muzzle loader hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doeslammer4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Pride aka Central, LA
    hey guys-- i just claimed my first victim with my Thompson Center Renegade .50 caliber this evening. it's my first i ever killed with a muzzle loader, and i'm still thrilled about it! i haven't bought the handi-rifle yet because i wanted to kill one with the ole' smoke pole, and i finally got the chance this evening. i think i'm going to like muzzle loader hunting for a long time now...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can tell you all, he waxed this one good....Those T/C Sabots are awesome....He put a textbook shot on her, and dropped her in her tracks....Good doe- It was like skinning a small calf- she was butterball fat!:hi5:

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Nice one man. The younger they are, the better they eat. Kind of like wild veal. I shot one that looked like a german shepherd hanging up once we got the skin off. Probably the best venison I've ever had.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Nice one man. The younger they are, the better they eat. Kind of like wild veal. I shot one that looked like a german shepherd hanging up once we got the skin off. Probably the best venison I've ever had.

I AGREE! Although those folks interested in "trophy deer" will disagree, if you enjoy actually "eating venison", a young deer cannot be beat. I know plenty of folks that only use their deer to make sausage, saying "that's all it's good for." I call BS on that. I'm not one of those folks.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    I love fried backstrap. Cut it into little medallions, batter it, and fry it. With an old deer it is rather chewy, but if you can get one that just lost its spots it's great.

On a side note: rather than sausage we used to make a lot of deer jerky.

doeslammer4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Pride aka Central, LA
    but seriously, i couldn't be any more proud of this one. my parents just finished grinding the last little bits of her for patty sausage. i'm going again in the morning to get me another one :)

Top Bottom