Mississippi...the inside scoop.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    So,in my quest to leave New Orleans and sought residence elsewhere,I've considered Georgia and Vermont and even Canada,since that's where my wife is from...the latter would be far fetched,though. Lately,we've been contemplating Mississippi...the coast in general,ie.... Biloxi,Gulfport,Waveland you know,that sort of thing. I know it's going to be alot cheaper to live there as opposed to NOLA but I want to know the pros and cons. Let's hear what ya'll have to say.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    If you're looking to get away from certain... elements... northern MS is the place to check out.

You'll have to get a haircut, though. ;)

You're behind the times LSP. He's a productive, clean-cut member of society now. :mamoru:

Like we spoke about on the phone... Schools. You got kids and the public school system in MS is not all that hot. Of course, neither is New Orleans. Why dont you just split the difference and move out to Slidell. Great schools! We could be neighbors! LOL

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If you're looking to get away from certain... elements... northern MS is the place to check out.

You'll have to get a haircut, though. ;)

Did the almost jarhead thing in early December...you won't even recognize me now,even my 3 year old son did a double take when I first go it cut.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I grew up in Mississippi. Desoto county is near Memphis and is actually a decent place. Since you are a musician, you might really want to check out Hattiesburg as it's a pretty cool college town. The gulf coast is fine too.

There are tons of places if you are looking for a small town.

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    IMO, I would look into a private school...as things are fixing to get much worse with the public school system.

....and get ready to be pissed when you goto get your car tags.

alot of the information you're seeking may be specific to the general area you're considering....crime rates, taxes, utilities, recreation, etc....

link below should help
    http://www.mississippi.gov/ms_sub_template.jsp?Category_ID=5

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Biloxi/gulfport? blech...
    norfolk and waypal...
    I used to cover for a tech when he was on vacation there, and sometimes had to stay there for a week or two.
    There is NOTHING to do there, and only so much beach combing, and gambling you can do...
    You think theft is bad in NO? wait til you get to southern MS....
    On another occasion, in Picayune, MS, I had to take a friend to the hospital, for what turned out to be an overnight stay.
    Next day, we went to leave, and found the back end of his truck (with a locked camper top) had been cleaned out of all of his tools...
    You couldn't pay me enough to live in MS...

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Here in Slidell we're seeing a lot of folks from the coastal and mid-to-North MS areas coming here for pseudoephedrine products. Not saying all the people in those areas are methheads, just that they seem to have active problems with it in those areas.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    My grandson worked at Gulfport all summer . He had all sort of trouble with junkheads ,one even put a gun to his head for looking at his women. He transfered to Hattisburg and enjoys being up there. Good luck in your future . BTW didn't I read somewhere you are a cop from the Gretna police ? Maybe I have you confused with someone else .

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    My grandson worked at Gulfport all summer . He had all sort of trouble with junkheads ,one even put a gun to his head for looking at his women. He transfered to Hattisburg and enjoys being up there. Good luck in your future . BTW didn't I read somewhere you are a cop from the Gretna police ? Maybe I have you confused with someone else .

Applying with Gretna PD. If everything goes well with it,I'm staying but not in Orleans Parish...never again!!

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Mobile, Alabama. Nice little bay. Large freshwater river feeding the bay. Hill country living to the NW just off I-10. Close to some great beaches in Florida. Yard work in the suburbs. Best BBQ you'll ever eat.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Just a thought but all of the places so far suggested would be a hell of a commute to Gretna. :) Especially Canada.

Since you're soliciting opinions, I'm with Cat. Texas is THE place to move to if you want to have a somewhat functioning government, progress with public projects, and a take no BS attitude about the criminal element. Plus THE most gun friendly environment I've ever encountered in any part of the US. ANY part of Texas, minus the larger cities would be included in these statements and after you get your foot in the door as LEO, I'll bet you'll have no problems being hired in that state at any level from rural Sheriff's offices to mid level town PD's or even state level jobs should you feel the need to go that path (will say though that many state level positions are "family based", just like here).

After my last larvae exits LSU I'll be heading there so fast your head will spin. I agree with you 100% about NO, and even it's surrounding areas post Katrina have begun to slink back toward the goofiness of government pre storm.

Don't know if this helps but you did ask.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I for one would not want to pay for the home insurance living on the coast. But it might be worth it to you. And, I've never lived in NOLA so it might be more or less expensive there.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Mobile, Alabama. Nice little bay. Large freshwater river feeding the bay. Hill country living to the NW just off I-10. Close to some great beaches in Florida. Yard work in the suburbs. Best BBQ you'll ever eat.

I lived six years in West Mobile and graduated from the University of South Alabama. Mobile was a nice town in the early 1990's. The Springhill and West/South areas of the county are the better areas. North Mobile is rough like North Baton Rouge. It is also one hour from Gulf Shores. Fowl River South of Mobile on the way to Dauphin Island is an awsome place to water ski.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom