Movie or Book thread?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Honor and Betrayal

9780306823084_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

This is the story of the three Navy SEALs that were prosecuted for the alleged mistreatment of the "Butcher of Fallujah". This waste of human skin, responsible for the killing and mutilation of four Blackwater security agents and then hanging two of them from the bridge crossing the Euphrates river, claimed to authorities that he was mistreated while in the custody of the U.S. Military.

Now, due to the series of "mistreatment" propaganda by the news media at that time, the U.S. Military took the ball and ran with it trying to destroy the lives and careers of these decorated special operators to make an example of them without even knowing the facts and trusting the testimony of a known terrorist and murderer over their own people. Well, that's not 100% true... a low-level E-4 Master at Arms who concocted his entire version of the story in a lame attempt to save his own career was also involved.

Now, in the AL QAEDA FIELD OPERATIONS MANUAL, it clearly states that someone who is captured by the Americans should always and every time, complain of mistreatment and abuse as a priority. This books goes into a step by step account of the capture, alleged mistreatment and trial of the three SEALs... along with how the military brass (and higher) had these guys in their cross-hairs the entire time and were hell-bent on putting them away for a good long time.

In true U.S. Navy SEAL fashion, these guys never gave up... they never gave in... and they fought tooth and nail until the very end. They never relented under HEAVY HOURLY, DAILY, questioning and badgering that, at time, made them question their own decisions. They fought every day to return to the same military and government that turned their back on them. Now, did it sour them for their futures in Special Operations? Of course! How could they perform their jobs effectively when every time they would take on a mission, they had the thoughts of possible prosecution for what they're doing in the back of their minds? It would and could hinder their split second decision making process and cost their lives or the lives of their brothers (Even though in reality, they were implicitly innocent!).

What a moral hit to the team members as well. Every member of the military in fact.

This was a GREAT read. I referred it to an attorney friend of mine who I know would positively enjoy the courtroom action. It will make you take a second look at the chain of command though and ask yourself... "Why bother?". Again, here were Highly decorated Special Operators that the military had invested millions of dollars in to train and equip... the best of the best... trained over and over again to follow orders and not lie to their superiors (or each other) just as a way of life to promote and maintain trust in the teams, being systematically attacked by their OWN government in an effort to make and example and destroy them on the word of an E-4 Master at Arms and a Terrorist.

Next Review...

NO TRUE GLORY: A frontline account of the Battle for Fallujah.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Finished the "Going Home" books by A. American a few weeks ago (excellent prepper/get home scenario story), and actually picked up Honor and Betrayal at a friends recommendation. I'm 3/4 through and my opinion thus far mirrors yours exactly.

Last edited:

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    I'm just now finishing "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole(I could kick myself for taking this long), and it is Hilarious! Also,anyone wanting to get into Audiobooks, a great source is your Public Library. My Mom has "read" quite a few that way.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    NO TRUE GLORY: A frontline account of the Battle for Fallujah

notrueglory.jpg

To put it simply, one of the most riveting accounts of the house-to-house clearing of Fallujah and the conditions, firefights, danger, death and destruction that those troops had to endure. This book will change the way you look at "war". To visualize it, it's like the city fighting in "Blackhawk Down", but tighter city structures, houses wired to explode when entered, random insurgents using wounded solders as bait to draw others in and slaughter them, just every form of hell in battle you could imagine crammed into EVERY CITY BLOCK.

This book definitely doesn't glorify war or battle. It is straight forward and definitely drives the point home... They do it for the guys next to them.

Next Review...

ROBERTS RIDGE

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Roberts Ridge

17366121.jpg

A detailed account of the battle of Robert's Ridge, or as some may know it Takur Ghar. A Navy SEAL team that ran into some unfortunate "delays" was forced to attempt an insertion at the peak of Takur Ghar, Afghanistan.

During the initial insertion attempt, the MH-47 came under intense fire (even though the area had been scouted by an AC-130 and been cleared "enemy free") causing it to make an aborted landing. During the abort, Navy SEAL Neil C. Roberts was ejected from the craft.

Several attempts were made to rescue Petty Officer Roberts, which lead to additional aircraft being damaged or destroyed. It also lead to a number of Navy SEALs and U.S. Army personnel being wounded in the process.

This book takes you from the planning stages of the insertion, through the rescue attempts and back to their FOB. It tells the story from a number of perspectives... to include the MH-47 pilot on the initial insertion attempt, the Navy SEALs involved, Air Force Personnel (PJs & CCT) and several U.S. Army Operators.

In the end, keeping with the United States Military's dedication to leaving no man behind no matter the cost.

An excellent book that gets you involved and thinking about "What will happen next??" and "How much more can these guys take???"

Next Review...

Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    A good one I recently read:

13154904.jpg

The Last Full Measure: Death in Battle Through the Ages

A couple that are at the top of my all-time military list:

1231409.jpg

Carlos Hathcock "Whitefeather"

13795726708.jpg

Sled Driver (if you can find it!!!)

Here's a good excerpt from Sled Driver:

We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied:

November Charlie 175, I'm showing you at ninety knots on the ground.

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the "Houston Center voice." I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country's space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that… and that they basically did. And it didn't matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

Just moments after the Cessna's inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his groundspeed.

Ah, Twin Beach.
    I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.

Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren.

Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios.

Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check

Before Center could reply, I'm thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol' Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He's the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet.

And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion:

Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done – in mere seconds we'll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now.

I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn. Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet.

Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke:

Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?

There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request.

Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice:

Ah, Center, much thanks,
    We're showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A. came back with,

Roger that Aspen,
    Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours.

You boys have a good one.

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day's work.

We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast. For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.

from http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129250

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    SUA SPONTE: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger

51oFHmotG5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If you want to know what it takes to become one of the roughly 2,000 rangers on active duty at any given time, this book is for you! It will take you through the process from the eyes of Dick Couch (SEAL - VietNam era UDT) as he was given exclusive access to shadow their training. With so much spotlight on the Navy SEALs lately, it's easy to lose sight of the other Special Operations guys out there that put it on the line every day.

Now, I'm not saying Ranger school in ANY WAY matches up to BUD/s training... but it's no cakewalk by any means. In fact, team members from every branch attend ranger school and several other Army training schools during their training and careers.

Definitely a good read and I would recommend it.

Next Review:

Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal

518i5cthi6L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Overall a great read. It is written and the audio version is actually read by Chuck Pfarrer (SEAL). It covers the Navy SEALs from infancy in WWII to today. It takes you through the birth and forming of todays teams and their way of operating. It details missions, as well as a portion of the personal life of the author and how a cowboy hot shot Navy SEAL lived like a rock-star.

It's definitely a motivating book and inspires the reader to adopt a "never give up" attitude. Chuck Pfarrer is a Navy SEAL to the core and lives his life outside of the Navy in much the same way. A little heavier and older, he battles an hidden enemy, cancer, with the same ferocity that he battled the enemy's of the United States. Chuck Pfarrer is a true American, Hero and Warrior. Always forward and never out of the fight.

Chucks works also include...

Fiction
    Killing Che (2007)
    Phillip Nolan (2015)

Non-fiction
    Warrior Soul, The Memoir of a Navy SEAL (2004)
    SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden (2011)

Graphic novels
    Virus 1, 2, 3, 4 (1996)
    The Thing from Another World (1992)

Screenplays
    Navy SEALs
    Darkman
    Hard Target
    Virus
    The Jackal
    Red Planet
    Barb Wire

Uncredited Screenplays
    Arlington Road
    The Green Hornet
    Point of Impact
    Second Nature

Interactive motion pictures
    Flash Traffic (1992)
    Silent Steel (1994)

Poetry
    Saint Brendan’s Boat (2007)

Highly recommended.

Next Review: Eyes On Target: Inside stories from the brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Eyes On Target: Inside stories from the brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs
    51SYLK%2B0C0L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This book was a perfect addition to the previous books I've reviewed. It was almost like it tied all the other books together, telling even more details about the other books that were "left out" for various reasons. For instance, in Honor and Betrayal, it wasn't mentioned that the SEALs that were accused of wrong-doing had a Platoon leader that was political and gave them nothing but trouble in planning and preparing for the mission... putting up road blocks with requests and equipment delays, etc. Then the same "leader" is the one that spearheaded the charges brought up against them.

Or in 13 Hours, some intricate details surrounding Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty and some details of the battle as well as details related to the "delay" in response. All mentioned in this book.

It even makes mention of details left out of the missions discussed in "Warrior Soul" and Takur Ghar (Robert's Ridge) that conflict slightly.

All in all a great book if you've read the others above with regards to Navy SEALs. I actually am anticipating reading it again to catch things I may not have on the first go-around.

In the same manor, there are some small details that are incorrect... such as calling an AC-130 Spectre by the wrong name, or things like that (Audio book, may be the reader messed up).

HIGHLY recommended.

Next Review: The Finishing School

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Streamed the movie "Fury" last night. I thought it was a good movie. Acting is top notch and action is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom