Moving to Texas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucktown_Rat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    My job will transfer me to Texas in a few months. I currently own a couple of handguns and a couple of rifles. Can I legally bring these firearms with me or should I sell them here in Louisiana before the move? Thanks.

Edit: Can I carry my LA CCW - which expires in 2017 - with my new TX driver's license after the move?

Last edited:

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    You can bring all the firearms you want to with you to Texas. If your move will be permanent, look into the LA regulations about converting your concealed carry license to a non-resident license. That way you'll be covered for concealed carry while you get your Texas CHL. If that doesn't work, you can still carry on your property and in your vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bucktown_Rat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    You can bring all the firearms you want to with you to Texas. If your move will be permanent, look into the LA regulations about converting your concealed carry license to a non-resident license. That way you'll be covered for concealed carry while you get your Texas CHL. If that doesn't work, you can still carry on your property and in your vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That's another angle I need to look at, thanks for the tip. The move will be permanent so I'll have to burn the midnight oil to do research on TX firearms laws! Where do I begin?

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I moved to Texas 2 years ago and was told by a fellow permit holder that since Texas honors my La. CCP I'm good to go and to just continue renewing in La.

But let me double check that and get back to you.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I thought my CO ccw license was going to be good when I moved back to LA because of reciprocity, I was wrong. It expired the day I got my LA drivers license. I would check into the rules carefully.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I moved to Texas 2 years ago and was told by a fellow permit holder that since Texas honors my La. CCP I'm good to go and to just continue renewing in La.

But let me double check that and get back to you.

As far as I know (not much) La doesn't have a non resident permit. So once you get a TX DL your La one is no longer valid

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    OK here is the answer I recieved from TxDPS:

There is not a process to transfer an out-of-state concealed handgun license to Texas. In order to apply for a Texas Concealed Handgun License you will need to make a new application online and take a concealed handgun course from a Texas instructor in the state of Texas. We are unable to recognize any out-of-state training.

So to answer our questions, your La. CCP is null and void once you get your Tx residency. Yes you can bring your guns because you will be changing residence, just don't carry them around until you get your new CCP.

I'm going to sign up for a class ASAP.

Bucktown_Rat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    OK here is the answer I recieved from TxDPS:

There is not a process to transfer an out-of-state concealed handgun license to Texas. In order to apply for a Texas Concealed Handgun License you will need to make a new application online and take a concealed handgun course from a Texas instructor in the state of Texas. We are unable to recognize any out-of-state training.

So to answer our questions, your La. CCP is null and void once you get your Tx residency. Yes you can bring your guns because you will be changing residence, just don't carry them around until you get your new CCP.

I'm going to sign up for a class ASAP.

Thanks for your research my friend. I just hope the TX CCP processing time is not too bad. It's weird not being able to CC after all these years !!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom