Mossberg Patrol Rifle stamped 7.62x51. Shoots 308??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RONRON47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    new orleans, la
    So I recently purchased a Mossberg Patrol rifle. As advertised, I ordered it in .308SWIN and had it shipped from WV to my local FFL in Louisiana.
    When I received the rifle, it’s stamped 7.62x51. Called the dealer and he said it will shoot 308 no problem.

However, I wanted some more input on this to clarify. This rifle will be used primarily for whitetail hunting.

Thanks!

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ssberg-mvp-patrol-matte-blued-rifle/p/1321642

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I would double check for sure. I know 5.56 is generally hotter than .223 with slightly different case dimensions. However .223 can be shot in a 5.56 stamped rifle not the other way around.

Now .308 is just the opposite and it is hotter than 7.62x51. Not sure on the case dimensions of that cartridge. I know 7.62x51 can be shot in a. 308 rifle but not sure if it works the other way around.. Check twice, blow up once.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Found this. Check the manual and see if you can find this quote.
    97650fa4f984cbefea3a5229f7fb1170.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I know I was jesting earlier but it is very likely safe. Under the perfect conditions it "could" end up badly. The 308 operates at a higher chamber pressure and the other factors are headspacing and the 308's thinner case.
    Copied from an article discussing it.
    The .308 Winchester chamber headspace is between 1.630 and 1.6340 inches. While that for 7.62x51mm NATO is between 1.6355 and 1.6405 inches. The slight difference in size might not seem like a big deal until you fire a thinner brass in a long-chambered rifle. The disaster is that the brass will stretch, perhaps enough to lead to a dangerous case rupture. This text is originally from HuntingHeart.com, you can read more here: https://huntingheart.com/can-you-shoot-a-7-62-x-51-ammo-in-a-308-rifle/

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    If you want to be certain, the easiest way is to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Headspace-Gauge-308-NO-GO/dp/B00703SVZ6 , drop it in, and see if the bolt closes. If so, then no go, if not then shoot away. The pressure difference is minimal when taking into account the differences in measuring pressure between the two rounds, one being CUP, and the other being PSI. 50k CUP is roughly the equivalent of 58k ish psi, both chambers are tested to far greater pressures. You will experience case failures before you experience a chamber failure, absent a barrel obstruction etc. Head spacing would be the main issue, and most manufacturers of 7.62 use the .308 dimension rather than the longer head spacing. I have yet to find a commercially produced firearm with a chamber that size. Even then .0065 is generally not a huge cause for concern, unless you are using some light brass, or many time fired brass that may be weaker through the web due to resizing so many times. Just look for pressure signs if you reload, and if you are using factory ammo, you should be G2G. You will be able to tell easily if there are any chamber size issues after firing, and there are many numbers of ways to measure.

RONRON47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    new orleans, la
    I know I was jesting earlier but it is very likely safe. Under the perfect conditions it "could" end up badly. The 308 operates at a higher chamber pressure and the other factors are headspacing and the 308's thinner case.
    Copied from an article discussing it.
    The .308 Winchester chamber headspace is between 1.630 and 1.6340 inches. While that for 7.62x51mm NATO is between 1.6355 and 1.6405 inches. The slight difference in size might not seem like a big deal until you fire a thinner brass in a long-chambered rifle. The disaster is that the brass will stretch, perhaps enough to lead to a dangerous case rupture. This text is originally from HuntingHeart.com, you can read more here: https://huntingheart.com/can-you-shoot-a-7-62-x-51-ammo-in-a-308-rifle/

In the manual it states it will fire both. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Just discovered that yesterday.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've hunted for years running .308 WIN through my AR-10 (Armalite) 7.62 x 51 with zero issues. Too many deer and hogs taken with it to remember. It will serve you well.

Top Bottom