Multiple carry positions for IWB?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Ok, in reading the "? For bigger guys" thread, this got me wondering. For those of you that have more than one carry weapon and will change them out, do you have multiple carry locations? I don't mean pocket to IWB to OWB, I'm talking multiple IWB locations depending on the weapon. As an example, I have an SR40C I plan to carry AIWB at say 2:00 in a DOS Kydex from Bravo Concealment, but I'm also looking at a Supertuck / King Tuck for my G19 and plan to wear that at 4:00 or so. I was just wondering if anyone else has multiple carry locations for IWB versus always having the same location for all of your CCW rotation.

What do the experienced carriers have to say. Does multiple carry spots violate a cardinal rule of IWB carry?

BMN

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Lots of people carry different guns in different positions, but I would stick with the same gun in the same place every time, and train that way. It seems foolish to have to try and remember whether you're carrying your weekend gun, winter gun, or your bbq'ing gun if you truly need it one day.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Lots of people carry different guns in different positions, but I would stick with the same gun in the same place every time, and train that way. It seems foolish to have to try and remember whether you're carrying your weekend gun, winter gun, or your bbq'ing gun if you truly need it one day.

Well said.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I usually carry at the 4 oclock position IWB but sometimes will tuck it AIWB Mexican Style when I am running out for something quick. I am 100% certain I won't reach for the wrong spot in an emergency when I have a 3 pound weight tucked in the front of my pants.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I agree with the sentiment about simplifying position. Make it the same every day and what not.

It's not entirely practical however, depending on dress. Some of us are allowed (or at least, not forbidden) to carry in the work place and the attire worn at work can be very different than the attire worn elsewhere - church, barbecues, lawncare, jogging/gym, frisbee in the park, long drives or delivery routes.

I have two positions that cover it all.

IWB at 2oclock, with a tuckable holster and shirt tucked in or not tucked in. This covers all situations with closed-front garments from tshirts and polos to button-down shirts regardless of necktie.

IWB at 4oclock with a the shirt tucked inside the holster - holster exposed, and an open-front garment atop it. This covers less informal days where I'm wearing a sports coat, jacket, etc.

When I belt-up in the morning and put on the holster, I simply practice the draw a few times and remain aware of firearm location.

It's the best I can do. My main goal is reducing the number of garments I have to clear to access the gun. I only have two hands, and if I still wore it at 2oclock, with the shirt tucked into the holster like in the first situation, and put a jacket over that, it'd be too much to efficiently and reliably access the weapon. Have to do the best I can with what I'm dealing with.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I usually carry at the 4 oclock position IWB but sometimes will tuck it AIWB Mexican Style when I am running out for something quick. I am 100% certain I won't reach for the wrong spot in an emergency when I have a 3 pound weight tucked in the front of my pants.

This is what I'm thinking. Just like I won't reach for my 4:00 when I'm pocket carrying. I am always aware of where everything on me is. My keys, wallet, etc. I can't imagine not realizing where my weapon is located if I'm in an emergency.

But, just because I can't imagine it doesn't mean it's not true, hence me asking the question here.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    95% of the time I go IWB with either my Glock G26, G19 or G30sf at around 3:00 - 3:30. I carry a Taurus 357 in a DeSantis ankle holster or a smaller 380 in a belly band or SmartCarry. Belly band, SmartCarry, ankle rig or Remora holster depending on pants. Belt -- IWB. Elastic waist short pants -- belly band or SmartCarry. Elastic waist long pants -- SC, BB or ankle.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I agree with the sentiment about simplifying position. Make it the same every day and what not.

It's not entirely practical however, depending on dress. Some of us are allowed (or at least, not forbidden) to carry in the work place and the attire worn at work can be very different than the attire worn elsewhere - church, barbecues, lawncare, jogging/gym, frisbee in the park, long drives or delivery routes.

I have two positions that cover it all.

IWB at 2oclock, with a tuckable holster and shirt tucked in or not tucked in. This covers all situations with closed-front garments from tshirts and polos to button-down shirts regardless of necktie.

IWB at 4oclock with a the shirt tucked inside the holster - holster exposed, and an open-front garment atop it. This covers less informal days where I'm wearing a sports coat, jacket, etc.

When I belt-up in the morning and put on the holster, I simply practice the draw a few times and remain aware of firearm location.

It's the best I can do. My main goal is reducing the number of garments I have to clear to access the gun. I only have two hands, and if I still wore it at 2oclock, with the shirt tucked into the holster like in the first situation, and put a jacket over that, it'd be too much to efficiently and reliably access the weapon. Have to do the best I can with what I'm dealing with.

I have to wear a button up tucked in majority of my work week. Fridays are polo style but always tucked in regardless. What holster do you use when have shirt tucked in? I'm at 4 months waiting on CCP and hoping soon it shall come and I'm ready to get my IWB holster. I have heard crossbreed with "J" or "V" clips are a great choice. I will be carrying either my 26 or 19 at around 4-4:30 and though not the most ideal situation with a shirt tucked in, it's better than nothing at all. Any advice would be appreciated

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Without a light on the gun, Comp Tac Minotaur. With a light, I have a Raven Concealment Phantom. The Phantom is back to RCS for adjustment because I think they botched it.

I use c-clips because they're the least visible and still bear the weight 100% on the belt directly. Over-the-belt clips that hook back under the belt are nice and handy because you can take the holster on-and-off as need. Like if you go to the USPS office you can just pop the holster off completely and never take the gun out of the holster. Can't do that with a holster with a belt threaded through c-clips without taking your belt out a bit.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Take a look at these: http://www.pistolwear.com/ It's like 3 variations of the SmartCarry, self-contained and self-supporting. But these units have a flap over the gun pocket with a little magnetic button to keep it closed. Much better (and recommended) for active wear.

Top Bottom