Misleading Fox News story and AP story on NY shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I was watching the noon news when I heard a report that ticked me off so I sent an email to Fox 8 and the AP. the following is what I sent. I encourage all of you to take action when you hear these misleading stories.

To:info@ap.org
    Mary Esch contributed to the story about the shooting of the fire fighters in New York and is inaccurate and misleading. She quoted Pickering who was wrong. *"The rifle he had was a military-style .223-caliber semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle with flash suppression, the same make and caliber weapon used in the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., Pickering said."
    The rifle was not used to kill the kids, the rifle was found in the trunk of the car after the shooting. What pisses me off is the misleading story contributes to the anti-gun propaganda and you the media continue to espouse these untrue stories to draw dramatic attention *to the stories. Maybe they need to go after the 1st Amendment to get your attention and you media types realize that once they take away our 2nd Amendment, it'll be much easier to go after the 1st. Also what is the point in adding "flash suppression" to the story. More thought needs to go into the writing of news stories to present the news and not ram your liberal bias to the story. This story was aired on my local Fox station and I'm sure many other affiliates adding to the hysteria and hype. Shame on y'all, we should expect better from the AP.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    When the news stories were first coming out about the Connecticut shooting, they did state that the gun was in the car, but they corrected it later stating that the Bushmaster was actually the gun used in the shootings.

Got to love the media, half of what they tell you is correct about half of the time. Mediocrity at it's finest.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Ummm...didn't the coroner's report state that the rifle was the primary weapon used at Sandy Hook?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Ummm...didn't the coroner's report state that the rifle was the primary weapon used at Sandy Hook?

Not sure, I do believe it to be correct. Though, the first news stories were saying that the gun was in the trunk of the car.....

Turns out he had other guns in the trunk of the car.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Kinda strange though that they both were using the same brand of AR given how many different makers there are....Or maybe the media thinks that Bushmaster is the only company who makes them now since the brand association with Sandy Hook?

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This reminds me of the "Black Talon" bullets from years back. It seems as if the media is going out of its way to place responsibility on Bushmaster Inc.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The rifle was the primary weapon used in the shooting as per the medical examiner.

The only reports I saw saying that the Bushmaster was in the trunk were all posted before the facts were over and before the brass was even cool, it seems. All a bunch of ******** jumping to conclusions based on too-little info and conjecture. The longarm they pulled out of the truck was the shotgun, and video/pics even showed the cops clearing it and ejecting a red shell.

So their article wasn't misleading - your email was. :) Fact-checking irony, oh snap!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The rifle was the primary weapon used in the shooting as per the medical examiner.

The only reports I saw saying that the Bushmaster was in the trunk were all posted before the facts were over and before the brass was even cool, it seems. All a bunch of ******** jumping to conclusions based on too-little info and conjecture. The longarm they pulled out of the truck was the shotgun, and video/pics even showed the cops clearing it and ejecting a red shell.

So their article wasn't misleading - your email was. :) Fact-checking irony, oh snap!

+1, charging handle on the right, red hull, plainly visible mag-tube under barrel.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central

Might want to recheck your facts. According to this report from today there were 4 pistols used and recovered from inside the school

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    iirc

Early reports claimed that it was a "Bushwacker." Haven't been able to find one, but if they're that effective, ........I want one.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Might want to recheck your facts. According to this report from today there were 4 pistols used and recovered from inside the school

I know the pistols were found, but the medical examiner said that the wounds were primarily the result of .223 rifle fire. Unless something changed in the past couple days, I still figured that was reason enough to call the AR his primary weapon.

Nick1230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Cecilia,La
    Y'all are all nuts if you believe for one second anything the media says is true. It's funny how the local reports that came out right after the shooting changed drastically after the national media took over. First things you heard were coming straight from the horses mouth then the media came in and changed everything into what they wanted it to be. Do you think a certain amount of money to the coroner maybe could have changed the caliber of the rounds used???? Duh

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Y'all are all nuts if you believe for one second anything the media says is true. It's funny how the local reports that came out right after the shooting changed drastically after the national media took over. First things you heard were coming straight from the horses mouth then the media came in and changed everything into what they wanted it to be. Do you think a certain amount of money to the coroner maybe could have changed the caliber of the rounds used???? Duh

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk
    I don't think it's very funny how the story changed so often so quickly... the media /always/ talks before they know what's going on. They have to say /something/ so they make **** up or go off baseless rumors until the story comes in... it keeps viewers tuning in. It's not unusual, it's the norm. Then you can go off of the police report, medical examiner, and other unbiased sources.

If you think the media has the real truth within an hour of it happening, you're crazy; but then again, the bribery assertions kind of made my mind up on that.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    NEVER believe reporters following a mass shooting.

Always wait for LEOs and medical personnel's press conferences and press releases.

So man things wrong with that "report".

Medical examiner: Rifle primary weapon used in shootings
    http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc/50210025#50210025

The Lanzas NEVER had any connection to the school. Adam never had a argument will school officials, and his mom never taught at the school.

State Police Say Newtown Gunman Had No Connection to Sandy Hook School
    http://www.housatonictimes.com/articles/2012/12/24/news/doc50cfcd1e0e18e022130950.txt

:)

""

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I was watching the noon news when I heard a report that ticked me off so I sent an email to Fox 8 and the AP. the following is what I sent.

Uh, please don't take this the wrong way, but I hope they don't find out your screeen name. I can see how you might suffer some loss of credibility.

Top Bottom