Most reliable ATV?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I know maintenance is the most important factor but between Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris and Can-Am which is the most reliable?

From my limited research it looks like:
    • Independent Suspension is important because it increases ground clearance.
    • True 4x4 locking diferential will will get stuck less than 2wd or limited slip 4x4.
    • Power steering will wear you out less after a long day in the saddle.

Right now the Yamaha Grizzly 700 is at the top of my list.

Thoughts?

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I bought a brand new Honda Foreman 500 a few months ago, and love it I don't see the need for IRS(for me). I kind of regret not getting the power steering, and the locking differential has pulled me out the few times the "4x4" didn't. I have had good luck with honda. Good luck.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Don't currently own one because the jeep can brings me wherever I need to go, but Honda foreman is one of the best most reliable 4 wheelers ever built in my opinion.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    He most reliable is the old Honda 300 fourtrax. I have had newer Hondas and yamahas, I choose Honda out of those two. I've never owned a canam or Polaris but my neighbor has a nice canam that's been broken down behind his house for a year. He said he can't keep the joints in the front from tearing up.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    I can only speak for yamaha and honda since I owned both. The ride on my yamaha was great nice and smooth but when it came to parts they were very proud of their parts and you would pay dearly for them. Now my honda I've had zero major problems with it but the few minor things I had bought to replace were a whole lot cheaper. So I would have to say honda out of them two.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Depends on what you are going to do with it? Leave it bone stock and not beat the crap out of it? = Honda manual shift
    If it will be modified, it all depends. Each has theuir own quirks.
    I have owned Honda, kawa, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris. Each has their own advantages. In stock form, Honda is designed to last, but not perform- just look at the factory tires as a comparison, Honda is mild compared to the rest. Of course gnarly tires are going to tear stuff up, but they do a better job of getting you home.
    Oh, and the Honda 300 is the 2nd best bike ever, the big red 250es is #1!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Depends on what you are going to do with it? Leave it bone stock and not beat the crap out of it? = Honda manual shift
    I have owned Honda, kawa, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris. Each has their own advantages. In stock form, Honda is designed to last, but not perform- just look at the factory tires as a comparison, Honda is mild compared to the rest. Of course gnarly tires are going to tear stuff up, but they do a better job of getting you home.

This guy "uses" the crap out of his stuff. Just saying.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I have had good luck with a Honda 350 rancher, if it weren't for ethanol in fuel and a dead battery it would have a perfect record.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We have a Polaris side by side, a Yamaha griz 450, and a small Honda 250 ES. All have been reliable, but we take care of our sheet. The Yamaha is a cold natured beast. When it's cold it takes love, patience, and lots of choke to keep it running ( it's not an old bike either) The little 250 Honda is a great bike but it's only 2 wheel drive. It will get us to 90 % of the places we need to go however. We love iit. It's a 2002 model but it just keeps going and going and going. The Polaris has been very dependable and a work horse, but who ever came up with the way you have to change the oil in the engine should be shot. It's a crazy process. The Yamaha and Polaris are 4 wheel drive. You can't go wrong with any of them, but if you can get 4 wheel drive. It's always nice to have when you need it. If you take care of your bike as in change the oil and filters and wash it regularly you should get an easy 7-10 years out of it. On the other hand if you have teenagers like me your milage may vary.

Last edited:

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana

I have been running Honda's my whole life and this guy couldn't have gotten it more right. I never found the need to mod these bikes much further than better tires. They aren't as fast or pretty as a new Can-Am but they are the workhorse of the atv world.
    I drive a Honda 500 Foreman es with the power steering daily for work and its a solid bike with plenty of power. I wouldn't recommend the ES to anyone, it is the worst part of the bike.
    I can't speak on the Yamaha.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    4 Wheeler ATV Honda

Side by side UTV reliable Kawasaki Mule Diesel For work it can't be beat, but for play its heavy and slow.
    Polaris Rangers are a great all around rig for normal use.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I have been running Honda's my whole life and this guy couldn't have gotten it more right. I never found the need to mod these bikes much further than better tires. They aren't as fast or pretty as a new Can-Am but they are the workhorse of the atv world.
    I drive a Honda 500 Foreman es with the power steering daily for work and its a solid bike with plenty of power. I wouldn't recommend the ES to anyone, it is the worst part of the bike.
    I can't speak on the Yamaha.

Is the ES electronic shift? What don't you like about it?

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    it all depends on what you are going to use it for. if it is just hunting, then any of them will be good for 10 maybe 20+ years but if you are going mud riding all the time and deep water then not one on the list is going to last long. the Honda Forman is the good and e z to modify lots of parts out there, i think the Polaris is cheaper and rids nice.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Is the ES electronic shift? What don't you like about it?

Yes, Electric Shift. I don't like that it doesn't work consistently, unlike a good ol' manual shift, which has always worked. I often have to push it several times to make it shift, both up and down. To be honest, the bike I am referring to is a 2007; I would assume they have improved it since then. But in my example of one, I can't even wash my bike without the ES system acting up. (Yes I know this can be fixed with some grease in the electric fittings, but as a customer you shouldn't have to do this to a new bike.)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You won't kill a Honda Foreman 500 Manual Shift. I had one for a long time and took it everywhere. It's seen Red Creek Offroad and Tower Trax multiple times. It's great for riding the trails, but it won't perform like a modified Brute or Polaris.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I chose manual shift because
    1- it's proven, less electrical
    2- I need a hand free to keep a hand on my young children who ride with me
    3- I need a hand to hold my...beverage.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Honda foreman 500 ES w/ 27" mud lite xtp been a good bike...not a mudder by any means. Gets me to the duck blind and back. had to clean the carb a few times ...ethanol is the devil.

Top Bottom