mossberg or...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishredhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Slidell, La
    soooooooo. ive been lookin at shotguns lately. and ive been thinking about getting one. the one that i keep going back to is the mossberg 500 spx 12 gauge 6 shot. now, ive never owned a shotgun b4, all i have right now is a handgun. so i dont know what would qualify as an ideal home protection shotgun. im not a hunter, so it wont be used for that type of activity. so what do yall think? :)

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    mossberg 500 is fine, I've got one. Have you ever SHOT a shotgun? (You say you've never owned one.) Just make sure you know how to handle/hold it. It'll do the job.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    you can't go wrong with either a mossberg or a rem 870. i personally prefer the location of the pump release on the 870.

i believe the one I got was from GMSHooter or one of the other sponsors on here. Academy will have both and probably at a good price. You will want a tactical length (18") for home defense.

If you are looking for a long gun for home defense, may I suggest .223 rifle like an AR15, Mini-14, or something similar. Less of a penetration issue than a shotgun, more capacity, normaly lighter, and more moldable to your body and shooting style. Just something to consider.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    nola, you working at all over there? ;)

I know. It feels like he is right down the street.

LOL. If I told you what my schedule was you would hate me more than you guys do now. All I will say is that the Muslims are celebrating Ramadan and they do not train during Ramadan.

So....I have a whole range, containers of AK's, AMD's, RPK's, RPD's, RPG's, and some grenades all too myself.

Life is good, but i miss home. If I did not have internet access, man it would suck.

motivatortraffic.jpg

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Irish, your body frame size may also be a deciding factor, do you have a small/large frame? That's also something to consider,

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Both the 500 and the 870 are great choices on a budget, both have lots of accesories on the market and as mentioned b4 the main diff is going to be the pump release on the 500 is a little tricky to operate until u get used to it on your case being left handed it would be your trigger finger the one to do the work

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Rem 870 is the king of the low cost shotgun. They just work, and don't stop and the action bar lock and safety are in logical, easy to use places. My only gripe is the stocks seem long for average sized and smaller persons, but that could be a personal preference as I like shorter stocks on pretty much everything.

LSP972 has an 870 with a youth sized stock, fit me like a glove. I'm still tempted to cut down mine but don't wanna mess up the hogue stocks I have.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Never seen an 870 with a houge. is it an overmold, just like the rem 700 houge stocks?

yep, same size/shape as factory but has rubber molded into the grip and forearm. The forearm is also sized smaller so that it doesn't overlap the receiver when bolt is open, easier for side saddles and such if your into that. I bought it on a whim from a member here, seen them in stores though.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    If you plan on keeping it stock and not modding it with a pistol grip stock then the 500 may save you a few bucks. Otherwise go Remmy 870. Just can't go wrong there. You WILL hate the 500 safety if you want to put a Knoxx type pistol grip stock.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    and you WILL hate a shotgun if you aren't used to them and try to shoot one with a pistol grip. Actually you WILL hate a shotgun if you are not given good instructions and touch one off without proper stance, grip, shoulder, etc.

When I first met my wife she was horribly gunshy and afraid to shoot anything, all because some jackass handed her a 12 gauge and didn't give her any instructions and it knocked the hell out of her shoulder. Once I got her over that and taught her the proper way, she enjoys shooting shotties now.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Knoxx RRS + 2 3/4" 00 buck + 105 pound girlfriend = stupid grin of satisfaction.

"Look, ma-- I can handle a shotgun!"

Provided you're holding the weapon even half correctly, that stock is really amazing in how much recoil it absorbs/redirects.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have Mossberg 500 that has never been fired I would part with for a decent price. It has an 18" barrel, regular stock and pistol grip. Pm me if you are interested.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have both and have had them for a while. Get the 870; no question.

Get a HUNTER to intro you to pump action shotguns. I have seen videos of police instructors who did not know the first thing about handling a pump.

The Remington 870 has been the undisputed king of pumps since the Winchester Model 12 became unavailable, then unaffordable. None of the Model 12 clones is a Model 12.

Consider that the Alaska brown bear guides carry 870's to back-up their hunter-clients.

The 870 is extremely durable, very reliable, has the most available accessories, is the easiest to fix or adjust, etc.

I have a friend who is a game-ranch manager and was a duck & goose guide before getting his college degree. He has the same 870 that he began with when he was 13 years old. That 870 has had jillions of rounds through it, has seen some really bad weather, and a lot of abuse. It still functions flawlessly and he uses it more than the several more expensive shotguns he now has.

One more thing: Leave the "pistol grip" stock off of it. Learn to shoot it well with the standard stock.

Do make sure that you get plenty safety training and mentoring with your new shotgun.

leVieux

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you plan on keeping it stock and not modding it with a pistol grip stock then the 500 may save you a few bucks. Otherwise go Remmy 870. Just can't go wrong there. You WILL hate the 500 safety if you want to put a Knoxx type pistol grip stock.

The safety on a 500 is in a good place if you keep the regular stock. If you want the pistol grip and buttstock such as the Knoxx then consider the Mossberg Maverick 88. The 6 shot is $190 at Academy or you can get the 8 shot at Buds Gun Shop (online) for $200 shipped (plus transfer). It has a cross bolt safety instead which works much better for the pistol grip stock. And it's cheaper by about a $100 which will pay for the Knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip buttstock. You can't change the slide tube furniture like on the 500 but other than that they're basically the same.

Now if someone could just tell me whether I should get a Chevy or a Ford...

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You may want to consider either the 870 or Mossberg in 20 gauge. Much less recoil, lighter, and a bad guy will never know the difference. They can also be found in a youth model with shorter stock and barrel.

Top Bottom