Mosin Fans...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    They have been there for a while now. Most are not in good condition at all. Not a great price either, but better than the one I saw at Jefferson gun for $300. That place is a joke.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Hopefully they start getting back to the $100-$130 range soon.

I honestly don't see that happening. As is being discussed in the new executive order thread, milsurps are being restricted from import. Not 100% clear if it means US manufactured firearms or ALL milsurps. I think it's the former, but I'm not 100%. If he stopped all imports of milsurps rifles regardless of manufacture.... Well, I wish I would have kept that whole crate we did the group buy on. Lol

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    I honestly don't see that happening. As is being discussed in the new executive order thread, milsurps are being restricted from import. Not 100% clear if it means US manufactured firearms or ALL milsurps. I think it's the former, but I'm not 100%. If he stopped all imports of milsurps rifles regardless of manufacture.... Well, I wish I would have kept that whole crate we did the group buy on. Lol

I'd wager all military guns will be barred from coming into the country, regardless of their origin. Better get while the gettin's good. A $199.00 price today may bring fond memories in the not so distant future. I've always felt you can't go wrong buying solid, reliable firearms when they're offered at the price of everyday air rifles. Glad I got mine when I did. Got in on Sugarbug's group buy. :)

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Got one from cabelas the 1st time they went on sale fr $89. Shot it just enough to determine it shoots straight.

Bought about 200 rounds of non-corrosive ammo.

Using a non fmj round I would deer hunt with it without a second thought.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    That's about the best price you can hope for at this time. During that group buy, the take-home price was 136 when we bought a crate of 20. Opening the crate and 20 of those rifles packed in there was pretty awesome, though. Still have my Tula from that crate.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I just saw the Mosin in the sales flyer cabela's sent to the house. Don't know much about them but a quick Google search came back with a killer rifle that usually needs lots of cleaning and restoration. Knowing nothing about these rifles and not having time to do some restoration, is it worth it to get one? If I was to get one now it would most probably sit in the safe until I got time to work with it. Would you guys get one if you were in my situation?
    I've also read that having matching numbers on the components is a good thing. Where are all the numbers located?

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    You have to take the rifle apart to check all numbers. But if the bolt number matches the receiver you are likely in good shape.

It also doesn't matter if you thing that will boost the value. We are talking about a rifle made for a long time with over 10 million made. And most will be identical if not better than what Cabelas has on the rack. The fins made some nice ones and they weren't always numbers matching.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I guess I'm not concerned so much with the value but it would be nice to have some matching numbers on it. I'm not looking for an investment piece. It just would be kind of cool if some numbers matched. My kid likes the old school stuff so it would be nice to have one to hand down to him eventually. For less than $150, I just might have to get two. One for me to play with when I get time to restore/clean it and the other for him to work with himself. Looks like I may be heading to Cabela's this weekend.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    On my lunch break today I checked out one of my local shops that had about 10 Mosin 91/30's. They had one 39' Tula round receiver. I wasn't really sure what to look for but the salesman checked the bore of all of them with a round saying that the higher it sits the better the bore. The Tula was one of the best. It was not counterbored, the rifling looked good, the bolt felt smooth to me although I havent shot many bolt action guns, and the grommets for the sling were there. It comes with all the accessories and they want $180 for it. I am also looking to get one to put in another stock and one to be a queen. I really haven't seen enough to know which one will be which.

What do you guys think? It will come out to almost the same price after shipping and FFL if I order one online. With the info I've stated, would this one be a shooter for the other stock or one to pretty up? If you need other info, let me know and I'll try to provide it.

navysooner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Metairie
    On my lunch break today I checked out one of my local shops that had about 10 Mosin 91/30's. They had one 39' Tula round receiver. I wasn't really sure what to look for but the salesman checked the bore of all of them with a round saying that the higher it sits the better the bore. The Tula was one of the best. It was not counterbored, the rifling looked good, the bolt felt smooth to me although I havent shot many bolt action guns, and the grommets for the sling were there. It comes with all the accessories and they want $180 for it. I am also looking to get one to put in another stock and one to be a queen. I really haven't seen enough to know which one will be which.

What do you guys think? It will come out to almost the same price after shipping and FFL if I order one online. With the info I've stated, would this one be a shooter for the other stock or one to pretty up? If you need other info, let me know and I'll try to provide it.

You really don't want a counter bored mosin. They are less accurate. I have 5 mosins. 3 are shooters. 2 are wall pieces. One of the wall pieces is a 39 Tula. I got it for $75 at the gun show. So cheap because the person selling it to me knew it was counter bored (you can tell by looking at the end of the barrel) I took it shooting to check it out anyways. I was getting foot wide spreads. I only have two scoped mosins one being a PU sniper version the being a rear sight mounted scout scope. I am only saying this because I can shoot a mosin with iron sights at 100 yards and get 3 inch spreads. I thought it was a flike maybe an of day but I got 5 3 shotspreads and the best was one foot on counter bored. The reason the russians counter bored certain guns was one of two reasons. First the person that had the gun in the war never cleaned the corrosive crap out of there. 2. The person that had the gun was killed and the gun wasn't retrieved till much later when even if there wasn't a shot put through it water got down the barrel and corroded the hell out of it.

The one problem with the mosins at cabelas right now is they don't come with the tool kit and bayonet. The bayonet is not such a big deal. The thing is you want that tool kit because it comes with a multi tool kind of thing. When you take you're bolt apart to clean it and put it back together there are notches in the tool that measure the firing pin. There are two quick measuremtns you have to do to make sure it is the correct length. One to make sure it isn't sticking out to far and one to make sure it is sticking out far enough. You need this tool to do such measurements.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom