Mold Remediation Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninja

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    New Orleans
    Does anyone have any experience with getting your house tested for mold and having mold removed in your primary residence? I am looking for a company or companies to test and/or remove mold. If anyone has some recommendations of Mold removal companies that they have used or know someone that have used them in the Greater New Orleans Area that would be awesome as well. Also, how much does this stuff generally cost? I've called one company so far and they say it can be anywhere from $5000-$10,000 if it is really bad. Thanks all.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    1. Fix the leak if there is one.
    2. Saturate with a 10% bleach solution.
    3. Bleach kills all mold.

If you are insured for mold, let the pros handle it, otherwise, get a spray bottle and giddyup.

JayKay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I went through mold remediation following Katrina. I had to fire the first company and ended up going with a two company approach. One company had an engineer certified in mold remediation to defined what needed to be done, then they performed the air quality testing after all work was completed. The other company performed all of the labor required in the remediation protocol. This worked out great in the end and I'm glad that I did it.

From what I recall, bleach will kill the mold, but it will not remove the dead mold spores. The remediation process removes the contaminated materials. Dead mold can cause respiratory issues for people who are sensitive. Since my wife has asthma and I've had allergies, it was a no-brainer.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but something else to consider is the resale of your home. You'll have the issue of the property disclosure and the fact that some buyers want to see air quality testing on houses in Katrina affected areas.

I can't recall the names of the companies I used or cost since it's been a while, but PM if you'd like more info and I'll be glad to look it up.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    you need professional to test , there are hundreds of MOLD variations..
    I have a close friend, who does this work and other stuff like it.. the professionals who determine the kind, and the procedure is called an Industrial Hygienist and they are worth it.. they also do safety..

Environmental measures Corp. tell them Dave Sent ya ...

Phone:
    (225) 767-7820

See if he will take a residential client, or recommend someone.. for you

Ninja

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    New Orleans
    you need professional to test , there are hundreds of MOLD variations..
    I have a close friend, who does this work and other stuff like it.. the professionals who determine the kind, and the procedure is called an Industrial Hygienist and they are worth it.. they also do safety..

Environmental measures Corp. tell them Dave Sent ya ...

Phone:
    (225) 767-7820

See if he will take a residential client, or recommend someone.. for you

Thanks I'll give him a call today.

If I wasn't currently living in the house and I could tear down the walls without messing up my furniture I would probably be suiting up in that white jump suit with mask and everything and go to town. Hopefully not all that stuff needs to be done.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    We get a hundred mold calls ...( well, when I was working we did ) 99 were just mildew. Fresh air and a little bleach makes all the difference.

In the school system mildew is rampant, but best I remember we never found a case of harmful mold.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    all mold can be harmful if your allergic to it, but in reality there are only 3 **black molds ** in Louisiana and one Stacci! is the only one that can really survive for very long..

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    all mold can be harmful if your allergic to it, but in reality there are only 3 **black molds ** in Louisiana and one Stacci! is the only one that can really survive for very long..

True, we had teachers close class rooms for a 5K $ overhaul by Steamatic and all new books b/c they were said to be allergic to the mildew we found.

In reality, I have had my head in thousands of air distribution systems...anything in South La over a year old has mildew...some not much some a ton.

With new standards and mandatory fresh air induction being enforced it will drop no doubt. Just saying that the same people who see mold and flip will breath the same air with mildew in a different part of the building and have no problem.

I think mold/ mildew allergies is very sight related .

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MrPantz
    Top Bottom