Moving Back to Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FXDWG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2015
    Covington, LA
    Greetings all!

As so many Louisianians of my generation did, I had to move for career reasons. But am retiring and coming home to southeast Louisiana soon. Wanted to check out the shooting climate in anticipation, so I was bothering someone on another forum for info on ranges. He politely referred to your site.

Long time shooter - grew up shooting in Lafitte/Barataria. Actually shot on the LSU Rifle Team briefly many years ago - before guns and schools became a bad mix...

Was a YHEC coach, LDWF Range officer and Hunter Safety Instructor through the Woodworth Range in CenLA. Bud Carpenter was a great instructor and organizer.

NRA Life member.

NMLRA (National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) annual member and Instructor

Shot muzzleloaders with the Bayou Muzzleloaders up there.

Lifetime licensed hunter in LA and MS. (Lived both places for significant periods of time, so this is not as odd as some might expect.) Got spoiled when living in South Carolina because their deer season is half of the year. It will be hard to get used to planning around the few gun dates offered in Louisiana. Are there really so few deer or so many hunters???

Like shooting anything from a flintlock to a Glock, but truly love muzzleloaders best. Most years, the flintlocks do all of the hunting, but I generally have my modern arms at hand.

I am also an LE F/A instructor and range officer. (mine is non-POST)

I see the discussion of hunting hogs at the Pearl River WLMA and I really enjoyed doing this years ago. Killed my first one with a 16 ga pump shotgun in the Honey Island Swamp at 11. We shifted over to PRWLMA for later years and took hogs and deer. Used a Ruger .44 magnum carbine or a traditional muzzleloader mostly. The Ruger would stop them pretty well in the palmettos.

I figure this is enough to let you know who just joined your group.

FXDWG

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Well in the NOLA area, we have bayou dragon, gretna gun works, shooters club, soon to be Jefferson gun, St. Bernard indoor, and a little ways away is honey island. So those are your options around here

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Welcome back.

From the Baton Rouge area you have the following competitions within an hours drive...
    At Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club 600yd range
    - NRA F Class Rifle and Mid Range Prone
    - NRA High Power
    - Field Precision Rifle (Non sanctioned. Think F Class with suppressors and muzzle brakes legal.)
    - NRA Bullseye Pistol
    - NRA Smallbore Prone

At Hunters Run Gun Club
    - Trap
    - Skeet
    - Sporting Clays

At Southern Shooting Center
    - USPSA Practical Pistol

At Ascension Parish Sheriffs Range
    - USPSA Practical Pistol
    - NRA High Power

At Amite Parish Sheriffs Range
    - USPSA Practical Pistol

I know I'm missing several other events. I'm aware of a rimfire silhouette group locally. Believe there's some traction with an IDPA group. Oh yeah nearly forgot about the Civil War re-enactors courtesy of the Honorable Judge Angelo J. Piazza, III who by the way is the only licensed black powder dealer in the state. http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

You literally can be at a shooting event every weekend and not wear out your vehicle doing it.

FXDWG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2015
    Covington, LA
    Thanks - will be good to get back.

As to our shooting spot in Barataria, let's just say it ain't there no more. The old building which dated back to the 1700s got washed away and the little berm is also gone. Katrina was quite unkind...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom