model 950 Jetfire chambered in .22 short. Over all the years I've been hiking, I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know that, in addition to always carrying a gun, people hiking in the wilderness should also use the "Buddy System".

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the Buddy System, it means you never hike alone. You bring a trusted friend, companion or family member. That way if something happens, there is someone who can go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Colorado. Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear, and she was obviously mad. We must have been near one of her cubs.

Anyway, if I had not had my little .22 Jetfire I'd surely not be here today. Just one shot to my brother-in-law's kneecap, and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace."

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    :D

Always said you don't need to be the fastest, just faster than the slowest one. This might work better! I'll keep it in mind when I am hiking in Tenn. next week, haha

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That same idea works if you're being chased by a hoard of zombies as well. Saw it in "The Walking Dead" on TNT.

:)

Dave

Top Bottom