Mottled ducks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I read in the news that hunters will not be allowed to take mottled ducks for the first 15 days of the duck season this year.
    That will basically eliminate shooting any brown ducks for the first 15 days of the season. I think it will be extremely difficult to discern whether a brown duck is a mottled duck or some other brown duck on the wing.
    Game wardens don't make allowances for mistaken identity.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I read in the news that hunters will not be allowed to take mottled ducks for the first 15 days of the duck season this year.
    That will basically eliminate shooting any brown ducks for the first 15 days of the season. I think it will be extremely difficult to discern whether a brown duck is a mottled duck or some other brown duck on the wing.
    Game wardens don't make allowances for mistaken identity.
    That’s crazy…. Where on the Bend are you? My Dad lives in Quiet Cove. Do y’all duck hunt up there? I hope you say yes because I will start hunting duck up there. My dad is on the Toro lease for deer and such.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That’s crazy…. Where on the Bend are you? My Dad lives in Quiet Cove. Do y’all duck hunt up there? I hope you say yes because I will start hunting duck up there. My dad is on the Toro lease for deer and such.
    I'm between Yokum and Arnold coves. I used to duck hunt when I first moved here and only killed one canvasback per day. There are no ducks now that the submerged aquatic vegetation has disappeared in most of the lake. There are still some wood duck and I used to hunt them on the deer lease that I no longer belong to that bordered Pirates Cove. I don't hunt those now either.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh great. Try discerning exactly what breed of duck you’re shooting right at daylight or if they’re flying in with the sun to their backs. The real quandary will be whether to skip the first 2 weeks or just take my chances. Gotta love all this regulation.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Thats right magdump.....and take in the fact that when we duck hunt in south LA. its not like the hunting shows... The ducks that make it down here have been shot at over planted and flooded baited duck fields paid for by ducks unlimited and federal taxs for 1900 miles... What we get is the few gun shy ducks that havent been killed yet, but that have seen every trick, decoy, and call in the book and seen all there friends get killed and shot at for 1900 miles every time they see the same decoys and calls.. All they thinking about is making it to mexico... In other words if you see a single or double showing some interest, you might get a fly by shot which dont give you much time to figure out the exact species

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Thats right magdump.....and take in the fact that when we duck hunt in south LA. its not like the hunting shows... The ducks that make it down here have been shot at over planted and flooded baited duck fields paid for by ducks unlimited and federal taxs for 1900 miles... What we get is the few gun shy ducks that havent been killed yet, but that have seen every trick, decoy, and call in the book and seen all there friends get killed and shot at for 1900 miles every time they see the same decoys and calls.. All they thinking about is making it to mexico... In other words if you see a single or double showing some interest, you might get a fly by shot which dont give you much time to figure out the exact species

This is the sad reality of what things are and how Ducks unlimited have screwed the members and hunters in the south. They became lobbiest for flooded food plots and guided hunts where they just sky blast into flocks of birds. This practice of ''hunting'' leaves plenty of cripples to wastefully die, so for a group of 10 blasting 30 shells into a flock, for every bird they drop there are likely one or two maybe more that will die within a few hours or days.
    I raised my sons to be ethical hunters in a world full of unethical people claiming to hunt as they sky blast, shoot many moments before legal time, leave trash and dead birds of all species floating and wont expend any energy to find a cripple. Its a damn shame.
    Even more a shame what our goobermint and ducks unlimited have done.
    Have not seen wildlife enforcement in our area in over five years, its lawless out here, even had a jack leg shoot at the front of our boat with my son sitting up there as we tried to make our way into a slew that leads to many ponds because said jack leg was set up in the slew blocking the way into the marsh. Most folks will flash a light at you, Not a muzzle flash and pepper you.
    Reporting any such behavior falls on deaf ears

On the mottled duck there is no way in hell anyone can see the difference between them and a mallard hen when flying or decoying

snake doctor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    NOLA
    Mottled ducks often fly tightly as pairs, whereas others are in larger groups. That's the first clue before you are close enough to discern what they are. You still have to be careful with your targeting since the limit is one mottled duck.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Oh great. Try discerning exactly what breed of duck you’re shooting right at daylight or if they’re flying in with the sun to their backs. The real quandary will be whether to skip the first 2 weeks or just take my chances. Gotta love all this regulation.
    That’s exactly what I was thinking. What if you accidentally kill two with one shot?

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Mottled ducks often fly tightly as pairs, whereas others are in larger groups. That's the first clue before you are close enough to discern what they are. You still have to be careful with your targeting since the limit is one mottled duck.

correct, I was taught the same years ago though in todays hunting waterfowl in most areas you are lucky to see two or three in a group, often more times singles for Mallard, mottled, black and greys.
    Mainly dogris and teal in larger flocks these days in Big branch marsh, North shore marsh and even a bit farther down south.

Top Bottom