My son wants to try out playing the guitar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Prarieville
    I have an 11 year old that wants to try out the guitar and I have 0 music experience. I was wondering if any of you all might know some place around the Gonzales area where I might start looking and possibly get him some lessons.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    You Tube.

Not kidding -- my best friends kids learned (for the most part) this way....Actually Melanie Hebert from WWLTV posted them playing on the morning show.

Not bad for a couple of punk ass high schoolers! They were about 12 or 13 when they started I think they are 15-16 in this video. Not their best song but the only one that was posted....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3980AHCOQ

BTW - if he sticks with it you will have many days filled with ear shattering guitar licks....you've been warned! hahaha

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    IMG_20130612_205044_890.jpgI have a very nice ibanez s series and line 6 amp for sale. I'll make you a good deal. Let me know if you are interested.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Get a quality tuner, and keep it tuned. I've seen many beginners get frustrated by unturned guitars. And it should be the first thing learned anyway. I've had mine for 5 years and it cost maybe 10 bucks. Oh and I learned many years ago that when practicing and you get pissed off because you can't get something...walk away and come back and try it again. It may sound trivial but, trust me I learned the hard way from these 2 experiences!!!

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    My advice to him:

1. Learn to tune it. Tune the big E with a tuner, tune the rest buy ear, check with the tuner.... learn the intricacies of tuners. Strings and tuners aren't perfect.... guitars aren't perfect instruments, but they are close enough.

2. Learn the basic chords. A, B, C, D, E, F, G and their minors. G, C, and D first. Start with one, strum some rhythm, then practice switching back and forth between two, then three. Go back and forth..... add more chords.... then go to 7th chords..... power chords are pretty easy to start with.... also barre chords.

3. Learn the Minor Pentatonic Scale just back and forth and in all kinds of patterns...... grow from this scale later. The Major Pentatonic Scale is the same shape, just down the neck three half steps (but the roots change).

4. Vibrato and bends..... this is the soul of playing. Start wide and slow vibrato.

Getting through the muscle memory of the chords and scales is the first hard road block. That's a whole lot of work. It's hard work. Blisters, sore fingers.... it's hard.

Good luck!

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have an 11 year old that wants to try out the guitar and I have 0 music experience. I was wondering if any of you all might know some place around the Gonzales area where I might start looking and possibly get him some lessons.

Just be careful LOL!!

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Learning guitar is soooo much cheaper / easier than when I first stared playing in 88. There are starter kits at Guitar Center. Catch them on sale very cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom