Movie or Book thread?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Can we get a forum thread that focuses on Movie or Book reviews? I am thinking more along the lines of Military, Tactical, Weapons and Survival related... I'm not looking to give/read reviews on the next Transformers or The Notebook II.

I have almost finished "13 Hours In Benghazi", and would like to begin the thread with a review of the book and events. I know other members have read some very useful literature (quoted in threads) and could recommend good reads to users to address needs.

If possible... I think it would be beneficial to the entire community of users. Just an idea.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    BENGHAZI UNDER FIRE

%7B706CDD4E-D5F2-4D68-AE48-4458B6251441%7DImg400.jpg

Prior to the release of 13 hours, the book, Benghazi under fire was released. It detailed an inside account of the attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, and Navy SEALs Tyrone S. Woods and Glen Doherty (I don't use the term "Former" when addressing warriors who've earned the trident or any other SOF insignia).

This book is a gripping account of not only the battle, but the events leading up to it and beyond. It details the politics behind the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, the insurgent attack of the facility, step by step accounts of the battle that ensued and then the escape/rescue of the survivors. Brief backgrounds of those involved (with some redaction for those whom continue to serve) are also given to draw the reader in closer to the victims and their roles.

Without spoiling the book, I would just like to say that it kept me interested from start to finish. In most instances, it puts the reader directly into the events and allows you to picture exactly what is being relayed by the writers. Racing through the streets of Benghazi in an armored vehicle, loaded with QRF (Quick Reaction Force) operators as the team members defy orders, revealing a secret CIA presence in Libya, and charge head on to rescue their brothers in arms and those they're assigned to protect.

It details the heroism of everyone involved, DS (Diplomatic Security) Team members, CIA Contractors, etc. You'll feel like you're on the roof with Glen and Tyrone, dodging RPG fire and LMG rounds as they battle the onslaught of fighters pouring into the compound. Their actions, as well as their support teams, are the reason why some of those members made it home the following day.

Before reading this book, most believe that the images they watched on News reports are exactly what occurred. Most believe everything took place within a few hours. Most have no idea.

Following your read of this book, you'll have a new outlook on the attack in Benghazi. It will raise questions in your mind as to the actions of the government and the choices made by those who get paid to sit in a room and dictate the lives of others regardless of the loss. You'll also ask yourself questions that will make you hit google... Who is Blue Mountain Group? Was it really about the video on YouTube? Why were the QRF team members told to "Stand Down" or "Hold"? Why was the facility so undermanned and ill-equipped to handle an attack (much less a fire!)?

All-in-all, a great read. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in knowing a portion of what took place on September 11, 2012.

With that being said, my next review will be on 13 Hours... a follow-up book written by the surviving members of the force that day. I am only 1/3 into it, and the details they provide, are clearing up a lot of blank spots left in this book. DEFINITELY READ THIS BOOK BEFORE GETTING INTO 13 HOURS!!!

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I'd be all in for anyone looking for a user review on a movie. But books, ehhhhhh.

I actually prefer Audio Books. Let someone else read it to me! Audible is great for this... I can listen to it at work, in my vehicle, etc. Of course I would prefer to watch it on the screen (who wouldn't?), but since they'll never make movies from every book out there... I do what I can. Also, the books don't include the "Hollywood'd up" artistic licensing like the movies do (Well, not all of them).

I will be reviewing movies also as I said above.

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    I actually prefer Audio Books. Let someone else read it to me! Audible is great for this... I can listen to it at work, in my vehicle, etc. Of course I would prefer to watch it on the screen (who wouldn't?), but since they'll never make movies from every book out there... I do what I can. Also, the books don't include the "Hollywood'd up" artistic licensing like the movies do (Well, not all of them).

Never tried audio books, may have to give that a shot.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I may get into Audio Books. I drive 35 miles one way to work.

In the a.m. I listen to Sermons, in the p.m. .... I pretty much just take a nap until I get home .... I do not carpool .... :eek3:

I've got this book on the night stand for now;

gracian-worldly-wisdom.jpg

It's filled with Nuggets of Manly Wisdom.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    9781455582273_500X500.jpg

13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi
    Written by: Mitchell Zuckoff, Annex Security Team

"The harrowing, true account from the brave men on the ground who fought back during the Battle of Benghazi.

13 Hours presents, for the first time ever, the true account of the events of September 11, 2012, when terrorists attacked the US State Department Special Mission Compound and a nearby CIA station called the Annex in Benghazi, Libya. A team of six American security operators fought to repel the attackers and protect the Americans stationed there. Those men went beyond the call of duty, performing extraordinary acts of courage and heroism, to avert tragedy on a much larger scale. This is their personal account, never before told, of what happened during the 13 hours of that now-infamous attack.

13 Hours sets the record straight on what happened during a night that has been shrouded in mystery and controversy. Written by New York Times best-selling author Mitchell Zuckoff, this riveting book takes listeners into the action-packed story of heroes who laid their lives on the line for one another, for their countrymen, and for their country.

13 Hours is a stunning, eye-opening, and intense book - but most importantly, it is the truth. The story of what happened to these men - and what they accomplished - is unforgettable." - Mitchell Zuckoff

This book kept me interested from the very beginning when it reaches back into history to relate previous incidents in Benghazi as well as historical battles and background on how Benghazi came to be. As opposed to Benghazi under fire, this book is told from the standpoint of the CIA Annex security team that was told to "Stand Down" that fateful day on September 11, 2012.

The details of the accounts really bring more of the events into perspective and a lot more than what you could ever hope to hear about on the evening news. It also gives a contrasting view of the "Stand Down" order and why/how it was given. To me, the responsibility for the delay in responding should have fallen on the CIA station chief that was dead set on enlisting the help of the 17 February Militia to assist in the attack on the embassy in a feeble attempt to keep the "Secret" CIA Annex a secret by not sending this quick reaction force to assist.

It also sheds light on the last hours of Navy SEAL Tyrone "Ty" Snowden Woods and Navy SEAL Glen "Bub" Anthony Dohrety and how they came together on that fateful evening/morning. In fact, Glen apparently never fired a shot and was killed with Tyrone when a mortar struck the rooftop position they were on. Glen had climbed up to visit with Tyrone after arriving from Tripoli with a rescue team that included two Delta Force Operators (who did not participate in the battle, but received awards for heroism). It details how Kris "Tonto" Paronto, Mark "Oz" Geist and John "Tig" Tiegan (all part of the original response team), fought off wave after wave of attackers and the troubles each of them faced as they took the fight to the attackers.

Explanations of how they heard rumors that it was an attack that was ignited by a Youtube video, and how the operators knew that wasn't the case. How they searched for Stevens to the point of nearly dying themselves from Smoke inhalation, toxic gasses, etc.

It tells how following the initial assault on the Embassy grounds, most of the fighting then took place at the CIA Compound about a mile away. That is was an organized military style attack, not a bunch of demonstrators, that quickly dialed in and landed three perfectly placed mortars on one rooftop during the battle... again, not an easy task for goat herders.

This book puts you right next to these heroes and the battles they fought with the attackers, their station chief, the flames in the Embassy building and better judgement. I would STRONGLY recommend this book for anyone wanting to know what REALLY happened in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012.

My next review will be "Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan"

Last edited:

eggplant33

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Has anyone here read American Spartan? The excerpts I've read have been just ridiculous, and I'm wondering if the rest follows suit. Had to roll my eyes when it maligns the vz 58 because it's a "plastic gun".....

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Or a health thread.

You know, something that could keep people alive.

I found its more beneficial/practical/relevant/welcome to discuss healthy stuff on healthy forums. Bayou Shooter "fitness" is loading up their 50lb bug out bag with 5 cans of ammo knowing said person can't jog to their mailbox without getting out of breath, do a single valid pullup, or bench 1/2 of their body weight.

The following thread would obviously be about how the gubmint is putting fat inducing hormones into flu shots to weaken its citizens for the hostile takeover/ebola hurricane/whatever.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

good luck with the thread. I love audible too, but my ADD kills it at work. For road trips, its awesome.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    LEVEL ZERO HEROES

19286583.jpg

A great account of operations done by 82nd Airborne Special Forces in Afghanistan. It details what happens and how they deal with the situation dealt to them following a missed supply drop that lands in a body of water.

This book kept me interested, though it did have some dull spots where it left you wanting to just get to the next chapter to find out what happened. I would recommend the book, but only to those who would enjoy the details of the events along with the monotony of military life and politics. This book didn't really stay with me when it was all said and done. Remembering portions of it proved difficult after the read was complete. I'm not sure if it was just the way the author wrote it or what... overall though, I liked the book.

Next review... "HOUSE TO HOUSE".

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    HOUSE TO HOUSE

6a00e55016b57c88330134874f8fb5970c-pi

This book was incredible. It captured the real military "hurry up and wait" in the beginning, and then once the action started, you can't turn it off. It's a combat narrative that is written by SSGT David Bellavia... a true hands-on account of the battle of Fallujah and how this Army Infantry Platoon was performing an 11 day house to house search to drive Enemy Forces out of the city. There are times where you feel that the author isn't going to make it out of the situation, then you remember, Wait, he wrote the book! It's gripping!!! This guy killed FIVE insurgents in what came down to hand to hand combat, along with countless others throughout the city during the push that left them surrounded and far ahead of all other forces entering the area.

From entire houses rigged to explode when entered, to straight up ambushes and assaults by the enemy. SSGT Bellavia earned The Bronze Star, The Silver Star and the Conspicuous Service Cross (New York State's highest military honor).

This book will keep you glued to it until the last page is turned. Truly a great book and I will read it again!

Next review...

Honor and Betrayal

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    51pRipVYYjL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm currently working on Violence of Action: The Untold Stories of the 75th Ranger Regiment in the War on Terror. It's basically a collection of pretty well-written short stories of events that occurred within the 75th, chronicling their history in the GWOT. It's an outstanding book, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about what some of our most professional warriors have been doing overseas for the past 13 years.

Next review... "HOUSE TO HOUSE".

I read that a few years ago. I thought it was fantastic!

Top Bottom