Mosin Rear Peep... Whatcha' Think?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    installed1.jpg

installed2.jpg

installed3.jpg

installed5.jpg

installed4.jpg

onrifle3.jpg

onrifle2.jpg

onrifle1.jpg

Please excuse the surroundings and the picture quality. I did this at home, not the shop, in response to some concerns that the cocking piece will move on the x and y axis and not only the z axis. The first part demonstrates that I have a standard sear, while the second and third parts give different views of the striker knob dropping.

You will see that the cocking piece only travels in the direction it's supposed to.

Regards,

Josh

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think putting a precision sight piece on a moving part is fallible.

ETA: I applaud the DIY and actually /trying/ out new ideas though, that's awesome. I think the sight placement is not great though. I question the ability to 'return to zero' after cycling. It may not be enough to see by-eye, but it doesn't take much to send your groups from 6" at 100 yards to 18" at 100 yards.

Last edited:

Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I think putting a precision sight piece on a moving part is fallible.

ETA: I applaud the DIY and actually /trying/ out new ideas though, that's awesome. I think the sight placement is not great though. I question the ability to 'return to zero' after cycling. It may not be enough to see by-eye, but it doesn't take much to send your groups from 6" at 100 yards to 18" at 100 yards.

Hello,

I hope to be over my cold enough this weekend to get out and shoot it for "postable" targets.

I guess 60-70 years ago this was considered quite the modification.

m91peeppic.jpg

M91_sight_bolt.jpg
    m91_Left_side.jpg

M91 Mosin Nagant, Early Sporter

Regards,

Josh

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Dude, what the hell is this:

Tactical Green Fiber-Optic Adjustable Sight
    $ 42.00 USD
    Best for run'n'gun!

Since when is a world war 1 bolt action combloc rifle famed for it's lack of precision used for "Run'n'gun" ?

Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Customers asked me to develop it, so I did. That's really the long and short of it. Only an idiot doesn't listen to his customers.

That sight is well-liked and works well.

Most Mosins will keep up with most Mausers in the precision department, by the way. Scoff if you'd like; both depend most on the shooter. Anything to make the rifle easier to shoot will increase precision.

The M39 is considered by many to be one of the finest bolt-action rifles of WWII. It's a Finn, but it's still a Mosin.

Josh

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree. If there's a market for it then fill that market and make money.

The Finn's certainly perfected the Mosin Nagant design in terms of accuracy. Also the Finn M39 is one of the finest Mosin Nagant's ever made. But the Mosin Nagant was out dated by WW2. The Russian's knew it. They were trying to come up with it's replacement. But it was rugged, dependable, and more accurate than the soldiers using it for the most part. But the main reason they were used in huge quantities was b/c the Russians could make a butt load of them in a hurry.

Anyway as a drop in part that some people might like I think it's ingenious. I looked through your website and saw many interesting products. Good luck to you with it.

Dave

Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Hello,

I'm currently in the office/workshop. Orwell is on internet radio, and I'm filling sight orders.

I've also prototyped an interchangeable aperture rear peep. The first size is 3/32", which is my favorite size peep sight.

Pictures to follow later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Regards,

Josh

Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    int1.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

The existing ghost ring is about 0.125". This aperture shown is 0.094.

I don't really like the 0.094" as it just falls in between ghost ring and not-ghost-ring, and if I go to production, the standard aperture size will be about 0.063 or so to start with, anyway.

I still like the ghost ring as it holds the front sight hood centered perfectly, but I understand those who desire the smaller aperture and will be trying it out myself shortly, before I start making it.

Also included is a slightly improved lockup to return the cocking piece to perfect zero every time.

I'm not sure it's needed, but it's there as a redundancy.

I'm also trying to watch the complexity as complexity = weight = slower lock time, which we don't want.

Josh

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm gonna risk asking a stupid question. Are you adapting a standard swivel stud? That was my first thought when I saw your sight.

Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    int_scrsht.jpg

And sorry for the pics above not showing up. Photobucket is having problems with their Pro accounts, which I have. The pics should be back up shortly, according to them.

Regards,

Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom