My 2¢ on alcohol and guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I carry 100% of the time.

I have a glass of wine almost every day. Sometimes two over a period of a couple hours.

I draw the line at about .04-05% BAC, I reckon.

To say that drinking and being armed 100% don't mix, and then to drink anyway, is to say that your life/ability to marshal the most effective self defense possible is less important than a measly couple of beers.

Wouldn't you feel silly to spend huge amounts of money and energy on weapons and training and then have possibly the one home invasion/carjacking of your whole life to happen when you were voluntarily disarmed over a glass of wine??

I never get drunk- I don't have any interest in it. Losing control of yourself is dumb in its own regard. I am purely speaking of a glass of wine or a beer (like I said earlier, .04-.05% BAC). My advice in regards to being drunk- don't do it, regardless of other topics.

Anyway, I am not going to neglect my family's safety by foregoing my ability to defend them over a glass of wine which barely impairs my reaction times. A well trained and practiced shooter is faster and more accurate at .05% BAC than 90% of the population stone sober.

The question boils down to- is your life worth a beer? That's what a zero tolerance for alcohol & guns rule means- making that decision if you drink.

I am not condemning those who have that mindset- I understand there are otherwise intelligent people who have shot themselves while drinking. To each his own. However, I submit that the proper solution is not to slingshot back to the opposite end of the spectrum- at least for most. For those who have a zero tolerance rule- I would think the best choice would always be to never drink. Some people may not be able to only have one glass of beer or two and then stop. If that is you- then, by all means, lock up your guns. They're not going to do you any good, anyway.

Each person must evaluate their own capabilities and weaknesses. I am not telling anyone else what to do. For me, though- life is for living, and a glass of Merlot with a fillet Marsala is one of life's high points, and I will neither forsake that nor my status as an armed citizen.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I drink for one reason and one reason only and that is to get drunk. I don't drink often though and never(once in a blue moon) on a work night. I try not to do anything half ass. I can be a sociable drinker out with the bosses but it is a given that I will be the last one or two to leave. If I felt paranoid that it seems you do I wouldn't drink either. I work hard for what I got and will protect it to the end. Having said that I made sacrifices to live in a safe area to where I don't feel that I have to be on guard all of the time. I have stated before that I don't have a CCW because I drink and am not going to be caught drunk with a firearm. Some of the best things in life are alcohol and guns and they go very well together. Those that off themselves while drunk and playing with guns do us all a favor and the same can be said about that or sober and cleaning accidents. If and when I go down to the French Quarter and my wife drives the pistol remains in the car and once back in it is in my possession. I'm sure some feel that if I off myself the world will be better off; which is fine because for the most part I feel to me my life is worth more than anyone else's here except maybe the women because they can be forced into becoming baby factories(by the federal government) if the nation needs to be repopulated.

It appears that a lot of gun owners have the same paranoia that a lot of drug addicts (tweakers)have and that is that someone is always out to get them and the government is number when it comes to trying to ruin their life.

When you least expect it, expect it.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have three beers most nights of the week over a period of 6pm - 1am. That's less than one beer every two hours. Well below .05 I would imagine. I stay armed.

babietuan323

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2007
    new orleans
    i'm asian, alcohol dehydrogenase deficient.... meaning i get red real fast, i can also get drunk off of one beer. so i dont drink or even like drinking

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    I pretty much don't drink at all. Going out to a nice restaurant, my wife and I might split a mixed drink, but that's about it. I'm probably older than most of ya'll (55) and was never a heavy or even moderate drinker. I've been avoiding alcohol and pretty health conscious for the last good many years, so my liver, kidney's, brain, etc have really been thanking me lately.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    All I'm going to say is that alcohol and guns don't go together and that I few extra scraps of metal to set off x-ray detectors at the airport to remind me.

I have some VERY graphic accident scene photos (complete with fresh body parts) at work to remind people why drinking and driving don't mix. If anyone wants copies pm me your email and I'll send them to you next week. Show them to your pre-teens...

Top Bottom