Muscadines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I grow some, golden and black. They do really well until the raccoons get to them, about two weeks before they really get ripe. I have 6 vines that were started from cuttings that are now about 3 years old. They are spaced about 8 feet apart and I've never had any problems from mold, etc.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I have for over 12 yrs. I have Ison, Sweet Jenny, Pam and Pineapple. I gave away almost 400 lbs last year. Deal with the coons / opossums by putting traps at the base of the trunks. I make most wine with mine but do make some jelly and I also just juice them.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Subdivision next to mine is lined on the main entrance with vines for about 200'. The first year I was here I noticed that no one there picks them and they just fall to the ground and rot. Last year, I picked about 10 gallons and made jelly. Sweet. No sense in me growing them when I have a supply right down the road.

goldshellback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2015
    Ascension Parrish
    Alrighty, I'll sound off on this'un...... My Dad 'cultivated' muscadines (gold and reds) for over 30 years. I found the muscadines growing wild while hunting and he had me pick several gallons for planting. He LOVED making his wine and Momma made jelly and jam from time to time as well. He grew 'em along or fence on either side of his property and picked 'em all summer and fall, freezing many of them until he had enough for a batch or two. He 'allocated' 84 feet on either fence for the vines and strung wire up along the fences to get the vines to grow along the fences evenly..... and he guarded then against the squirrels, rabbits, and coons with extreme prejudice. Those muscadine-fed rodents made for good gumbos and jambalayas too.

Top Bottom