Moving to Louisiana question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RovingDisco

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Rocket City, Alabama
    My fiance and I have been talking about possibly moving to New Orleans so she can pursue a graduate degree. I realized I have a few NFA items in a trust that has been notarized here in Alabama. What sort of issues would I have changing states?

We have also talked about keeping our residency in Alabama during this temporary time.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I'd say keep your residency.
    Auto insurance will skyrocket if you change your address to a New Orleans location.

As far as NFA stuff, just fill out a Form 5320.20 which can be found here:
    https://www.atf.gov/file/4781/download

Fairly straightforward.
    Not required for suppressors but I do one anyway just to be on the safe side.
    It'll take them a while to get it back to you approved so do it as far in advance as you can.

Also look here for further insight:
    http://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-need-to-do-regarding-my-nfa-trust-when-i-move/

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    By the way, I believe there is a law requiring you to change your driver's license within a certain amount of time of moving here but I knew several folks at Tulane Med School who didn't do this and said they were fine.
    Perhaps a law enforcement officer would care to comment since I do not know the rule.
    Would hate you to get in trouble.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    I'll add to what he said. I wouldn't change residency. You'd have to start buying inspection stickers (brake tags for NOLA folks) for your car. If you only plan on being here a short time, then it'll just be a hassle for you to change... How far is cop on a traffic stop going to go to prove you've lived here for more than 6 months? Not very far.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Plus if you have a CCW you will have to get one here and it is not! $25.00 and a background check, I THINK! as a student you don't have to change your residency
    Wingate

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    If you are indeed a student, and maintain your other residence and return periodically, then it is OK to keep your driver's license etc as is. However, if you work here for greater than 3 months, you may get a knock on the door or a letter indicating you must change the residency. Its all about taxes. Louisiana wants their state income tax for money earned here. This happened to several of my prior coworkers.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you are indeed a student, and maintain your other residence and return periodically, then it is OK to keep your driver's license etc as is.

I think this is right, but if your fiancée is a student and you are not, I think you have to have your license changed. I could be completely wrong though. Either way I think it's stupid.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    You need to consider where you will be living while you are here. Might be a good idea to leave your toys at home with whoever is on your trust or llc. Not sure how u are set up.

RovingDisco

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Rocket City, Alabama
    And we will be married when moving down there. Probably going to keep the residency because it is easier overall. I actually lived in Louisiana a few years back as a student and maintained my Alabama residency during that time but I wasn't married then.

I have considered keeping most of my toys with someone on my trust also. I just would like to have my suppressor and .300 set up with me in case I get to go hog hunting.

Last edited:

wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    Your state income tax are not determine by your residency. So regardless, what's your residency, you will have to pay tax to Louisiana based on the income you earned in Louisiana unless the two states has a reciprocal agreement. Alabama and Louisiana do not have a reciprocal agreement. It basically where you get 1099 or w2 is where you pay tax.

Regarding driver license, you do not need to change your driver license if you are full-time student and maintain a permanent address in another state. If you are working, you have to prove you have an end date and maintain a permanent address in another state.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    There are a lot of people who are residents of two states (think snowbirds). There are also a lot of folks who live in one state and work in another. In these cases, as long as you pay income taxes in the state you earn the money, you should be OK. If you can say you return to AL frequently and maintain a residence there, the DMV would have a hard time forcing you to get LA tags and a LA drivers license.

BATF also allows you to purchase firearms in both states as a resident if you are a dual resident. If you keep your AL DL, you would have to show housing and power bills in your name to prove residency in LA. Not all FFLs know this, however, so expect some resistance.

Don't know about NFA rules, but I'd advise checking the ATF rules rather than relying on cyber jockeys. Same advice for what I stated above. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom