My overdone HD shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    First, yes, I know. It's ridiculous and almost impractical. But I like it.

After years of regretting trading my Mossberg, pistol grip, 20 gauge Cruiser years ago, I figured I should have a home defense shotgun around the house. So, I found one here on the forums and bought it. A Winchester 1300 Speed Pump from Leethar. I didn't know much about Winchesters, but the price was right, the barrel length was only 18 or 20in, it held a lot in the tube, so I jumped on it. It also had the green fiber optic front sight. Well, when I saw it in person, I realized the gun was practically brand new.

It came with the Winchester stock black forend which had to go. I wanted a pistol grip only, so the ATI 6-position stock and pistol grip had to go too. I wanted a forend with rails attached, but most stuff seemed like cheap plastic.

I replaced the forend with a nice Hogue one. I knew I wanted a recoil-reducing Knoxx pistol grip, but in the end chose their copstock pistol grip with wire over-folder (just in case I needed a long shot or something). Plus, I found a Knoxx folder new, cheap and with the Hogue rubber grip already on it (police and military OEM). The folder stock doubles as a carrying handle. Then I added some Uncle Mike's sling swivels. I wanted a padded sling that carries ammo, especially since the folding stock doesn't allow for a side carrier. I could have gotten one for $10 online, but at a gun show I found the nice people from Valor Arms making high-quality, USA made ones for $20. Got that.

I then added a tube-mounted, round, picatinny/weaver mount that would hold up to 3 attachments. I definitely wanted a tac light, so I got a 170 lumen LED one with the rail clamp built into it so it didn't stick out too far. When I got it, I opted for the manual switch instead of the pressure pad. But still, the gun wasn't ridiculous enough, so I got a green laser for it. Just in case, ya know, I needed a daytime shot in the folded position at 20 yds or something...

Ammo: I heard about Aguila mini-shells and then found out that the only gun they cycle in correctly (without modification) was a Winchester 1300. Plus, needing to max this thing out in capacity, I bought a few boxes of their buckshot. I can fit 12 in the tube. I also have some 2 3/4 buck just for the hell of it. I found Aguila birdshot and slugs cheap at the same gun show, so bought that as well. Ammo belt and bandoleer were added for cheap too. Carrybag? $10, Academy.

So, finally, it's just about done. I might get a rail-mounting sling holder to move the sling to the side, instead of between the light and laser. Then I could move the light below to reduce the silly front width of this thing. It just needs a flame thrower or grenade launcher attached to it now... Pics.

win1300finished_side2.jpg

win1300finished_side1.jpg

win1300finished_back.jpg

win1300finished_aguila.jpg

win1300finished_front_close.jpg

win1300finished_front_close_on.jpg

win1300finished_front_top.jpg

win1300finished_front_top_on.jpg

win1300finished_front_under.jpg

Finally, what I bought originally for $200.

SDC10015.jpg

SDC10016.jpg

SDC10017.jpg

SDC10019.jpg

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    Ha ha! Yes, a 3 foot long bayonet. It's the lighting. Natural, overcast light on a black parkerized gun will show up like that.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Man, that is IDEAL and EXACTLY what I would do if I have the wherewithal to do it! Perfect! The ONLY think you might want to add is a nice 14" bayonet!

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    i wish those aguilla wouldl work in my 870 i might ahve to buy a box to try anyway.

some say mine is overdone to. its a little on the heavy side but im not walking 5 miles. with it.. maybe just around the trailer park a few times.. hahah
    attachment.php

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You can overdo things but I don't think you did here. Unless there's a cappucino machine or something I missed. :)

But...the 1300 and the ability to shoot those Aguila's is AWESOME. I have the FN TPS, which is the 1300 action, and being able to double down on the amount in the tube is a pretty cool thing. The slugs are more than accurate enough, the buckshot (four #4 + one #1) is more than enough at indoor distances and just when they think you're out...you're not. :)

Looking for another 1300 right now (BOLO for Defender at the pawn shops I visit), going to "birdhead" the grip as a bedside companion.

Thanks for sharing.

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    Thanks fellas! Ninja, I didn't look too much into it, but the 870 can shoot them with a small modification. The ammo was developed for police and military and they all don't carry 1300s. Very nice weapon you have by the way. I might want to add a sight like yours on mine. I was going to add a heat shield, but it would block my fiber optic front sight.

As for cost and where I got these items, here we go.
    FTF sale for 1300 -$200 (steal)
    Hogue rubber forend - $26 shipped (Ebay)
    Knoxx stock (w Hogue wrap) - $58 shipped (Ebay), retail is much higher
    Uncle Mike swivels - $12 shipped (Ebay). Academy has them for about $10
    Sling - $20, Valor Gear. Uncle Sam's in NY has a Chinese one for $10 shipped.
    Ammo belt - $5 shipped (Ebay)
    Bandoleer - $12 shipped (Ebay)
    Tac light - $35 shipped (Ebay), comes with mount and 2 switches
    Laser - $50 shipped (Ebay), mount and 2 swtiches, seller in Florida
    Ammo: Aguila, first from ammunitiontogo, then gun show. I learned a seller on here can get it at a good price too. Next time, I'll go with him.
    Ammo: Rio reduced recoil 2 3/4 00 buck. About 50 cents a pop. You might want to look into these guys.
    Ammo: S&B Max power 2 3/4 00 buck. Expensive at Cabela's. First thing that caught my eye, so I bought 10, right after I bought the gun in the parking lot :)

Oh, I haven't fired it yet. The gun is much heavier now with all the goodies. That will dampen the recoil a bit too. I'll start with Aguila bird shot, then buck, then slugs, then Rio reduced recoil, then S&B Max ammo. If that is still comfy, I'll go get some 3 inch and test my pain level.

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    HAHA! You know I had to look that term up. Funny thing... I agree :)

Yep, some weapons can take the Aguilas, but its spotty. Their site should have a guide as to what to do to shotguns to make them cycle well.

Backup light, check. Backup laser, check. Backup 380, check.

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    I haven't shot it yet, but I've read up on it. The recoil absorption is only in the pistol grip, so from what I've read, people say it's feels like more recoil with the shoulder stock deployed. Reason being, the wire frame stock, even though it shares the recoil absorption, hurts more than a regular or padded stock. I dunno... I will find out soon.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Hold forward pressure with the off hand, keep yer elbow bent and don't fight the recoil by trying to strong arm it. Just let it rock back like someone shoving on the muzzle and you will be fine. Do NOT lock your wrist! Shoot it lower down... nearer your waist than your chest, dig?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hold forward pressure with the off hand, keep yer elbow bent and don't fight the recoil by trying to strong arm it. Just let it rock back like someone shoving on the muzzle and you will be fine. Do NOT lock your wrist! Shoot it lower down... nearer your waist than your chest, dig?

+1

If it hurts, change it. Fuction over form.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I haven't shot it yet, but I've read up on it. The recoil absorption is only in the pistol grip, so from what I've read, people say it's feels like more recoil with the shoulder stock deployed. Reason being, the wire frame stock, even though it shares the recoil absorption, hurts more than a regular or padded stock. I dunno... I will find out soon.

Pretty much the consensus I have read as well. Keep us posted when you get a chance to shoot it.

Top Bottom