My Double Star Lower Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    ok, so I'm starting to think about how I want to build my DoubleStar lower that I have ordered from the group buy, I have two coming, but I'm unsure if I'm going to just sit on the extra or gift it to a friend.

I need help deciding exactly what I should build.
    I currently have one AR-15. It's configured with a collapsible stock and a 16" barrel. I'll keep that one as is (if not maybe swapping the stock for a similar model). That one will be my "battle rifle" for nothing more than to **** off the anti-gunners with the ugliest black gun with extra stuff on it that I can.

...the new gun, however, I want to be a precision rifle. I want a longer barrel, I want to set it up for possible varmint hunting (coyotes, bobcats etc.) or if nothing else to put a .223 bullet in a piece of paper at a decent distance vs. my .22.

now - what I have in mind (which may or may not be what others will agree with, but just to put out what I'm looking at):
    *20" barrel (possibly a 24"?, probably buy a complete upper from RRA)
    *A2 Fixed stock
    *RRA 2 stage trigger
    I'm undecided on how to go on lining up the barrel and the target, I like the idea of iron sights... but don't know what all is available.

Buying parts for this will start probably shortly after hunting season ends which hopefully will coordinate with when the lower should be showing up.

I'm also interested in handling as many AR's in various configurations as possible, if anyone is willing to let me FF your's, I'd like to do so sometime after Jan. 18th (end of our muzzle loader).

Let me know what changes / suggestions you may have.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    For a precision rifle I would first start with a 20 inch barrel minimum. Stay away from chrome lined and a 5.56 or Wylde chamber. Stick with .223 chrome-moly (The heavier the barrel profile, the longer you can shoot accurately without letting the barrel cool down. You don't gain accuracy, but you sustain it longer vs. a thin profile barrel.) Next major decision is going to be what bullet weight will you be shooting most of the time. A heavier bullet will perform better with a faster twist whereas a lighter bullet will over spin and possibly cause stabilization problems with such a high spin.(Say 1:7 for anything 62gr and up, 1:9 for 62gr and under)

The next choice is going to be upper style. Flat top, A2, A1? If you are certain you will stick with irons, an A1 is hard to beat. Good sturdy sights that won't move unless you want them to. If you my possibly stick some optics up there, go with the flat top and some BUIS.

I have heard nothing but good about the Timney trigger kits for the AR's... Just for informational purposes...

If I think of anything else... I'll let you know.

Top Bottom