Nano vs Shield vs XDS vs LC9

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Had the Nano. Bought it used for a great deal, but I ended up not liking it too much. I had issues with the trigger, and I pulled everything too severely to the down-left.

Traded it for XDS-9, and I love it. Still pull very slightly to the down-left, but it's getting better with time. (It clearly has to do with pinky not being on the grip.)

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I like the weight of the Nano. Although, it does seem a little top heavy, it does handle recoil much better because of the added weight. It is the heaviest out of the four I've listed. The one thing I don't like about the Nano is the oversized base plates for the mag. They print rather easily in jean pockets. I don't wear oversized pants so everything prints on me. Other than that, I'm pretty confident with the gun. It is a departure from my normal carry (S&W 642) and the only draw back to doing this is that it might turn into a disturbing trend called "carry rotation". I've always hated that concept and stick what has worked for me for years in terms of shooting and carrying. But, like someone says...... why not try new things, and if it doesn't work, then I always have my standby to fall back on.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I had a Kahr CM9 and sold it. Bought a Sig P290RS as it is nearly the same size as the Kahr. Still breaking it in, but it seems to have sharper recoil than the Kahr even though it weighs more. Also has an 8 rd extended mag along with flush 6 rounder, which is nice. If it doesn't improve soon, may look at selling for a PM9. True pocketable 9 with a comfortable grip. Kahr would be my no. 1, even though it's not on the list.

I hate the feel of the nano, the trigger guard comes down too far and digs into my middle finger, and the others are too big for pocket carry (for me). That's why I went Kahr to start.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I had an LC9 for a short minute. My biggest complaint about it was the mag release. I don't know if that particular gun had an overly sensitive release or not, but every time I shot it, the mag would fall out due to my finger touching it. Drawing it from concealment was a challenge because of the possibility of the mag either halfway or completely out.

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Lots of love for the shield in this thread. I had a CW9 just didn't fit for me. Went with the xds45 instead, just felt better in hand than the nano or shield. Never held or shot the lc9.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    Lots of love for the shield in this thread. I had a CW9 just didn't fit for me. Went with the xds45 instead, just felt better in hand than the nano or shield. Never held or shot the lc9.

The XDs guns feel good in the hand. I went with the Shield no safety version in 9mm. Recoil is no big deal. Reloads are easy. Good sights and good night sight options. I think the Shielf is less prone to rust than the XD guns.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I have tried all four and owned three of them...

1. There's just something about the shape of the Nano that was awkward to me. It just didn't feel right in my hand and no matter what I did to improve it, it just never seemed to make it any better overall. Also, adding the extended magazine felt like the grip became longer than the pistol itself.

2. The XDs did it's job... fired consistently, minimal failures if any, came with a bunch of accessories I would never have used. Even came with a nice case that had picatinny rails on the sides (not sure why). Again, didn't feel right in my hand and caused some grip rash over long range visits (even more-so with the .45). The grip made it a little hard not to print with the clothes I wear and it was a little snappy in 9 and 45... got rid of it following the recall because of the "solution" they provided. In my opinion, the roll pin they installed could easily slip left or right preventing the safety from depressing and causing the weapon not to fire when needed.

3. The LC9 trigger was horrible, felt great in my hand with the extended magazines or the factory mags and finger extension. It put rounds on target and was light on the recoil. It concealed perfectly with no printing and its shape seemed to lend to that even just placed in a pocket at times. I really enjoyed the functionality of the LC9, however, the trigger really killed it for me. **HOWEVER** see the SIDE NOTE below regarding the LC9.

4. The shield is the nicest one of the four. Great ergonomics, not too "stubby" or long and the extended magazine incorporated into the overall feel of the weapon nicely. Handled the recoil nicely of every type of round I put through it, defensive or otherwise. Trigger is a typical Smith trigger... and it's great and I loved the extended trigger guard, especially for high stress situations.

** SIDE NOTE ** - Since it's release, I have purchased the LC9s, making it my primary carry for now. It incorporates everything I liked about the LC9, except with an INCREDIBLE trigger.

no70157

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Raceland
    I went with a Kahr PM9 because of the reputation for having good triggers and quality. It is a great carry pistol and extremely accurate.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    A LOT of folks are coming to the range with the new LC9S - emphasis on the "S"!. Different animal than the LC9. Except for the fact that some shooters ND the first round expecting a horrible trigger (they are pointing at the target before putting finger on trigger, so no harm, no foul) this little gun WORKS. Excellent accuracy from 7-25 yards on steel targets. I don't personally like the manual safety (or pocket 9's in general) but I would own one of these if the need arose. The Shield 9 ain't too bad either - seeing a lot of those here also. Seems to be a lot of good choices out there for CCW - good for us.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I went with the lc9. I liked it over the others for thinness and concealability. The shield is the nicest feeling in my hand and will probably add one sooner or later.

Top Bottom