My collection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    So I made a trip out to the range earlier and after cleaning, I decided to take a few pictures to show off my handgun collection. So enjoy.

Colt Police Edition .38 special heavy barrel
    picture.php

picture.php

RIA 1911
    picture.php

picture.php

Sig P6
    picture.php

picture.php

Colt Woodsman
    picture.php

picture.php

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks guys, both Colt's were my grandfather's and are in immaculate condition. They are safe queens for the most part, although I usually try and shoot a few boxes through them every year. Out of all my other firearms, they have got to be my favorites. The revolver was actually my grandfather's brother who served in the police force. He was a motorcycle cop and was also a member of their shooting squad. I have two 3'x4' picture frames full of medals from his tournaments and competitions that he competed in using that revolver. I also have the original box and receipt from the Woodsman somewhere as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks man, I was really impressed with the RIA when I first got it. Shoots great, and for the price, you can't beat them. No problems yet, and so far it has proven 100% reliable with the stock mag. Although with some of the other mags I have, the slide doesn't lock back, but that's the only problem that has arisen so far. Even then, the stock mag and a mec-gar mag that I have both lock the slide back.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I can't find my Colt book right now. But what it looks to me that you have there is the Colt Officers Model Target. They were extremely accurate handguns.

Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    I can't find my Colt book right now. But what it looks to me that you have there is the Colt Officers Model Target. They were extremely accurate handguns.

Dave

The only markings on the barrel say Officers model 38 Heavy Barrel. I am pretty sure that you are indeed correct though.

You are also correct about it being extremely accurate. It's heftiness allows almost no felt recoil. I am not kidding. It actually has about the same felt recoil as most .22's, if not less. I would love to also find out how many lb's the trigger pull is set to, because honestly, it is the lightest, crispest trigger that I have felt to date. I am no marksman by any means, but with this revolver in my hands, I will hit what I aim for. At the range earlier today I was making my steel target plates spin all day. On paper targets I can get some insane groupings on whatever I set my sights on. Every time I get someone to shoot it, they fall in love with it.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That's really genuinely interesting. I'm going to look for that darned book more in the morning. Now I'm intrigued by the markings etc. I know it's an OMT that it looks like has an earlier model ejector rod head on it. I've never heard of Colt making a heavy barrel OMT. But that sure doesn't mean they have not done it. They were making weapons to sell. Sometimes they'd throw together weird combinations from left over parts for example (I don't that this is the case here though.) So you'd find weird revolvers that never existed in any catalog but there they are. If it's not too much trouble what is the exact stamping on the side of the barrel? I'd love to know. Thanks!

Dave

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    nice collection, I have a P6 also and must say it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I've herd nothing but good things about the RIA and may pick up one in 9mm to replace the STI trojan I let go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    That's really genuinely interesting. I'm going to look for that darned book more in the morning. Now I'm intrigued by the markings etc. I know it's an OMT that it looks like has an earlier model ejector rod head on it. I've never heard of Colt making a heavy barrel OMT. But that sure doesn't mean they have not done it. They were making weapons to sell. Sometimes they'd throw together weird combinations from left over parts for example (I don't that this is the case here though.) So you'd find weird revolvers that never existed in any catalog but there they are. If it's not too much trouble what is the exact stamping on the side of the barrel? I'd love to know. Thanks!

Dave

On the side of the barrel, the only markings read:

OFFICERS MODEL 38
    HEAVY BARREL

At the top of the barrel it has:

COLT'S PTFA MFG CO HARTFORD, CT U.S.A.
    PAT'D AUG. 5, 1884. JULY 4, 1905. OCT 5, 1926.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Officers Model Targets WERE offered as standard catalog item in heavy barrel configuration. Both in .38 sp and .22 lr. Options were available with either adjustable post or gold bead front sights and there were several factory grip options too, including Ropers. These were from the days when "bullseye" one handed shooting was THE king in shooting sports. Do the medals you have all show the shooter holding the gun one hand extended? Might sound boring in the days of "action shooting sports" and "shooting on the move", but bullseye competition requires LOTS of discipline and a total mastery of fundamentals to be competitive at it. Think National Match at Camp Perry type shooting.

I have an example, same barrel dates as yours, that sports a set of Kings "mirror" front sights. These are an ivory bead with a small mirror recessed into the sight base. It works by reflecting ambient light up onto the white ivory bead. And it works pretty well. That gun is going on 80+ years old, and it STILL shoots much better than I can hold it. IIRC, mine serial numbers to the 1930's.

Enjoy the heck out it. What it was made for imo.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah I agree with Hardballing. LIke I said just because I hadn't heard of it doesn't mean it ain't possible. I have Police Positive Target from 1929 in 22. The handguns from that era are arguably the best Colt put out. You sure do have a nice one there. I sure it's quite literally a tack driver. The Officer's Model Targets are pretty rare birds now a days.

Dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom