Multi-Caliber Can

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I've used SilencerCo's HYBRID... I have to say it is incredible. Super quiet and apparently no one can keep them in stock. I can't speak to a whole lot of Pros and Cons... I shot a buddies Scorpion with one on it. Pro: It was a bat fart... Con: Its Expensive.

Last edited:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    http://www.ncsilencer.com/multi-caliber-silencers.html

Yes, buying one silencer and using it across several guns of similar or sub-caliber makes sense. It's a good idea, but it's not without its downsides. Why would you want to buy a silencer that's rated for a larger or more powerful than your host gun? Like, why would you want to buy a .45 pistol silencer, if all you happen to own are 9mm pistols? Here are two reasons why you might consider doing just that:

1. Cost. It's cheaper in the long run. Your .45 silencer is essentially several silencers in one. It can handle .45ACP (obviously), 40S&W, 9mm, .380ACP, .38SP, .300BLK subsonic and yes, even .22LR or .22 Mag if you so desire. I don't recommend shooting .22LR through center-fire pistol silencers for other reasons which I'll discuss later, but it's entirely possible to do it, and it actually works ok. If you ever buy a .40 or a .45 pistol, you'll be set if you already own the .45 silencer. When swapping pistol suppressors, all you need to do is change out the piston to match the gun's barrel threads. Buying multiple pistons is much cheaper than buying multiple silencers.

2. Performance. Most sub-caliber rounds shot through larger-caliber silencers are almost as quiet as the smaller round being shot through a dedicated sub-caliber silencer. For example, a 147gr 9mm round shot through an Octane 45 HD will be very close in sound signature to the same 147gr 9mm being shot through an Octane 9 HD. The dB may meter a little higher when the 9mm is shot through the 45 silencer, and the sound may not be as consistent shot-to-shot, but in real life, it's hard to tell the difference. In fact, sometimes a 9mm through a .45 silencer has a more "pleasing" sound. Many times, it has a deeper tone and you might perceive it as being quieter.

Using large-for-caliber rifle silencers on sub-caliber rifles has similar qualities. For example, you can buy a .30 cal silencer and use it on your 5.56 AR-15 no problem. And honestly, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in sound. I've heard several .30 cal silencers on 5.56/.223 rifles that sound better than dedicated 5.56 cans. Part of the reason for this is that .30 cal silencers are bigger and therefore have more interior volume. More interior volume means there is more room for the gasses to expand and cool off. The end result sometimes results in better performance than a dedicated 5.56 silencer on your AR.

What are some of the downsides to using larger caliber silencers on sub-caliber guns? Here are a couple:

1. Size. The 45Osprey, for example, is larger than the 9Osprey. It's longer and heavier. Shooting the 45Osprey on your Glock 26 will work but your range buddies might laugh at you when they see you pull it out. Think a dwarf Australian Pygmy wearing Shaquille O'Neal's shoes.

2. Cost. Generally, the larger or higher the caliber the silencer is rated for, the more expensive it is. If you absolutely know that you will never ever own a .308 rifle... that you will always stick with your 5.56 AR-15, there is no reason to buy a .30 caliber silencer. Save your money and get a smaller and lighter dedicated 5.56 silencer.

A few words about .22LR silencers. Yes, with the right combination of adapters, pistons, mounts, etc. you can shoot just about ANY silencer on a .22LR pistol or rifle. I do not generally recommend it though. Why? Two big reasons:

1. Size. .22LR silencers are usually much smaller than their center-fire pistol silencer or rifle silencer counterparts. Especially in diameter. When you screw on a .45 can or a 9mm can to your .22LR gun, you will completely block your sights and the silencer will just look huge. And for most .22LR pistols, the extra weight of the big silencer just won't feel right. It will be much too muzzle heavy.

2. Lead. All .22LR guns spew lots of molten lead out of the barrel. This crud will coat the inside of your silencer. Therefore it's a good idea to clean your .22LR silencer regularly. Most dedicated .22LR silencers are designed with this in mind. 9mm and .45 silencers are not. In fact, some center-fire pistol silencers are sealed, meaning that they are not user-serviceable. A sealed silencer is manageable when shooting center-fire rounds, but with .22LR, I like to take my cans apart to clean them. Some people shoot .22LR through their nice expensive 5.56 silencer too. (Almost all center-fire rifle silencers are sealed). Yes, it's the same diameter projectile and the sound reduction performance will be great... but think about the lead building up on the inside of your $1,000 rifle silencer. You'll never really get all of that crud out, no matter how you try to clean it or soak it. It just doesn't make sense to shoot .22LR through anything other than a dedicated .22LR silencer in my opinion.

This is the tip of the iceberg about this topic, but hopefully you'll find this info helpful. If you have specific questions,contact us, and we will be happy to answer them. We'll give you good silencer advice and help you get into the silencer game with little to no effort on your part. That's what we're here for.

*********************** just copied and pasted from source cited , but seems very credible to me**********************************

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I bought a Octane45 a Saker 7.62 and a spectre II for 22lr.

I have shot 9mm and 45 through the Octane and to me it sounds **** eating grin great for both.

working on shooting the Saker but I have 6.8 and 5.56 rifles so that is why I went 7.62 size.

I agree with the reasons for the 22 can and they are much lighter and also **** eating grin producing. my gsg 22lr is so quiet it is funny even with hyper sonic rounds. I love hearing the thwack of the bullet hitting what I am aiming at.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pecemkr summed it up pretty good. The only thing I would say is don't plan on just getting one. Everyone I know has ended up buying multiple silencers once they get that first one.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Has anyone actually had their hands on a Griffin Optimus? Seems like a novel approach to the problem of one can doing it all at a reasonable price point. Lots of parts to fool with though.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you plan on doing an SBR then you will want to look at cans that are rated for short barrel lengths. From SiCo the Saker fits that bill.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Not me personally. My main criteria was Company reputation and I did want to keep them all from that same company. Silencer Co fit the bill and all of the ones I wanted were in stock when I was shopping.

Be aware that all companies list minimum barrel lengths for their suppressors so you will want to take that into consideration when you purchase as you stated you wanted to do an SBR.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I have a Wilson Whisper for my 458 SOCOM currently in suppressor jail. I plan to shoot mostly 458 through it.
    But I will also use it on a .223, with an adapter on a .22, and at some point a .308.
    I realize a dedicated caliber can would be quieter for the smaller calibers, but not by much.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom