Mosin Nagant Rear Sight Removal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I have a 1936 MN 91/30 that i love to shoot, but I want to mount a scope on it. I have the special rail that doesn't interfere with the bolt and a scope. However, i'm new to collecting and shooting rifles. I have tried to remove the rear sight but cant get the pins to budge. I have read different sugegstions online, but haven't had luck. I have two questions.

1. Is there somewhere in town (Baton Rouge) or online where I can buy a set of punches etc for working on this rifle and others I have?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the sight? I don't want to screw this rifle up as its in really good condition.

thanks!

Jguid54

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Harbor freight has punches their cheap but if you're only going to use them a couple times they'll do the job...I've seen some people heat them up with a torch then drift em out. YouTube search: mosin nagant sporterise and a guy names iraqvet has like 13 videos on working on a 91/30 he shows you how to remove the rear sight. Good luck

5.45 Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Evansville, IN.
    You should start with the shortest punch you can get by with.
    You just to get it to start moving; I used a small nail set punch.
    Then I used a longer brass punch I found at Harbor Freight
    If this is the scope mount you are going to use BE WARNED I could not get the screws to hold. After only a few shots the screws got loose and the scope started to wobble. The recoil of the gun is to much for the threads, they stripped out.
    aav60.jpg

This is what I did to solve the problem; I drilled out the screw holes to the diameter of the orignal pin & used the pin with Lock-tight on it to hold the mount solid.
    6p9c15.jpg

Good Luck! Since you are mounting it on a 91/30 maybe your recoil won't be as bad as what I had.

misterbeefy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    aav60.jpg

This is what I did to solve the problem; I drilled out the screw holes to the diameter of the orignal pin & used the pin with Lock-tight on it to hold the mount solid.
    6p9c15.jpg

Good Luck! Since you are mounting it on a 91/30 maybe your recoil won't be as bad as what I had.

What scope do you have on there? I've tried a couple of different ones for mine, found one with a good eye relief, but the parallax is all jacked up.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The scope mount that everyone uses and swears by is the B-Square mount. Its proponents say the screws do not loosen with shooting. Removing the rear sight is not necessary - just the sight leaf.

If you MUST remove the rear mount, it is pinned in place, and once the pins are drifted out, the sight (often soldered in place) can be drifted off toward the receiver - not toward the muzzle. Underneath it is a dovetail mount, but I have never found a scope mount narrow enough to grasp this very narrow dovetail.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom