mosin nagant recoil?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My M44 kicks almost as hard as a 12ga loaded with slugs or high brass buck shot. For me its manageable. A recoil pad would be nice but I need to pick up a slip on pad. Mine is a carbine so that makes the recoil a bit more noticeable. Don't get me wrong, its not terrible, but not a gun I'd hand to a beginner female shooter.

If she wants to hunt with something like that an SKS would be a better choice.

Last edited:

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I think you should shoot one first,an then yall decide together and see if shes up to the task."I KNOW MY WIFE IS NOT!!!!!"

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Putting 10 rounds through one will give you a nice big bruise if you aren't holding it 100% properly. Even if you are holding it right you might get a small bruise. I have never had a desire to put more than 10 rounds through mine which is why I sold it. Even with a rubber recoil pad on the back, just not much fun to beat yourself up because it's cheap.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Why, exactly, does she want that one?

Is it ;

A. the "Cool! It's a military surplus gun" factor?

Or

B. "Look how cheap it and the ammo is compared to xyz." ?

If it's "A", get her an Enfield .303, or a Garand, or even a Swedish M38.

If it's "B", look at the Ruger American, Savage 110, Marlin 336 or even the Mossberg ATR in calibers like .243, .270, .30-30, .308.
    Here's a good option posted by a BS member (not mine); http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?75753-.ABSOLUTE-LOWEST-PRICE..Win.Model-70

Either way......SHE WANTS TO HUNT! :hi5:

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    "In my opinion recoil is not a problem" a Remington 700 30-06 kick harder "just my opinion" it also depends on the person.

Grizz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Id get the limsaver recoil pad, it's a slip on that stays on good. Also I could shoot all day 100+ rounds with this pad and no bruises. The other recoil pads they sell that screw on the butt stock are not that good at all, very hard rubber.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I came to look at this thread because I just knew you would have a pic of a large female sitting on someone's shoulder. Why do you disappoint?

SORRY...Your WISH is my command:}

ni2fvj6a9tynnltsrj9a.jpg

Torino70GT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Acadiana
    I have a Mosin and a PSL both shoot the 54r. I was shocked the first time I shot the Mosin at how much the gas system of the PSL reduces the recoil of that round.... You feel the full force of the recoil with the bolt action Mosin.... It has a lot of muZzle rise when shot.....

I made the mistake of shooting it with my trigger hand arm at a 90' angle with the stock sitting in the pocket of my shoulder.... Big mistake.... How I shoot all my Soviet designed weapons because it has such short length of pull is, have my trigger arm down against my side and my off hand at the 90' angle.... (Not literally 90' but you get the point) this way I can put the stock up against a bulging chest muscle instead if a hollow shoulder pocket..... This shooting form handles recoil much much better..... It also gives a more comfortable cheek weld...

Snuggie308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Chances are pretty good that she'll hand it back to you after the first shot. Cheap is not always good. You get what you pay for. Invest in a Remington 783in .223 or .243. You' ll both be happy. You can even get them at wal-Mart. Good luck!

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Correct, it is up there with the 30-06, in recoil also. I would suggest buy his and hers Mosins and matching slip on recoil pads. The muzzle blast is fairly stout, but for 1 or 2 rounds hunting no big deal. The Mosins are generally accurate and most have been re-built so the quality is pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom