My boy's first boat ride was a memorable one.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    My neighbor invited Isaiah (my 4 year old) and I to go with him for a boat ride down the Blind River to have a burger at the Blind River Bar on Sunday. Isaiah was very excited and raring to go as he had never been on a boat before. He was asking all sorts of questions like; "Does Mr. Dave have an anchor so we can stop"? I was impressed with his knowledge of boats (he's into Pirates so I guess that is where he got the info) We put in at the St James Boat Club and headed down the river. He loved it and was having a blast. It turns out that the Blind River Bar's kitchen was closed due to AC trouble so we headed up the Diversion Canal to Sarita's. After lunch we got back underway and just as we got out of the no wake zone we had engine trouble. We got towed back to the pier at the restaurant by some 20 somethings who were quite knowledgeable and helpful. A couple of the guys from the other boat worked on it and we thought we had it solved so we got underway again. This time we ended up dead in the water as the no oil alarms were blaring. Isaiah handled the adversity like a trooper. He only asked to go home once when the engine first died and Mr Dave said "uh-oh". I just told him we would be fine and he calmed down and was okay after that. He even handled the stifling heat and rough ride that was the result of being dead in the water very well. We flagged down a Sheriff's patrol boat and they towed us to the nearest boat launch (a private launch that the owners were kind enough to allow us to use) We called our wives to drive to the boat launch where we had put in to get the truck and trailer and drive it the 25 miles or so to where we were. Once Dave was tied off at the launch the Police boat took Isaiah and I to Kevin's where I could get him out of the heat until the ladies arrived. The pretty waitresses were fawning over him and bringing him lemonade the whole time (lucky dog). So, Isaiah not only got to ride on a boat, but he had his first waterborne (minor) emergency and got to ride on a police boat as well. Life is never boring with this kid.

mrcoolonaboat.jpg

Shortly after we put in.

i10atblindriver.jpg

Interstate 10 crosses the Blind River.

theblindriverbar.jpg

The Blind River Bar.

isaiahwantedtoridethato.jpg

We met up with another neighbor for lunch.

havinglunchonthediversi.jpg

Lunch at Sarita's on the Diversion Canal.

somehomesonthediversion.jpg

Some waterside homes near where we were allowed to use a private launch.

beingtowdbtthesheriffsb.jpg

Not the way one wants to end the day on the water.

isaiahpeekinghisheadout.jpg

He loved that "Police Boat" so much that I had to get nasty with Isaiah to get him to listen to me about not sticking his head up out of the hatch while we were being towed.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Looks like he had a good time. Too bad ya'll broke down.

You passed the home of one of our BS member's on your way to Kevins. On the right going from Blind river to Kevins.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Looks like he had a good time. Too bad ya'll broke down.

You passed the home of one of our BS member's on your way to Kevins. On the right going from Blind river to Kevins.
    They've got some damned nice places out there.

Nice of the SO to tow you in.

Glad they are out there.
    They were great! Dave and I sent an email to the department thanking them for their help. It isn't much, but it was heartfelt.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    They were great! Dave and I sent an email to the department thanking them for their help. It isn't much, but it was heartfelt.

That kind of looked like APSO I know LPSO pulls in alot over the summer.

I had a friend that broke down in the Intercostal in Baton Rouge. A tug pushing barges stopped and got him and his boat.
    He was telling them how nice it was of them to go to so much trouble. The Capt. told him he had to stop by law or they could pull his license

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Kids + Boat = Fun

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a boating, skiing, camping family. Our family and two other families with kids my and my brothers age camped out and boated at Lake Corpus Christi frequently. Those are some of the fondest memories I have growing up. It's even more fun with a running boat. ;)

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I'll never forget the look on my son's face last year when he took his first fast ride on a boat. When it planed and started zipping across the sound in Navarre, bouncing the occasional trough, I thought his jaw was gonna hinge backwards like that cartoon on the Reach toothbrush commercial he was smiling so big. Thinking back, I used to love when my grandpa would gun the motor, too. I'd stand in the middle by the split window with my face in the wind and spray, and I couldn't get enough. I wish I had the scratch to get a boat of my own, I'd sure put it to use. That's a nice one in the picks, by the way, looks great for some weekend relaxin.

Top Bottom