My 6.8 spc AR build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I had a lower built that was in the back of the safe for a few years and I decided it was time to do something with it. I looked around and read a bunch of stuff and settled on the 6.8spc because I wanted something that I could hunt both deer and hogs with.

I have had only a limited amount of time behind this gun and I already love the caliber. I know it will serve well for what I want it too.

The rifle is still a work in progress but below you will find a few photos of the rifle.

First a little about the rifle.

Essential Arms Lower
    RRA lower parts kit
    16" SpecII Stainless Barrel.
    UTG Pro handguard
    LUTH-AR MBA stock. (originally A2)
    BCMGunfighter Charging Handle
    Prostaff 5 3-14x40 BDC
    Burris PEPR Mount

Wanting to upgrade the grip still and also a new trigger of some kind. Not sure which yet.

First trip to the range proved to be one of those "if it can go wrong it will go wrong" days.
    That hurricane that hit Mexico was coming in and the winds were really high. My shooting bench broke, target sand broke and all I could find was an old 5 gallon bucket to stick a target too. I was shooting mostly free handed and so my shots were not very trackable. I got it on paper and that was good enough for that day.

Second time to the range went a little better. Still did not have a bench to really dial in my scope and was shooting off of a sawhorse standing up cause I was too tall to have down.

Here are some of the groups that time. (still not the best but def. good enough for some hunting unless I get to the range again in the meantime)

Four shot group

Another 4 shot group

Last two shots of the day before I had to stop shooting.

The rifle does its part but I am very rusty having not done any real shooting for accuracy in a couple years. It feels good to be back shooting again.

My son on the rifle (he is short enough to shoot it with the saw horse sitting down.

All groups were shot right around 120-130 yards.

I will prob. end up doing a camo job on the gun and scope.

Any trigger recommendations? That factory trigger has to go.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Nice rifle bud. I recommend either a MFT or Umbrella grip and either geissele or lantac trigger.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    I use CMC 3.5lb curved style and love them (and they cost a bit less than some of the others).

Another option for a straighter grip is a MagPul MOE K2 or K2+ (rubberized coating).

With more time behind it, you'll see those groups tighten up. It's looking good, I like the changes you made.

This is 3rnds at 100yrds with a 16in middy ARP barrel, 110gr OTMs, calm conditions, just for reference. ;)

6.8 sight in.jpg

The 4th round (high on the right) is from previous strings getting it sighted in.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I use CMC 3.5lb curved style and love them (and they cost a bit less than some of the others).

Another option for a straighter grip is a MagPul MOE K2 or K2+ (rubberized coating).

With more time behind it, you'll see those groups tighten up. It's looking good, I like the changes you made.

This is 3rnds at 100yrds with a 16in middy ARP barrel, 110gr OTMs, calm conditions, just for reference. ;)

View attachment 60105

The 4th round (high on the right) is from previous strings getting it sighted in.

Thanks man. My next build will have one of those barrels and one of his bolts. I'm sure I can do better on the accuracy. A trigger will help I'm sure. This one is pretty stout.

Great groups by the way. Any pics of your rifle?

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    6.8 is my preferred AR hunting round too. Great choice. I picked a small square folding picnic table from Academy which might be an inexpensive option to get ya'll more comfortable and stable while shooting. Pretty sure I've seen that rifle at 68forums. Have a great hunting season!

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    6.8 is my preferred AR hunting round too. Great choice. I picked a small square folding picnic table from Academy which might be an inexpensive option to get ya'll more comfortable and stable while shooting. Pretty sure I've seen that rifle at 68forums. Have a great hunting season!

Yes, I posted it on the 68forums also.

I am planning on repairing our bench soon. Just have not got around to it yet.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Haven't taken a pic of them in a while, but I took this for yall.

This is a Hornady 120gr SST that was recovered from a doe I shot this morning. It went in one shoulder, scrambled everything in between, went through the other shoulder, and stopped just below the hide. It was about an 85yrd shot.

The other doe I shot was at about 65yrds, complete pass through, tangerine sized hole where it came out trailing lung & heart matter.

The young buck my wife shot went 10yrds and crashed. It was her first deer, she was excited & nervous and shot him a little far back (nicked the gut).

Attachments

• 20151121_174714-1.jpg
      20151121_174714-1.jpg
      122.3 KB · Views: 106

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Just got the crows foot wrench I need for my new barrels nuts in yesterday. So now I am going to remove my handguard put on a Syrac adjustable gas block and the new 15" Matrix slim hanguards I got so that I can install the muzzle break quick adapter for my Saker 7.62 on the 6.8. hoping to have time to do it this week after Turkey day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom