My first plane restoration

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    If I may ask, what did he do? I don't know anything about him, just that he knows planes.

He's very arrogant and blasphemous of Stanley considering his "passion." There are a number of potential copyright and patent lawsuits Stanley has decided not to pursue because they want to take the high road.

If you want good, unbiased information there is an Austrailian website that has provided me with more info than the other two combined. I lost the link but if you can find it, it is great!

Last edited:

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I had no idea he made planes. Not that I'd ever buy one. I've been super happy with all of my old Stanley tools. But I have noticed he's very critical and mean regarding certain planes Stanley made over the years. He hates the No. 444, but I'd LOVE to have one.

I wouldn't mind trying out a LV or LN, but I'm certainly not paying the price for one!

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Ok, was I the only one thinking this was about an actual airplane??? Opened this thread and was like wtf? lol

looks nice though... good job.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Mixed my first batch of japan last weekend. Finally gave it a whirl on an old butter knife I forged.

5607161301_abf4529e08_b.jpg

5607161097_37c36ba738_b.jpg

It doesn't take much at all to have the surface coated. The tinyest of japan on the brush will suffice. I did one coat, and I left it outside in the sun for a day. It was more of a brown than a black, was incredibly sticky, and it would easily scratch using your fingernail.

Baked it in the oven today for 30 minutes at 250, then 30 minutes at 350, and then 45 minutes at 425. After cooling, it is solid black and has a high gloss. It is extremely solid. A fingernail didn't scratch it, so I got curious. 8 hits with a claw hammer using both the head and claw and not a mark on it. Scratching it with a screwdriver tip only made a mark when I pushed really hard. And this is only one coat. You're supposed to do 4 coats on a plane.

I wish I had an old truck stripped to the bare metal. It would soon be a black truck. ;)

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Nail Gun, I'm now working on a #4, and I'd like to try lapping the sole.

What grit do you usually start and end with?

Sorry, didn't realize you had posted again. I've started with 60 grit before. You'll be hard pressed to remove too much metal. You can start with a couple passes on 220 just to determine how much grinding you're going to have to do. If the 220 removes material from 70%+- of the sole keep going with the 220. If it's 50% go to 120, and so on.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    It's no problem. I started with 100, but realized 60 was better to start with on the planes I was working on. I worked my way up to 220. I lapped a #4 and a #5. A #6 that I just acquired is next.

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    Those are nice planes. Found some of these when my grandfather passed. He was a seabee from WW2 and he had a whole trunk full along with a big kabar knife.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I do have to agree with Leach on one thing. I don't understand the #6. I guess if you were jointing fairly small pieces of lumber it would make sense as a jointer. But it's so much wider and heavier than a #5, yet it's only 4 inches longer. I'd much rather have a #8 for jointing and a #5 for my general purpose.

It's still shaping up to be a nice user though.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    The #6 is one of those odd sizes that many folks don't quite understand. If you have one however, go for it! My bench plane "users" are a #3, #4, #5, #5 1/2, and #7. I would love to add a #2 and #8 to the group. I simplty haven't found a #8 I'm willing to pay for and I don't think I'll ever find a #2 I'd be willing to pay for.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, the #8's, even ones in terrible shape, go for insanely high prices on the Bay. I picked up my #7 for $35 in the Quarter, which I thought was pretty good since I never see them sell on eBay for less than $60-70.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    LOL. Very true.

You don't have to put it into an oven. Some people let their japan cure for 2 weeks to a month.

I figure, if you do it in the summer, the Louisiana heat would have it dry and cured in no time.

Pontchartrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    St Tammany Parish
    I used a product called Evaporust. Let it soak completely under the surface overnight. It removes the rust, but leaves paint and japan. Electrolysis works too, but it will remove the japan.

Something corrosive sat on my cast iron table saw for several weeks. The table top is rusted and pitted in that area. I've used naval jelly to remove the rust but it returns. Do you have any suggestions for removing and filling/sealing that area? I may try Evaporust. Should I fill it with Bondo?

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    The Evaporust got rid of the rust I dealt with, but you need to protect the metal with something, as surface rust returned quickly. I just used WD-40.

I've never tried to fill in pits, so I won't be much of help with that. Perhaps someone else on the board could give you some suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom