Mosin nagant cosmoline

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Heat, if you have a good blowdrier, you can try that, you can also see if it fits in your oven when set to broil, just put it in after you turn the oven on as the flare from starting can burn the stock, there are so many options.. if you have a heat gun that the best way, you heat then wipe off the cosmoline and repeat till its done...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I took mine down to bare wood with some acetone. If you're wanting to take off just the cosmoline, then heat gun is the way to go. My wife's blow dryer was not at all good enough.

saggitarius449

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Olla, LA
    Don't know if its good for it or not but I used brake cleaner. Spray it on and it came right off. Then I oiled everything with gun oil real good. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    As far as the metal parts, on all of mine I just put them in purple power degreaser. Irritates the skin so I'd recommend gloves. For the stock, a little hand held steamer gets it out easy, just steam and wipe it off. (Works best outside in the summer though)

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    A ceramic heater pointed towards the gun in the corner worked well. Set it to high and just wipe the stock every so often as the cosmoline soaks out. This is how I did my MN and just let it go while I sat here and watched TV

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    I bought two from the group buy.
    On the first one I sanded the heck out of it with my BD mouse and soaked in HOT water.
    Second I used a stripper from Pep Boy's, can't remember her name though. HAHA! Sprayed on and let sit for 15 minutes. I did that 3 times and worked great. Just make sure you let the stock sit in the sun for a good while, today is a lil cold but the sun is out.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    Diesel, it melts cosmoline away without harming the metal. It is oil based and used by the military to remove cosmoline.

goose225pa

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    port allen la
    I have mineral spirits, ima try diesel I guess.. Or just scrub more with mineral spirits. Doesn't look like its gonna be hot outside anytime soon andwife would be pissed if I stuck it in the oven...

Top Bottom