Mossberg 930 SPX in 12ga

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Got a friend that looking at one of these. I don't know much of anything with mossberg semi autos. Are these home runs or duds? Any other good sugestions within same price range? He liked the way it looked and I have to admit I'd have hard time trying to argue it don't look sexy.
    images

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Got a friend that looking at one of these. I don't know much of anything with mossberg semi autos. Are these home runs or duds? Any other good sugestions within same price range? He liked the way it looked and I have to admit I'd have hard time trying to argue it don't look sexy.
    images

I kindof view it as an economical alternative to an M4. I have heard a lot of good about them, and they are picking up popularity in 3-gun. The only issues I have heard from them are canted front-sights, but that's any weapon with that type of front sight. It was bad a couple of years ago, but have not really kept my ear to the ground, and they have probably fixed the issue by now. What does he want it for? I think the M2 still rules the roost for 3-gun, but anything else you would use a shotgun like that for, I have heard they will do well.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I kindof view it as an economical alternative to an M4. I have heard a lot of good about them, and they are picking up popularity in 3-gun. The only issues I have heard from them are canted front-sights, but that's any weapon with that type of front sight. It was bad a couple of years ago, but have not really kept my ear to the ground, and they have probably fixed the issue by now. What does he want it for? I think the M2 still rules the roost for 3-gun, but anythingelse you would use a shotgun like that for, I have heard they will do well.

Sooooo..... That means you're selling the M1 you got? :x:

marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    100% grand slam. IDK about pistol grip with the tang mounted safety though. Mine was a regular stock.

Last edited:

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I own one and love it, nothing compares in that price range IMHO! I have the non pistol grip version though, the SX.

The canted front site is a non issue anymore and if happens to get one that old Mossberg will fix it. The only suggestion that I can make right away is to get the larger charging handle.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    My wife's boss has the SPX and JM and prefer the ring better. But I have very limited shotgun experience. Misses on the SPX are shorter barrel, smaller shot capacity, can't use chokes on the JM I want ring sights. But from what I've read the ring makes you slower. Not sure why but read that on Enos forum last night

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Picking mine up next week but have shot, A LOT, with a buddy's in Houston. That experience sold me big time. His, and mine, have the non PG stock. Don't like them for this model as the safety is on the back of the receiver and requires moving your hand/thumb off the grip to engage/disengage. PG's fine on 870's, MUCH slower imo on Moss's (500/590/930/935).

NOTHING like it in that price range imo. Played at LGS recently with the new "Miculek Pro" (20", vent, longer mag tube, 1 more round) but did not fire that one. Think I'll stick with the SPX anyway. There are also non SPX versions that you can "build your own" with, also cheaper than the SPX as well.

The issues early on with canted sights and wormed out screw holes for the rails have been corrected years ago. For a more in depth review (that spans over a year with added parts, corrections, versions, etc.), check out:

www.weaponevolution.com

Just search there, or do a Google search for 930 SPX review and you'll land there too.

Don't get my shorts in a wad too often about this new one or that but this one...hell...I even changed my shorts in anticipation of picking it up. Got mine for $560 thru Buds.

Hope this helps.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    My wife's boss has the SPX and JM and prefer the ring better. But I have very limited shotgun experience. Misses on the SPX are shorter barrel, smaller shot capacity, can't use chokes on the JM I want ring sights. But from what I've read the ring makes you slower. Not sure why but read that on Enos forum last night

I agree that the ring is a tad slower, but only if you try to dead center it under 25 yards. Just touch the fiber to the target and with secure cheekweld, let her rip, same as a bead.

Where that ring shines is in dropping accurate slugs at 50 and 75 yards. MUCH better, at least for me, than a bead front. I don't "gungame" much anymore so I'm not referring to 3 gun sport shoots. But I've shot that puppy pretty fast at 75 yards with slugs and it's more than minute of head accurate, fast as I can pull the trigger. Think it'll work out fine. Anything else is up to God.

Top Bottom