My latest Milsurp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Swiss 96/11. That's 1896/1911. This particular rifle began it's life in 1903 as a Swiss 89/96. After 1911 they began to modernize those rifles to shoot the newer GP11 cartridge that was now being used in the Swiss G11 and K11. So at sometime between 1911 and 1918 this rifle had the pistol grip morticed into the stock, the rear sight changed, the barrel swapped, and the magazine well modified to accept the different magazine.

This rifle had a troop tag under the butt plate which was filled out by the Swiss solder it was issued to and contained, his name, unit, year of birth, and address. My tag indicates a solder born in 1900. I suspect that this rifle was issued to only to him for his whole life. Here's why I came up with this theory. Swiss citizens can serve until age 60 in a reserve capacity. Coincidentally this rifle was privatised (Given to a private citizen) in 1960 when he would've been 60. At some time later this rifle was brought back to the Swiss government and sold into the surplus market.

The Swiss armorers would stamp the serial number on the bayonet frequently but not always when the bayonet was issued with the rifle. This particular rifle came with a serial numbered bayonet that matches the rifle.

Now I just have to get it to the range.

Dave

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    You just can't beat a nice milsurp. Price, craftsmanship, quality, history and ruggedness all rolled into one. I love the few I have: M96 Swede, M1 Garand, Enfield, M91/30 & M44 Mosins. As oft said "If only they could talk".

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You just can't beat a nice milsurp. Price, craftsmanship, quality, history and ruggedness all rolled into one. I love the few I have: M96 Swede, M1 Garand, Enfield, M91/30 & M44 Mosins. As oft said "If only they could talk".

You're right. If you could see this rifle inperson it's even more impressive. The amount of machining that went into it's bolt and receiver is incredible. That's particularly true when you take into account that in 1903 they didn't have CNC machines that automatically cut in great precision and accuracy.

The bolt locking lugs are not squared off for example but under cut like trapazoids. The back of the receiver has grooves that match.

It's hard to believe that there was enough talent available to mass produce this rifle. In today's world they've sold us on polymer frames (made in a mold), stamped steel, dull tactical finishes (manufacturers don't have to polish the part), plastic furniture (Molded not grown then cut and fitted).

Oh and the young cool kids think that free floating a barrel is a new idea? No so, sorry. This barrel on the G96/11 is free floated into the wooden stock.

I've got to to the range with it. :)

Dave

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Very Nice! I have a 1947 Swiss K31 (the grandson to that rifle)being shipped now should have it next week. Can't wait to shoot it! Those swiss straight pulls are supposed to be very accurate.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I also have a K31 made in 1935. It was rearsenaled in the 1957 so it doesn't have the walnut stock anymore though. You're right they're almost all universally great shooting rifles.

Dave

Top Bottom