My new CCW pistol M&P 9 Shield

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This last Monday, I decided I needed a new CCW pistol for my trip this coming Monday. I posted about it on facebook and got a flurry of "Buy the new M&P Shield" comments. So I did. Here are my impressions:

I used to carry a G19, but 1/10 casings seemed to come back very near my face, and it limited my clothing at times. I had to dress to the gun on occasion and it stayed home more than it should have. I carried IWB in a Comp-Tac MTAC. This, I will carry in a CTAC. Here are my impressions so far.

Quality is superb. This does not feel like a $450 small pistol. It feels like an H&K, or a SIG (one of the German one's). Solid, sleek (okay, a newer H&K), and durable.

The sights are not available with tritium inserts, but are highly visible even in poor lighting. If you can see your target, you can see your sights.

I wear a size 7 surgical glove and can BARELY get my pinkie situated on the grip with the 7-round magazines. The 8-round magazines defeat the purpose of this pistol and I recommend a larger firearm if you feel inclined to use them.

The trigger is...okay. I prefer the trigger on my last Glock 19 to this, and my father, who loves high-end 1911's because he is a nostalgic kind of guy who nonetheless prefers an M4 at the side of his bed, had the trigger as his only complaint "Needs a trigger job" was his synopsis. Me? I don't know if I agree. I think it is a bit heavier than I like--feels like 6-7#--and it is not crisp or smooth, but it feels like the kind of grit that a few thousand rounds will clean up. I would NOT! let this stop me from buying the pistol.

The Safety...yeah, it has one. However, there is no way it will accidentally be activated, and it comes off VERY readily with a thumb-sweep on the draw.

Accuracy...I produced a group about the size of my spread hand my second magazine through it at 7 yards in failing dusk lighting using 124gr NATO winchester ammunition. I am not on my A-game right now, and the pistol has plenty more in it. It shoots where I point, I just need to get used to pointing a sub-compact.

Recoil...very manageable. It felt easily as controlled as I remember my G19. I am very impressed! It uses an all metal dual recoil assembly with the mainspring being of flatwire design, and the inner spring normal round-coil.

35lu2yd.jpg

6p6ftj.jpg

349ds2b.jpg

11aijbb.jpg

213epuo.jpg

35052xd.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    So where did you pick up one so quick?

I just ordered it offline. Called a place up, verified it was in stock, and got it in the mail headed my way Monday afternoon. 2nd day air. Buying a pistol is pretty quick here. Paperwork took 5 minutes and $10 FFL transfer fee. You and I have to next-day-air a pistol, but FFL's can 2nd day it between each other. So I had to wait 2 days before I got it. Meh.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    They DO have NS for that gun, I have them on mine.

Its the same Dovetail cut that comes on all other M&P's, also Apex has their trigger upgrade kit for this platform on the market.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    They DO have NS for that gun, I have them on mine.

Its the same Dovetail cut that comes on all other M&P's, also Apex has their trigger upgrade kit for this platform on the market.

Very cool! I did not know about the NS. You have to put them on yourself/get a gunsmith to do it, though, no? I certainly didn't see it as an OEM option. I knew Trijicon was working on some. Are they the one's that came out with the ones you are talking about? I would presume the Shield would hit to a different POI than the other M&P's due to recoil characteristics and less dwell-time in the barrel.

The trigger is smoothing out well. I Froglubed it up, dry-fired it a bit, and I feel like it's about where my Glock 19 was, now. In time, I bet it gets pretty decent.

My Talon Grips have not come in yet, but that is one more thing. It's kindof "slick", and I think they will improve that.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I tried 3 different sets of sights on it

First I tried the XS 24/7 because they were a gift from an INdustry friend who has been pushing me into "believing" after the sights, I broke the front sight within a couple of training sessions (still waiting on a replacement from XS)

Then I tried Ameriglo FO front and black back, this setup seemed to work well and POA-POI didnt seem to be affected much, all my other guns run the Ameriglo Pro Glo FS and black back so I switched it to this setup and the front sight is just slightly taller than the Fiber Optic Sight I had tried before so it did change a little bit on POI but not enough to be a deal breaker.

Overall I think I preferred the Fiber front with a black back, on this specific gun.

I have a sight pusher so replacing sights takes all of 3 minutes, if you decide to change them and you can't find anybody to do it let me know and we can make it happen.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I tried 3 different sets of sights on it

First I tried the XS 24/7 because they were a gift from an INdustry friend who has been pushing me into "believing" after the sights, I broke the front sight within a couple of training sessions (still waiting on a replacement from XS)

Then I tried Ameriglo FO front and black back, this setup seemed to work well and POA-POI didnt seem to be affected much, all my other guns run the Ameriglo Pro Glo FS and black back so I switched it to this setup and the front sight is just slightly taller than the Fiber Optic Sight I had tried before so it did change a little bit on POI but not enough to be a deal breaker.

Overall I think I preferred the Fiber front with a black back, on this specific gun.

I have a sight pusher so replacing sights takes all of 3 minutes, if you decide to change them and you can't find anybody to do it let me know and we can make it happen.

Thank-you!

As to the trigger and sights, I want to shoot the gun as it is for a few thousand rounds. If I begin to notice that they are holding me back, I will upgrade at that time.

Brooks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Hattiesburg,MS
    I the SHIELD double action or single action....I have a Ruger LCP and I'm not happy with the double action....soooo I'm looking for something else....thanks

bigoo7e

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Haughton, La. 71037
    I want one ! I have thought about the XDs and I know I want the Shield.

Well once you get the XDs in your hand and squeeze off a few rounds, trust me. You won't want to go down to a 9mm. The XDs was the first 45ACP I have owned and it made me a believer. Hell, after two of my co-workers shot it they both got one within a month of shooting mine. It's a great little gun, I am glad I passed on the Shield and got the XDs!

haryhata.jpg

5rds at 25ft with 230gr PDX1's
    e7agetes.jpg

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I the SHIELD double action or single action....I have a Ruger LCP and I'm not happy with the double action....soooo I'm looking for something else....thanks

Two different animals.

The LCP works on a junky hammered DA design

The Shield is a striked fired weapon (GLOCK, M&P, XD, etc)

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Well once you get the XDs in your hand and squeeze off a few rounds, trust me. You won't want to go down to a 9mm. The XDs was the first 45ACP I have owned and it made me a believer. Hell, after two of my co-workers shot it they both got one within a month of shooting mine. It's a great little gun, I am glad I passed on the Shield and got the XDs!

5rds at 25ft with 230gr PDX1's

Can't stand the XD's myself. Not knocking the the quality of the gun, just the ergonomics don't work for me. Very uncomfortable.

I have the M&p 9 for the wife, I have the M&P 45. Also have a Glock 23 .40, and a Glock 21 .45.
    While the G21 holds more rounds, the M&P is far more comfortable to shoot, and I shoot better with it/.

M&P Shield in 9mm is my next one for concealed carry.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I may be grabbing one of these for myself soon. Granted, in the cooler months, the G19 and 26 are not that bad to conceal. Then again, prior to gaining weight, I was able to conceal a full size 1911 wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt. There is a long story behind the 1911 concealment so I'll give you the abbreviated version. I had an individual arguing that the full-size 1911 was impossible to conceal, and I proved him wrong when I pulled mine out, unloaded it, and placed it on the counter.

Switching gears, I keep saying I want a pocket 9mm to replace my Kel-Tec P3AT, but that thing just disappears into a pocket so easily and makes for a great backup gun.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Also magazines are now available in the market, I picked up a few from Brownells to keep as spares and I usually carry 2 backups when I decide to wear the Shield.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Argh, why did one of my friends have to mention the Springfield XD-S to me? Now I am torn between the M&P Shield and the Springfield. The thing that sucks is that I will end up buying them both before all is said and done.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Another option for those of us that love the M&P platform but HATE the compact version is to cut down the frame of a fullsize to accept compact mags, gives you a longer sight radius and it conceals very well. I sent one of my spare frames to get this done and so far I'm really digging this setup.

Top Bottom