Mosin vs Modern hunting rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    I know I loved shooting the SKS, and the .30-06 sort of intimidated me. An accurate specimen of .308 in a semi-automatic would be damn near perfect. But would a modern, lightweight .308 bolt gun such as I'm considering have less recoil than a heavier Mosin M 91/30? I guess probably so, because of the ability to select lighter grain bullets. I don't think an M1A is in my budget. :(

If the 30-06 intimidated you, you can forget about the mosin.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Mosin with Iron Sights and this Low Recoil Ammo

I like dat me:}

The Mosin Nagant is a really popular surplus rifle for its low price and affordable ammo. But 7.62x54R is no joke, it kicks. After a day at the range with the old Russian WWII workhorse my shoulder is usually pretty bruised up.

I stumbled upon some low recoil 7.62x54R over at SGAmmo, I haven’t given it a try yet but from the video below it looks like a perfect way to get some range time in without needing to ice my shoulder afterwards. According to SGammo it feels similar to shooting .22 magnum and is about 3200 FPS at the muzzle yet still pretty accurate up to 200 yards. At $30 for 108 rounds it’s not as cheap as surplus spam can ammo, but it won’t break the bank, or your shoulder.

Shoots smooth and no big kick:}

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Oppsimissed has made you the best offer you will ever get. Try them out and make up your mind. What rifle to buy is the question that keeps gun magazine companies in business, my answer is to buy what interests me and get rid of what I don't like.
    The Mosin is (in my opinion) one of the best buys for the money, it will not go down in value; they were about 75-90 bucks not long ago, Remember the sks rifles at that same price? A can of ammo can be found for about $90.00 if you look.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    Oppsimissed, thank you for the kind offer. I have a couple of friends with Mosins who want to put one in my hands; one guy has a range on his land and our wives are friends so that will probably happen in the not too distant future.

I'm kind of an odd case around here, in that I am buying guns that I will probably never shoot or hunt much. In the recent past there were years when I never fired a round. This is why I'm trying to be pretty severe in scaling back, though my losses were insured.

The two folks I'm most apt to hunt with (both landowners, in two different states) are advising modern guns. For political reasons, probably best to listen to their advice! For the record, though, I'm feeling like I should have taken delivery on the Mosin and just tinkered with it for awhile. Cheap thrills. I'm just trying not to "collect" guns. I want a few tools to see me through to retirement, which may be overseas where my guns will likely not be able to come with me.

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    Holy Toledo. I just figured out that I've fired one single round of ammunition in the past four years. That one dropped a deer this winter. Four years ago I bought a cheap .22 pistol and took it to the range once. I thought that was less than two years ago. :(

sparky_benton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    if you do buy one check out the archangel stocks for them .. it is a direct drop in and it gives it a very modern look.....

Saqqara

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I ended up ordering a new Savage Axis II XP in .308. I didn't initially like the Savage Axis, but this package checked all of my boxes. Accutrigger, removable magazine, decent Weaver Kaspa scope.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I was thinking of replacing my stolen SKS and my stolen .30-06 with a Mosin Nagant, two birds with one stone. Idea being it is cheap, and cheap to shoot, interesting in its own right as a piece of history and a military gun. My opportunities to hunt and shoot are fewer than they once were so I'm trying to scale back but still cover all the bases.

I even ordered a Mosin from Classic Firearms, but got cold feet and canceled the order. I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward a modern rifle being a better fit for me, maybe in a .308.

In short, I think the $100 price tag is an illusion... shipping, transfer, elbow grease, refinishing supplies... As a hunting gun it's not an ideal platform for a scope if I wanted one; and it is long and heavy, with lots of recoil.

A modern bolt gun with synthetic stock and a scope can be had for $300 new. But how much might one cost in a pawn shop, in cosmetic condition akin to a surplus Mosin?

If I expected to have a lot of time at the range, the ammo cost savings could be huge with a Mosin. But I really don't. And if I did, it might be more attractive to shoot something with lighter recoil; and I'd not be as sensitive to the purchase price of the gun itself.

The Mosin seems like the sort of gun that one might really enjoy tinkering with, that could become a hobby in its own right. But I have a lot of other toys crying out for use, and for maintenance, so maybe I need something I can wipe with oil and put away.

Anxious to hear what insurance is going to give me for my SKS. I paid $150 for it, shiny new, and didn't put much wear on it to speak of.

OK, first let me say sorry for your losses. It's a real bummer to have your stuff stolen, especially your guns.
    The Mosin is a fine weapon, and cheap to shoot, but you are correct, not the greatest gun for hunting, as it is, except from a stand.
    But I have to disagree on the recoil....I've owned several, and still own one, and the recoil is no more than similar guns to me.
    You could make it a project, shorten the barrel and recrown, replace or modify the stock, get a bent bolt and install a scope.
    I've done those things to one I had, and it was definitely better for it. But it really wasn't worth the money.
    If your looking to replace both your missing guns, I'd suggest the Ruger American. I own two, great guns, light and very accurate and reliable. Under $400.
    SKS's aren't so cheap anymore, but I still see Norinco versions for around $350 often, and it's still worth it in my opinion. My SKS is a Yugo.
    Good luck in your decisions.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    I have owned 3 Mosins (Hex and a round receivers and a M44) I sold them all because they kick like a mule and I never shot them. I put the money towards a M1A which is a lot more fun to shoot.

Woose! ;)

I had 14. Down to 13 now. I just sold one to get up some cash for a rarer one. But what do I know? I also have 3 Steyr M95 8X56R rifles, and they kick worse.

skyblue

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    mandeville
    I have the m44. polish weapon, 1955 issue. It's dead on at 100 yds. To live with the kick think military. shoot with the sling. That does the trick all vets should agree. It's as good as any out therefor hunting in this area. The mechanics are so utilitarian makes for easy mainteance and built like a tank. Not a fan of the long rifle too cumbersome. Prefer to look for satelitte countries in hopes of less use like mine.
    Good luck.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a M44. Recoil is on par with a 12ga shotgun loaded with slugs. A recoil pad might help... but a full sized Moison wouldn't have as much recoil.

If you spend $100 on a Moison, keep it for 6 months, you can still sell it for what you paid. If you wait 2 years you might even double your money. Such is the nature of surplus firearms.
    If you spend $400 on a bottom end modern bolt gun in .308 you can sell it for a loss any time after. It is easier to mount a scope but a bad investment. If you're just going to hunt with it it will do the job. Don't expect to turn it into a tack driver.
    For twice that (give or take) you can buy a remington 700 and have a good quality bolt gun.

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Got a Mosin within the past year (Cabela's in Gonzales). I love mine. Only shot it once and barely put any ammo through it. But man it's got to be one of the most accurate guns ever made, especially for it's time. Using the stock iron sights at 100 yard gong targets I hit 14 out of 15 times. Haven't shot it since. I see it as more of a collector's item that I'll take out just every now and then to show friends.

As far as the kick people say it kicks like a mule, I think it's more to do with the mind than anything. The end of the Mosin is a steel butt plate, so it feels like its kicking harder than it is. Still hurts a little though, especially after shooting skeet :D but it was worth it.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I own *a lot* of Mosin-Nagants. 91/30s, M44s, M38s, and T53s. They all have similar recoil - which means you can shoot more than about 70 rounds of spam-cam milsurp ammo without bruising your shoulder. The limb-save recoil pad pretty much eliminates this issue though. $20 and you never have to think about recoil again. When you buy one online the bore is pretty much the luck of the draw. Some have beautiful bores, but most have been fired a lot - in wartime conditions. For my money the M38 is the best hunting variant. It's light and maneuverable, and it doesn't have that heavy bayonet on the muzzle.

If you want a surlus rifle you can mount a scope on, you might think about a Yugoslavian Mauser. Light use, and all the advantages of a bolt gun - and It's got a receiver you can mount a scope on top of. Big advantage there.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    For Hollowhunter, with the Mosin rifle I bought a (new condition) re-arsenalled rifle in a caliber comparable to a .308 winchester and 440 rounds of ammo for +-$160.00; find that deal on a commercial gun. The mosin will shoot point of aim at the 100 yd rifle range and presumably just as well beyond to it's +- 800 yd accuracy limit. Yes, it looks funny and makes loud noises; hell, it even kicks when it is fired. The mosin was designed in 1891 and is still encountered on the battlefield in the mid-east, can your gun claim over 100 years of use?
    I am on my soapbox, but if you wouldn't take one on a bet it leaves more for people who can understand the "old school" firearms that have style and function that exceed ANY new gun. My .02 and a pet peeve, apologies.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Here you go.

Killed this mule deer last year at 265 yds with My mosin with an (EEK!!) NC-Star 2-7x long eye relief scope mounted on a .22 style on-piece 1" ring base that I drilled and blind tapped onto the rifle (to keep it from recoiling off). I have since destroyed the scope and have moved to a nicer Nikon scout scope for the rifle and I do believe the hunting days are likely over for it. I shot the deer with 150 gr. PPU soft point ammo and it absolutely DESTROYED the deer.

This mosin has the sharpest rifling I have ever seen out of all of the mosin's and slugged at .311 exactly. I could easily reload with .303 british bullets and may do that just to see how acccurate it is. The rifle will shoot about a 4" group at 200 yds as is. I would call this an absolute STAND OUT as far as mosin's go and I have a ton of work and time invested in it including cutting 4" off the barrel, threading for 5/8 .308 style muzzle brakes, etc. I plan on shooting it with my kestrel .308 silencer soon to see what it will sound like.

I also polished the trigger myself (sandpaper on a pencil eraser) and while it has a long creep, the trigger breaks clean at 4 lbs 10 ounces pretty dang consistently.

ALL this being said, my son's Savage .243 youth that I bought from walmart on clearance for $157 will out-shoot this rifle with ease and was significantly cheaper, included a drop mag, has a much better scope mounting option, etc. Mosin's are more fun in their "iron sights" form and on surplus ammo to be honest.

Patrick

akycqv.jpg

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If you get the mosin, you can run around the house, jump on the bed and stab your pillow!

IMO, the recoil of the mosin is manageable, and of your choices, it is the one that will most likely increase in value over time. You can definitely hunt with it, but it's not the rifle I grab when I hunt. I personally feel that if the mosin is what you choose, understand that it is a iron sight mil-surplus rifle, enjoy it for what it is, and if you want a modern stock, optics, ect., get something else.

Top Bottom