more cross controversy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Why not let each trooper's family decide what type of monument is used? The article states that they already have permission from the troopers' families. That would insulate the state from any accusations of giving Christians preferential treatment.

Besides, if a LEO can't even ask a Hispanic-looking person if they are in the country illegally, I know they're not going to be able to inquire about anyone's religious preference. How are they going to determine Christianity just by looking at a person so that they can be treated better? What a ridiculous basis for trying to get the crosses taken down.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    "The 14 crosses erected along Utah roads to commemorate fallen state Highway Patrol troopers convey a state preference for Christianity..."

Um, yeah. Have you been to Utah?

"In 2006, the Utah Legislature passed a joint resolution declaring the cross a nonreligious secular symbol of death."

Anyone think that's offensive? How are you going to take the main symbol of a religion and just declare it non-religious because it suits you?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    "In 2006, the Utah Legislature passed a joint resolution declaring the cross a nonreligious secular symbol of death."

Anyone think that's offensive? How are you going to take the main symbol of a religion and just declare it non-religious because it suits you?

I do, but I understand why they did and to some, the end justifies the means. If they say it's "a nonreligious secular symbol of death" then they remove the impetus for what's going on now.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I never understood this freedom from exposure to religion bs. Our constitution guarantees that the government won't force you to follow a certain religion and that you can choose any religion you want, including none. It never says you won't be exposed to religion when you are in public. These guys give atheists a bad name, there are plenty of atheists that don't give a flip what you do, but respect your right to worship as much as their right not to.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I think some of these jacka$$es need to be buried in unmarked graves. Soon. Imagine if they could find something useful to do in life rather than beleaguer the courts with such petty complaints.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    who cares if the State of Utah prefers Christianity. I wish they did. I wish the Federal government did. Neither the State nor Federal Constitution says the government can't prefer or recognize any particular religion....it says it can't ESTABLISH a State or National religion where everybody has to go to their church and pay taxes to it.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Interesting, in a way a cross can symbolize more than just being a christian like marking graves of the dead. They have probably put crosses on alot of graves of non-christians. But they could have avoided the situation by having families buy the crosses and then it would have nothing to do with the feds? I think it is a pretty messed up symbol anyway, just an execution device, I guess if they beheaded him christians would walk around with axes.

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    My understanding is that the funding for the crosses comes from a private organization. Their problem is that there are 12 ft crosses on public property.

Just another yo-yo out there trying to make a name for himself and get his face on Nat'l TV IMO

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    My understanding is that the funding for the crosses comes from a private organization. Their problem is that there are 12 ft crosses on public property.

Just another yo-yo out there trying to make a name for himself and get his face on Nat'l TV IMO

If it is acceptable at Arlington National Cemetery then it should be acceptable in Utah.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I never understood this freedom from exposure to religion bs. Our constitution guarantees that the government won't force you to follow a certain religion and that you can choose any religion you want, including none. It never says you won't be exposed to religion when you are in public. These guys give atheists a bad name, there are plenty of atheists that don't give a flip what you do, but respect your right to worship as much as their right not to.

Not yet....however Christianity is under heavy attack and the pace is only speeding up BUT just like the rest of the TRUTH news, the MSM isn't reporting on that b/c Christians are wacko's who believe in things they cannot see supposedly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom