name that snake! broad banded water snake, Thanks Mojo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Pain

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge (Central)
    broad banded water snake
    photo-6.jpgphoto-7.jpg

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Non venomous yes but water snakes in general have the worst disposition of any snake I've met. Just wait till he's full grown if you think he's aggressive now. Besides non stop biting their other main line of defense is to spray ****, **** and musk all over you.
    No they don't play well with others.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Probably nothing if they're about the same size. Neither one of those two are cannibalistic. I've kept water snakes before and sometimes they get used to you and calm down and sometimes not. With all of the great snakes on your property I wouldn't bother trying to keep this one for very long. Water snakes don't do well in captivity unless you have a large containment area.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    You hit it on the head! I used to TRY to keep the damn things as pets but they were way too hard to deal with and it was just easier to let them go. I think I've been bitten more times by a water snake more than any others combined--non venomous of course. The thing about them is they absolutely STINK. Once they are out of the water and in your net or whatever, be prepared for a nasty smell. Moccossins do the same thing....you can just smell the damn things!! My best pet snakes were Hog Nosed snakes..

Major Pain

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge (Central)
    ok so i put them in the same tank (40 Gallon long) and when i woke up i found the banded snake dead, midland killed it. Im happy that out of the two i still have the midland brown snake. Lesson learned, don't mix snakes. :)

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Ooops, that's unusual. You must have one badass little brown snake. Don't worry, where you live the Bandeds are a dime a dozen and the Midland Brown is not as common. You sure the Midland killled it?

Major Pain

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge (Central)
    well, it was doing good last night and this morning it was upside down. nothing in the tank other then the snakes. Its cool tho, I'm happy the midland survived. This am the midland shed it skin, that was fun to watch. It was very elegant.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom