Moving in new home before occ. permit??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    My wife and I just finished building a house, with the exception of the handrails on the front porch steps. I'm building my own, but it will be a few weeks before they're ready. If we move in, then call in my final occupancy inspection when they're done and they see all of our stuff inside, what could happen?? This is in ascension parish and they've been very laid back through out the whole process. I've even heard about people not even calling in anymore inspections after they have electric and water with no problems. Any thoughts from people who actually know about this stuff?

Thanks
    Rod

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My parents had this issue as well. We couldn't put anything in the fridge or dishes in the dishwasher, bathroom supplies in the bathroom etc.

It was definitely iffy. From what they told me, I would advise against it.

This was in Jefferson Parish.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Depends on the location. I built a house in Zachary about 25 years ago. Got the slab poured, roof on and closed in, and moved in. Lived in it for a year while I finished it out. Don't ask, don't tell. No inspector ever mentioned it, nor did my lender. Maybe I was just lucky.

MyBabyDaddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    My parents had this issue as well. We couldn't put anything in the fridge or dishes in the dishwasher, bathroom supplies in the bathroom etc.

It was definitely iffy. From what they told me, I would advise against it.

This was in Jefferson Parish.

I'll be building in Jeff. Parish soon, I'll have to remember that.

Were the inspectors hard to deal with overall?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'll be building in Jeff. Parish soon, I'll have to remember that.

Were the inspectors hard to deal with overall?

I can't recall to be honest. I live in Baton Rouge and they live in JP. I've been up here for 6 years and only go home for holidays and mini vacations so I wasn't really around for the building process. I can ask though when I talk to them next.

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Talk to the permit office. They may want to do a temporary Certificate of Occupancy and then do the final when you are done. I recommend against not getting anymore inspections. When you go to sell the house, it is advisable to have everything clear. Not many people will check, but if someone does, it would be a hassle to get them cleared later.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Also your homeowners insurance may not be in force as builder's risk carries during construction. Final inspections and oc are also turned in to the courthouse where mortgages are filed. This is found during the title search before the closing takes place.

Just food for thought. YMMV. Good Luck

Last edited:
    Top Bottom