Mossberg 930spx mods

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    This is my mossberg 930spx that I have used in a couple 3 gun competitions. I was planning on using this as a truck gun and get one of the 930JMpro models, but they are hard to come by. Until then I decided to fix this one up.

I picked it up on a trade from a buddy, finish has some wear from being behind his back seat in the truck. It was one of the 'first gen' models with the canted front sight tower and thin walled barrel. I sent the barrel off to mossberg, they said they will replace it with the 3rd gen barrel with new front sight tower and heavy wall barrel. Once I get it back I will have it duracoated to take care of the finish wear.

I decided to open up the loading port since it is easy to pinch a finger when feeding shells into the mag tube. I also beveled the edges while I was at it. This was my first time to something like this, but I am pleased with the outcome. I still have some light filing to do before the duracoat.

8dbcf4f6.jpg

8bba162a.jpg

The only other things I have planned are to buy an oversize safety selector, make a teflon follower for the mag tube, and make an oversize bolt handle.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to have the barrel threaded to accept chokes?

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Here is a teflon follower I made yesterday. It slides MUCH smoother that the factory one. I left a little 'nub' in the middle that can be felt when the tube is empty.

cf9bf460.jpg

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    A potential problem with that "nub" is that it could puncture the crimp terminus on some shotshells. Fine birdshot, or the buffer material most buckshot comes with these days, could "leak" out and cause some issues.

Not saying this WILL occur... but its something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the heads up. I saw where some aftermarket followers had it and some didn't. I ended up taking it down a little lower, about .063" tall, which is just enough to feel with the finger but shallower than the depth from the rolled crimp edge to the bottom of the crimp of the shells I had on hand. The edge of the shell rides on the follower rather than the crimp.

Top Bottom