My first AR build (56k warning?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tstephens11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    I just got done with my first build.
    PARTS:
    DSA blem lower $60
    RRA LPK $70
    ACE stock $90
    Spikes midlength 16" upper $475
    Eotech XPS2-2 $425

Only thing left is a quad rail, and I should be getting that around Nov.
    Awesome first post?
    Now for the pics.
    IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    The "big deal" is that they work.

Many hours of continuous use from the batteries. Tough internals. It holds zero once it's set. The more pricey EoTechs are night vision friendly.

Sure you can go cheaper....but look for cheaper internals that may not handle abuse or even recoil well. When you change batteries, you may have to re-zero the optic. Definitely have to re-zero if you remove the optic and reinstall it.

Off the top of my head, those are just a few reasons why the EoTech is worth it to me...

Also, it's not "very" expensive compared to an AimPoint Comp M4 for example :D

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The "big deal" is that they work.

Many hours of continuous use from the batteries. Tough internals. It holds zero once it's set. The more pricey EoTechs are night vision friendly.

Sure you can go cheaper....but look for cheaper internals that may not handle abuse or even recoil well. When you change batteries, you may have to re-zero the optic. Definitely have to re-zero if you remove the optic and reinstall it.

Off the top of my head, those are just a few reasons why the EoTech is worth it to me...

Also, it's not "very" expensive compared to an AimPoint Comp M4 for example :D

This.

I also find that my eyes are good enough to benefit from the 1 MOA dot (versus the 2-4 of other optics of the same quality). I also like the wider field of view (although on the XPS line, it's a bit smaller than older models), the profile, and the ring that goes with the dot-- it's supposedly really handy in CQB, and definitely makes shooting inside 50 yards a lot faster.

They're no more expensive than Aimpoints, and notably less than ACOGs. In my book, these are the only 3 really hard duty optics of this style (although ACOGs are a group unto themselves) on the market, and in this regard, what's good enough for the military is good enough for me. I certainly don't fault those who prefer other systems of similar quality, but the price (and reliability/durability/repeatability) is the same as the EOTechs.

FWIW, you can find a lot of lightly used EOTechs and Aimpoints for sale and save a few dollars off sticker price that way. While my "best" AR sports an XPS-3, and the one it dethroned sports a 553, I'm in the process of getting a used one together for my AK. I figured since it's what my eyes like the most, I should stay consistent-- but spending more on an optic than I spent on the rifle itself didn't make sense.

Sorry for hijacking the thread! Again, sweet rifle!

tstephens11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    The reason I got the eotech is because I hate the way aimpoints looks mounted, andI didnt want to buy a mount plus the optic. ACOGs are way outside my price range.

Another thing is that eotech has $50 rebates right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom