model 29 44mag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    i have a nickel plate model 29 44mag that i have the urge to do something useful with. i've been kicking around the idea of hunting this season with it. i'm not a huge fan of the nickel finish so getting a new finish will be the first thing i do. after that i want to explore scope options.

whats the best finish to go with? i was thinking birdsong? also what steps need to be taken to fit it with a decent optic for hunting?

i assume turn around on a birdsong finish will put and end to the idea of hunting with it this year, also i know mr birdsong passed away earlier this year so is the finish still available?

Last edited:

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    its like a 29 dash something. i cant remember. i'll check it out in the morning. i still have the wood box it came with. I dont think its worth a whole lot. i guess its worth looking into.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    just checked. its a 29-2 6.5in. no lock.

looks just like this, minus all the paper work.
    pix21495578.jpg

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    its like a 29 dash something. i cant remember. i'll check it out in the morning. i still have the wood box it came with. I dont think its worth a whole lot. i guess its worth looking into.

I guess it depends on what you call a whole lot... Looks like ~$800 is the ballpark of what's been selling on GB.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    yeah i mean even if i could find someone to pay that much for it, i still wouldnt have enough to build/buy a nice hunter. i might as well spend a few hundred on the one i got. pangris knows his smiths though, so i'll give it some more thought.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    yeah i mean even if i could find someone to pay that much for it, i still wouldn't have enough to build/buy a nice hunter. i might as well spend a few hundred on the one i got. pangris knows his smiths though, so i'll give it some more thought.

Sure seems like you ought to be able to get into a used S&W 460 for about that then spend the money saved on the refinish on optics. just sayin'.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have to agree - for the love of god, don't ruin an original nickel finish. It is by far my favorite and like they said, they don't make them like that anymore (unless you count the "classics")

I would buy it from you if I had money, but I am an impoverished law student and I already have a .44.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    Well I guess that settles it, back to the deep dark corner of the safe she goes. I have the matching .357 that goes with it, maybe I'll put them in a nice display

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I love my super blackhawk .44, and you can get those for under 600 usually. If you sold the smith you could get the blackhawk and the scope for much less than the cost of refinishing the smith and getting a scope for it.

The single-action platform is inherently stronger than the double action, anyway, as far as I know.

Top Bottom