More Noveske Problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I don't have a clue at this point. I'll see if Noveske will look at it, but in the mean time, anyone else have any ideas?

zxr21x.jpg

x2pgsj.jpg

-I only shoot the rifle suppressed, using a Surefire 556-212
    -Factory built Noveske lower (FFL Gen 2)
    -Factory built Noveske upper (VLTOR MUR/VIS Monolithic, 10.5" barrel)
    -Happens with PMC XTAC M193
    -Ejection is to the 1-2 O'clock and very brisk
    -Sometimes happens when reloading and using the bolt-release.
    -Happens using another lower which has never had issues on another upper
    -H2 buffer, mil-spec spring (5-800 rounds old)
    -Sometimes there are "near misses", when using the bolt release on a reload, I can feel it "release...hit...pause...chamber".
    -It has done this with newish PMAG's which have been proven in other guns
    -It has done this with Lancer L5 AWM which have been proven in other guns
    -It was generously lubed with Froglube the first time I had the issues, and with FIREClean the second. Correct procedures.
    -I does it free-standing as well as when resting the mag on the bench.
    -I tried it with an H3 and Sprinco Blue spring. Ejection is still to the 2-230, but it appears that this combo overpowers the method of failure.
    -Always locks back on empty

Here is a round that "chambered sluggishly", giving me the 1-2 impulse as it went home. This was using the bolt-release, it was the first round on a fully-loaded PMAG. Multiple attempts to repeat the situation did not show that it was consistently repeatable in nature. I am stumped. I put the H2 buffer and newish mil-spec spring back in for this. It should not do this regardless of the buffer or spring.

292pd8x.jpg

My last Noveske did this, too, just not as bad. Only using the bolt release, not live-fire. This one does it both.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Does this only happen with a fresh fully loaded mag? If yes, how many rounds in your mag?

No, I have not noticed a pattern regarding that during live fire. I think it was around mid-mag that the first jam occurred which I pictured in this thread. However, I only use the bolt-release on a fresh mag with 30 rounds in it, so that's my only datapoint for the bolt-release causing the issue.

One time, the round actually made it into the chamber, but the BCG had lost so much velocity getting it there that it did not seat over the case and I had a dead trigger. That really blew my mind at the time and I thought it was bolt bounce or something because I was only running an H buffer on a suppressed 10.5". I put the H2 in, and MORE malfunctions, much more grotesque, like the one pictured, occurred.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Does the rifle chamber other brands/types of ammo without problems? What happens with the same mags and different bullet weights?
    Also, what is the chamber, .223 or 5.56 nato? I am not familiar with Noveske firearms.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Does the rifle chamber other brands/types of ammo without problems? What happens with the same mags and different bullet weights?
    Also, what is the chamber, .223 or 5.56 nato? I am not familiar with Noveske firearms.

Does it with different mags, have only tried 55gr PMC XTAC.
    I have not really tried other bullet weights or brands.
    The rounds don't chamber, so I don't think it has any bearing, but they allege it is a 5.56 chamber.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I have the same gun with a switch block barrel and a AAC Ranger 2 can. Same ammo/mags. I've had no problems, however, a fellow had the same exact problem with a different brand AR (can't remember which) at the IPSO range several weeks ago. We tried several solutions (already covered above) to no avail. He was going to change buffers/springs and try again but I've been out for awhile so don't know if he's been back - will check with rangemaster Friday or Monday and see if he knows if the guy came back and if a solution was found.
    Aggravating, ain't it?

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i've had a similar issue w/ a Daniel Defense rifle. sent it to DD, they tested it and said it was fine. came back to me, still had the issue. really odd thing is, it would work find w/ Federal Bulk pack 223 (the kind you see in boxes at walmart) but with Federal XM193, it would jam.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It's not a common AR Problem. Last year during the Viking Tactics StreetFighter Course we had 18 shooters firing close to 1k rounds a day, over 4 days, in mud, and in an around automobiles. We had no memorable failures. No why? All of the shooters were using solid, factory built, mil-spec guns. The platform works. Well. When you start tweaking it around(switch block, wylde chambers, etc) your rolling the dice.

Prices are as low as I can remember. Colt 6920s are less than 1k!! Get Noveske to fix your gun then stop buying boutique rifles.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Christmas for dad...dd, or 6920? I lean to the colt because he is a colt guy. Thoughts? I figure they are both solid, but he only heard of dd from me. He always has valued colt as a brand.

Multiple people in this thread have had the issue I do, and one with a dd rifle. I just want to know the root cause. What is dicked up, specifically.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Both will suffice, I've got experience with Colts, Nate with both platforms. I hear DD is a higher quality but I've trusted my life to Colt as well. Both will retain value too.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I don't know that any one is measurably better between DD and Colt, but for some reason I tend toward DD. I think it's mainly because that was my first AR15 upper, and because I still have Daniel Defense parts, and like their accessories, like the A1.5 sights, and what not. Probably "brand inertia" if that is a thing. I like DD's MFR fore end a whole lot, so there's some uniformity, whereas with Colt, I'd have mismatched parts in the end, if I wanted to add it. Your dad might not care about that stuff, I don't know.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Between the two, I'm going to go with DD as well. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it has something to do with wanting to support the little guy. Obviously I know they aren't really a small company anymore, but they're certainly younger than Colt.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Christmas for dad...dd, or 6920? I lean to the colt because he is a colt guy. Thoughts? I figure they are both solid, but he only heard of dd from me. He always has valued colt as a brand.

Multiple people in this thread have had the issue I do, and one with a dd rifle. I just want to know the root cause. What is dicked up, specifically.

Depends on what you want, they really don't sell comparable setups. If he would like a basic carbine, Colt 6920 is the one. If you want something with a rail/tube, DD is the way to go.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Multiple people with an unlimited number of unknown variables. I have a cough, people with TB cough, oh noes I have TB!!!!!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Multiple people with an unlimited number of unknown variables. I have a cough, people with TB cough, oh noes I have TB!!!!!

I'm just looking for the mode of failure. I will specifically request that Noveske inform me of it, but I don't think they are obligated to, and doubt they go to any trouble to do so. I'd like to know what went wrong, so to speak.

Top Bottom