My running log, by JR1572, hijacked by AustinBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Last drill I was surprised by a PT test that I had not prepared for, I drank a Mountain dew, and had some ressies pieces beforehand, and somehow ran a 13:17 2-mile, and promptly threw up the moutain dew, if I had actually drank water the several days leading to it, who knows what I could have ran...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if you ran a 13:00 2-mile you're either an incredibly gifted athlete or a trained runner.

hell the non-olympic record is 10:31. you sure it was 2 miles, and not 1?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I did a marathon last February, and haven't really done any running since, but I challenged the wife to run a half this year, so I really need to start hitting the road again. Good job to anyone that sticks with a training program. The changes in your overall health when going from a couch potato to even a casual runner are incredible.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    if you ran a 13:00 2-mile you're either an incredibly gifted athlete or a trained runner.

hell the non-olympic record is 10:31. you sure it was 2 miles, and not 1?

uh...wut?

I ran a Perfect PFT 3 separate times in the Corps. I wasn't alone either. We all smoked too, before and after.

Where'd you get them records?

:dunno:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    uh...wut?

I ran a Perfect PFT 3 separate times in the Corps. I wasn't alone either. We all smoked too, before and after.

Where'd you get them records?

:dunno:

lol. the world record 2-mile is 8:00 set by Daniel Komen. The AVERAGE olympic 2-mile is 10:51.

I'll bet my salary in a lump sum payment that you don't run a 10:51 2-mile. Most here can't run a 10:51 1-mile.
    This puts a 12:00 2-mile run staggeringly close to Olympic qualification, so if you're doing it in 13:00 without formal training you may be missing your calling sir.

I consider myself a "fast" sprinter. I'm faster than almost anyone I've ever run with in a foot race. But I don't claim to run 30mph like usain bolt. lol

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    lol. the world record 2-mile is 8:00 set by Daniel Komen. The AVERAGE olympic 2-mile is 10:51.

I'll bet my salary in a lump sum payment that you don't run a 10:51 2-mile. Most here can't run a 10:51 1-mile.
    This puts a 12:00 2-mile run staggeringly close to Olympic qualification, so if you're doing it in 13:00 without formal training you may be missing your calling sir.

I consider myself a "fast" sprinter. I'm faster than almost anyone I've ever run with in a foot race. But I don't claim to run 30mph like usain bolt. lol

There is a huge gulf between a 10:51 2-mile and a 13:00 2-mile.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If you're running a 13:00 without formal training, the olympic qualifier isn't a stretch.

You're talking about improving breathing and technique to the tune of ~50 seconds per mile to qualify.

I'll say it again: no one here is running a sub-12 2-mile, and I know this because only 3 of the sub 12 2-mile runners are from the united states (they are all olympic competitors), and i'll play the odds on that bet.

Aah, by the way: running for time on a treadmill is a joke. The belt thats moving while your feet in the air - yeah, that adds up.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Well you'd be broke as a joke.
    I've seen plenty of Marines Run Perfect PFT's.
    My first one was in BootCamp with a 17:55 run.

My fastest time was 17:47.

I've seen Marines leave me in the dust too during the PFT.

However 18-21 minute runs was the norm from what I could tell.
    At least 2/3rd of the Battalion fit in that window.

Don't know what to tell you dude. :dunno:

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm not a marine, but ive never seen a pulmonary function test done outdoors OR without oxygen being spoon fed to the runner.

enlighten me? 17:57 2-mile is certainly quick, but its light years behind our discussion.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    My fastest mile since I started running this year is 8:37. My fastest 2 miles is 20:33. I haven't ran 2 miles in almost a month so Wednesday I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. Today I will rest.

JR1572

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    17:57 2-mile is certainly quick, but its light years behind our discussion.

17:57 Two Mile is sloooooow(for a young Service member) What's the point?

In the Army you have to run a 6½ min. mile to get a perfect @ 13 min two mile.
    Are you saying it's absurd for Soldiers to run Perfect PFT's?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Not at all.

All I said is that without formal training a 13:00 2-mile run isn't a huge stretch from the olympic qualifier. I also said that no one here runs a sub 12 2-mile. If anything, take this discussion as a nod to the level of PT that our service members endure. Note that QUALIFYING to participate and PLACING is abut a 3:00 difference... I love our marines, but most aren't olympic medalists.

not sure where the confusion is coming from? Hell every 5k has a group of guys in the 20-ish minute mark, thats a ~7:00 mile. I know dozens of civilians that do that every year.

And if you think i'd be out some change, here it is: I'll bet my salary in a lump sum payment that you don't run a 10:51 2-mile. If you do, there's a few olympic athletes that you'd overtake per current records. lol

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    not sure where the confusion is coming from?

And if you think i'd be out some change, here it is: I'll bet my salary in a lump sum payment that you don't run a 10:51 2-mile.
    If you do, there's a few olympic athletes that you'd overtake per current records.

I never said I could run that now either, @ 33 years old and non-runner.
    But you said that like it's some sort of an impossible feat that only Olympic Runners are capable of. :dunno:

I'm saying, 18 minute 3 Miles, is something done by about 10 out of every 200 Marines per Company that I saw.

It's not some unicorn in the running scheme of things.

I just asked two retired Army guys in the office.
    One guys fastest 2 miles was 13:20
    the other guy was 13:40's.

They said there were plenty of people there that ran much faster than they did.

So it's not uncommon to see 13 minute 2 miles from non-trained runners.

I mean, you just run in the Military, there's no real training involved. :D

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Fact is that if you run a sub 12 2-mile, you can qualify for the olympics. that was my only point. I said: If he can run a 13:00 2-mile, he's either a gifted athlete or a trained runner. if he has had no formal training he may be missing his calling. It was a "holy crap dude, are you serious?" statement...

Per wiki (credibility debatable) to currently qualify, you need to run 11:56. To place, per current records, you'd need a 9:04 2-mile. surprised to see that myself... holy crap thats fast.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My fastest mile since I started running this year is 8:37. My fastest 2 miles is 20:33. I haven't ran 2 miles in almost a month so Wednesday I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. Today I will rest.

JR1572

thats about where I'm at for my current mile. I'm floating 9-ish, but I'm aiming for a 7:00 this year as the goal. I have no aspiration to run 2 miles :)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Fact is that if you run a sub 12 2-mile, you can qualify for the olympics. that was my only point. I said: If he can run a 13:00 2-mile, he's either a gifted athlete or a trained runner. if he has had no formal training he may be missing his calling. It was a "holy crap dude, are you serious?" statement...

Per wiki (credibility debatable) to currently qualify, you need to run 11:56. To place, per current records, you'd need a 9:04 2-mile. surprised to see that myself... holy crap thats fast.

Lima/Charlie

Check the records for the 5k(200 meters MORE than 3 miles) :eek3:

They run 3 miles in less than 13 minutes.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Um I have army training.... In a pt test for the sheriff's office I ran a 7.04 1 mile, then 2 weeks later I Ran that 13.17 2 mile, wish I could run faster...

Top Bottom